Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

7 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Thank you Owl and other contributors for the entertainment. 

ps Owl I’m getting your rain, only 28mm so far today but it’s just started up again. 
The past 3 days have yielded 98, 102 and 104mm ! 

Very dry here HP.

I need rain to activate the cow poopoo and the dried out cassava waste,. which will be dust before too long.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Whatever happened to the Royal rainmakers?

Artificial Rain-Making Operation Plan Adjusted as Drought Looms -  สำนักข่าวไทย อสมท

I looked into ''Cloud Seeding' when I first arrived here.

I think it started in the US in the late 20s or early 30s. But didn't a Swiss committee award a medal back in 1970?

Anyway, best if there is plenty of cloud when the seeding starts. the heavier the better. No cloud; no rain!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, farmerjo said:

I think you have mentioned the darts before Owl.

This gets the blood pumping.

Thanks for that Jo. Caught up with the final this morning.

What a match, and as you say; what a leg!!!!

Reminds me of that night in the 'Squirrel and Chicken'. I was on fire at the oche.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

It's about 30 years since I last had a game of darts. I brought them with me when I came to live here in 2009, but they've been lying in a drawer all this time, until I took them out a few minutes ago to take the picture. I was quite keen in those days. Here is a photo of my main set (right) and backup set (left). I doubt they will see the light of day again.

IMG_20230104_211714[1].jpg

Exactly the same here.

Darts still in a drawer somewhere. Not been used since I've been here.

Is it not illegal to play darts in Thailand?

14 minutes ago, d4dang said:

Durian in Essarn? That won't be easy.

We have had a few trees planted at the farm. None survived. Went to see a man about a dog in the week, his wife had also planted durian trees and the same; all died.

I think it's lack of moisture in the air for so long up here. Not rain, or not watering, just low humidity for months on end.

• Like 1

Went o see a dog farm on Monday.

Lots of Thai Ridgeback puppies for sale. Not cheap though.

Mrs Owl found a nice quiet one; Oscar. Just 10 weeks old.

11oacar.png.6310035c9ef55f28a13c6e63619f3b05.png

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

When I first arrived in Thailand, I stayed at the Canterbury Tales in Patts. The boss Dave told me of a bar, that was popular with dart playing farangs. It was raided by the peelers and the board confiscated.

Can play darts at the fairs though. Just have to stay away from the black and zeroes.

Three in the '9' wins top prize.

1011527459_tedwin.png.b19a38e8bdeb68378fa611a32c0295b8.png

And if you are good - like me - can win lots of nice stuff for the wife.

teds.png.d3db67258aec460a0c352d22015c37ce.png

Very suspicious that your better half's head has been removed in this photo yet further down the page Mrs Owl is proudly posing with her dog.

A suspicious soul might suspect the happy recipient of Owl's skilful winnings is in fact the hat lady ( with the hat removed of course).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

We have had a few trees planted at the farm. None survived. Went to see a man about a dog in the week, his wife had also planted durian trees and the same; all died.

I think it's lack of moisture in the air for so long up here. Not rain, or not watering, just low humidity for months on end.

Not true Owl, there's some planted near us in a couple of locations that are doing well. One small grove produced plenty of  fruit but some blastard liberated the whole lot one night 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bannork said:

Not true Owl, there's some planted near us in a couple of locations that are doing well. One small grove produced plenty of  fruit but some blastard liberated the whole lot one night 

If it's not a low humidity problem, why do you think there are so many failures at growing durian?

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

These puppies are all Thai Ridgebacks.

They have a decent write-up. Good with kids. Good as guard-dogs. Very good confronting snakes; even cobras and vipers. Generally a healthy dog. I'm not sure they get on well with cats though.

In the US they go for ridiculous amounts. 4k dollars is not uncommon.

Mrs Owl liked a doggie named Oscar, while Mildred liked Robert. We will see.

I'm going back to the kennels on Saturday.

More on this canine saga next Owl Log on Sunday.

Just read up on Thai Ridgies and I will steer clear. While I have had dogs before, they were all quite easy to train, whereas Ridgies are apparently quite difficult. Also the amount of daily exercise they require is quite high and they can be over protective and agressive to strangers and other animals. You will certainly have your hands full with training. 

One local breed I would stay clear of too, if you leave your gate open, is the Bangkaew. They look nice but boy are they bad tempered and overly protective of their family and home. Excellent breed for keeping neighbors away though. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

How big do these things grow Owl ?

They are not a small dog. Probably a bit more than average. The boss of the kennels has a handsome, fully grown, grey-blue. When I go Saturday I'll get some snaps. Not yet settled on whether we will get one or two. I'll settle for none, but I'm outvoted by the ladies.

Anyone have a problem with Krungthai Bank? Lost quite a few thousand baht out of the account on Tuesday afternoon. Spent an hour at the local branch trying to sort it out yesterday.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, bannork said:

My neighbour's durians coming along nicely. I'd like to take a photo of the trees bearing fruit but they're down a 1 km narrow track with no way to turn round a pickup.

IMG20230106083536.jpg

IMG20230106083523.jpg

IMG20230106083515.jpg

Thanks for that. They look good and green

I've seen lots of attempts around my area, and I've not seen any durian reach maturity.

I put it down to the lack of humidity, but your pics show a different story. Keep us up to speed Bannork if you would.

ps. Not that I like the stinking fruit.

• Haha 1