Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

2 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

There’s also a switch to “ view signature “ on and off which I didn’t realise existed, now see a few posters have a signature !

Can't cram too much tech into my brain for the mo'

Every time you post on the thread Andy, I'm reminded of that lass from Leeds. Maybe that's where I went wrong!

4 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Every time you post on the thread Andy, I'm reminded of that lass from Leeds. Maybe that's where I went wrong!

Yup, she could have been your true soul mate and with a view of Elland Road as well !!, although that’s not much of a plus these days ????

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I prefer your previous signature Owl. Witty, cheerful, and optimistic is how I imagine you.

Did you know that your new signature now appears in all your previous posts, right back to the start of this great topic of yours and beyond.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yup, she could have been your true soul mate and with a view of Elland Road as well !!, although that’s not much of a plus these days ????

I don't even know if she was a Peacock supporter. Never asked her.

For some reason or t'other I had more pressing things on my mind when i was with her.

Straight back; like Burnley. Just three weeks before the off.  Gonna be some big crowds in the championship next season.

3 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I prefer your previous signature Owl. Witty, cheerful, and optimistic is how I imagine you.

Did you know that your new signature now appears in all your previous posts, right back to the start of this great topic of yours and beyond.  

Thanks for that CL.

If I feel more peaceful during the next few years, I'll change it to something more upbeat. Now I know how to do it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I don't even know if she was a Peacock supporter. Never asked her.

For some reason or t'other I had more pressing things on my mind when i was with her.

Straight back; like Burnley. Just three weeks before the off.  Gonna be some big crowds in the championship next season.

Yup, I have some Peacock fan friends back home and although disappointed at the Premier failure are looking forwards to some good games in the championship but they need a good manager first. That Big Sam fiasco was as absurd as the PM race here !!

The alternatives aren’t so great, Bradford City or Park Avenue !!

Edited by Andrew Dwyer

10 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Thanks DJ!

Gradually putting her work on the wall. Have mounted 15 paintings so far, but have run out of board for the present. Three more not in the pic. Don't like these ones. The way they are mounted; not the art.

Pic taken just now at 19-30. Dingy, so not good quality.

1937160069_wallpics.png.61a1852cd53b6c053ae1c21175477170.png

Plenty of rain in South Korea. Serious flooding.

I knew an Indian lady at Uni, who told me in her part of India (before moving to England), every house in the village had a small boat, or a raft, tied up at the back of the house.. The rafts were bamboo platforms with 20 litre plastic drums underneath. Flooded that often in their parts. Not that the houses got swamped as they were built a couple of metre up on posts. But the water would hang about for days and the crafts got them about.

Here in Ayutthaya, the rainfall is not excessive but the danger comes from the river, actually 2 rivers as here is where the Chao Phraya and Pasak converge heading down to BKK. The flooding here mainly comes from the dams releasing water upstream, combined with the rain, and bursting the banks.

Of course it’s the poor , building on the cheap low lying land who suffer the most.

When we see trucks driving round selling those plastic moulded flat bottom boats, most commonly blue , we know things are going to get damp real quick !!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Here in Ayutthaya, the rainfall is not excessive but the danger comes from the river, actually 2 rivers as here is where the Chao Phraya and Pasak converge heading down to BKK. The flooding here mainly comes from the dams releasing water upstream, combined with the rain, and bursting the banks.

Of course it’s the poor , building on the cheap low lying land who suffer the most.

When we see trucks driving round selling those plastic moulded flat bottom boats, most commonly blue , we know things are going to get damp real quick !!

Let the water run down to BKK. It's doomed anyway. Will be uninhabitable in just a few decades. And if Miss Greta is correct; maybe by 2040.

I recall the big flood during Yinluck's reign. One of the reasons used to out her.

The only hope for BKK is a causeway from Pattaya to Hua Hin. Drain it - of cause making sure those Chinese subs are not in that part - and when the sea rises, BKK will be safe.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Let the water run down to BKK. It's doomed anyway. Will be uninhabitable in just a decades. And if Miss Greta is correct; maybe by 2040.

I recall the big flood during Yinluck's reign. One of the reasons used to out her.

The only hope for BKK is a causeway from Pattaya to Hua Hin. Drain it - of cause making sure those Chinese subs are not in that part - and when the sea rises, BKK will be safe.

Actually having water related issues of a different kind now Owl.

Had 5 days without city water, on day 3 a truck came and gave us around 500 litres.

Now the water pressure is so low it cannot make it up to the tank !!, tried a hosepipe from the meter straight to the tank ( more direct route, my underground pipe has a few 90° elbows in it) but no joy !

Anything above waist height and it runs out of steam/water !!, unless we siphon it into some plastic dustbins for showering.

The water situation was never great here but now I feel like we have gone back 50 years overnight.

I hear Phuket has been rationing water recently, I wonder if the same is happening here.

Nobody seems to know what is happening, moobahn head honcho is about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Lack of access to water brings a very rapid realisation of the fragility of our lives and  lifestyle Andy, I'm sure they'll get it sorted for you soon though.

I was just reading an article on Australian ABC about what some major AI developers are calling (p)Doom, the likelihood of AI either being turned against us by others or itself...

Turn off resources like water, food production/supply, electricity etc and we are all back in the stone age...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Lack of access to water brings a very rapid realisation of the fragility of our lives and  lifestyle Andy, I'm sure they'll get it sorted for you soon though.

I was just reading an article on Australian ABC about what some major AI developers are calling (p)Doom, the likelihood of AI either being turned against us by others or itself...

Turn off resources like water, food production/supply, electricity etc and we are all back in the stone age...

Indeed!

What is progress? Great inventions down the years give us progress; or do they?

Clubs.

Spears.

The wheel.

Ability to create fire.

Bow and arrow/crossbow.

Glass.

Sewerage systems.

Water and leccy infrastructure (reservoirs and power stations).

The hand gun.

Motor car.

Aircraft.

Submarines.

Atom bomb.

Television.

Computers

Mobile phones.

Lots of others. They possibly make our lives more convenient, but do they make us happier?

We appear to have cast aside nature for a superior life. The ability to live as our ancestors did has been lost.

My mate once said the worst thing ever in progress, was the day starting handles were no longer necessary on cars. We all laughed at that, but some of these leccy car owners keep a small generator in the back (or front), just in case.

We are at the mercy of progress.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2023 at 9:58 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Actually having water related issues of a different kind now Owl.

Had 5 days without city water, on day 3 a truck came and gave us around 500 litres.

Now the water pressure is so low it cannot make it up to the tank !!, tried a hosepipe from the meter straight to the tank ( more direct route, my underground pipe has a few 90° elbows in it) but no joy !

Anything above waist height and it runs out of steam/water !!, unless we siphon it into some plastic dustbins for showering.

The water situation was never great here but now I feel like we have gone back 50 years overnight.

I hear Phuket has been rationing water recently, I wonder if the same is happening here.

Nobody seems to know what is happening, moobahn head honcho is about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.

A few days ago the water supply was turned off in my new home town for bout 12 hours (they were suppposedly fixing something). When it came back on it stank like buffalo <deleted> and even now it still does not smell good. Sister in law delivered a tank of water drawn from her borehole (not a double entendre) and we are using that at the moment. 

The local market traders and many others are very unhapppy with the situation and signed a petition complaining about the situation. Appararently the local district office has run out of chlorine and has also run out of budget to buy more. They must have done something else to to cause the problem. 

I was contemplating having a borehole drilled when I moved up here but based on info provided by family, didn't think it would be necessary. Changed my mind now but will need to wait until next march or April.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, GarryP said:

A few days ago the water supply was turned off in my new home town for bout 12 hours (they were suppposedly fixing something). When it came back on it stank like buffalo <deleted> and even now it still does not smell good. Sister in law delivered a tank of water drawn from her borehole (not a double entendre) and we are using that at the moment. 

The local market traders and many others are very unhapppy with the situation and signed a petition complaining about the situation. Appararently the local district office has run out of chlorine and has also run out of budget to buy more. They must have done something else to to cause the problem. 

I was contemplating having a borehole drilled when I moved up here but based on info provided by family, didn't think it would be necessary. Changed my mind now but will need to wait until next march or April.  

Yup, mine has been steadily going downhill since we moved in 5 years ago, with the water supply being reduced drastically at the weekends.

I recently upgraded my storage from 700 to 1500 litres but the problem now is such a low pressure it cannot get up into the tank !!

200 houses affected.

The prime suspect is a new moobahn being constructed nearby .

• Like 2

Must say that the water flow and quality in the village is better than when I arrived 15 years ago. We did get a 'no-water' spell for a couple of hours yesterday, but that was a rarity nowadays.

We use water in the kitchen and bathroom. And water the outside plants. This year to wash the dogs. Also odd reasons; like washing out the back of the pick-up. But that's only 1% of the total water consumption. Certainly don't drink it!!

Water bill last month was 110 baht. A bargain!!

Mildred has finished for the day. I'm off to pick her up soon. Will meet her at the back gate at 14-00.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/18/2023 at 11:13 AM, GarryP said:

we installed a borehole-pump 2 panels we pump into the fish pond all the land and the house tank so now no gov water cost 26k so well worth it ????

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pickettywitch said:

Im in the village and the farms here _ and you at 75 still bloody climbing ladders _ how many expats regret that after slipping!

Expecting an old owl to not climb ladders is like expecting him to not watch that round ball game…

Just maintain 3 points of contact please Owl. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, pickettywitch said:

Im in the village and the farms here _ and you at 75 still bloody climbing ladd.ers _ how many expats regret that after slipping!

You are hinting that I shouldn't climb up on the roofs via the ladder?! You are probably right there PW.

'Have to be careful'; said the actress to the bishop.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, pickettywitch said:

we installed a borehole-pump 2 panels we pump into the fish pond all the land and the house tank so now no gov water cost 26k so well worth it ????

You done well with that PW. If I have any dosh left at the end of October, I'll do the same.

2 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Expecting an old owl to not climb ladders is like expecting him to not watch that round ball game…

Just maintain 3 points of contact please Owl. 

Not just the round ball game HP. I just love swimming. And darts. And snooker. And chess

Not so keen on rugby, or women's footy and cricket. And definitely don't like seeing ladies box. But I do like ladies athletics and swimming. And beach volleyball; don't we all!!.

Two daughters toured Canada with an English swim squad. One was with England youth and t'other England south. One was also u/23 world triathlon champion. Took the title in NYC. She now teaches sport science at Uni.

Three points of contact!! In Thailand? You are 'avin' a laff. A local farang, who I knew, got his wife to steady the bottom of the ladder wile he trimmed a tree with a bow-saw.  She went off for some somtam, and left the poor sod on the rickety thing. Unfortunately he is passed now.

• Like 2

On 7/20/2023 at 10:14 AM, owl sees all said:

Not just the round ball game HP. I just love swimming. And darts. And snooker. And chess

Not so keen on rugby, or women's footy and cricket. And definitely don't like seeing ladies box. But I do like ladies athletics and swimming. And beach volleyball; don't we all!!.

Two daughters toured Canada with an English swim squad. One was with England youth and t'other England south. One was also u/23 world triathlon champion. Took the title in NYC. She now teaches sport science at Uni.

Three points of contact!! In Thailand? You are 'avin' a laff. A local farang, who I knew, got his wife to steady the bottom of the ladder wile he trimmed a tree with a bow-saw.  She went off for some somtam, and left the poor sod on the rickety thing. Unfortunately he is passed now.

YES! a can well believe that LOL

33 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

The real problem is that the 4th best keeper in the country, the one who plays in the test team, not only struggles to catch but can’t throw accurately either…

????

Take that monsieur Owl

????

I thought the same HP. I think he meant to roll the ball to the next bowler, or his captain, but it hit the stumps instead.

Never mind. It's only a ball game. I have many relatives in Oz. Most of them in NSW. If they think they are getting a Christmas card (albeit an ecard) they can forget it.

I like swimming and the Ozzies have had some of the greatest of all. Dawn, Grant Hackett, Glen Housman,,,, I could go on ,,,. the Thorpedo and Kieren Perkins.

As for their cricketers! They have produced some of the finest ever cricketers.

But a bit lacking in chess. Can't name any of note.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Haha 1