Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

7 hours ago, sotonowl said:

I'll go with "B" please Owl, which is a pure guess and I refuse to google it.

A good guess Owl.

Ipswich did well last evening. Leeds not so. Leicester eventually cracked a tough nut in Coventry.

My top six come the end of the season:

Saints

Foxes

Hornets

Potters

Canaries

Sky Blues

Dark horse; Swans.

Sorry bro'. Cant find a place for Owls or Peacocks (Andy).

But you never know. It's football after all.

30 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

A good guess Owl.

Ipswich did well last evening. Leeds not so. Leicester eventually cracked a tough nut in Coventry.

My top six come the end of the season:

Saints

Foxes

Hornets

Potters

Canaries

Sky Blues

Dark horse; Swans.

Sorry bro'. Cant find a place for Owls or Peacocks (Andy).

But you never know. It's football after all.

Yup, Leeds should have taken that one, had plenty of chances and succumbed to a couple of scrappy goalmouth scrambled goals by Cardiff.

Thankfully they put the pressure on and took a point in a late goal which probably prevented the crowd from giving them some abuse.

First game always brings some upsets and hopefully Leeds can learn from this.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yup, Leeds should have taken that one, had plenty of chances and succumbed to a couple of scrappy goalmouth scrambled goals by Cardiff.

Thankfully they put the pressure on and took a point in a late goal which probably prevented the crowd from giving them some abuse.

First game always brings some upsets and hopefully Leeds can learn from this.

Listened to the commentary til half time.

What has happened to the swashbuckling approach, that served them so well a couple of seasons back? A change in staff perhaps? But even that shouldn't change the ethos of the team. Look how well Seagulls did last season with a similar mentality.

Biggest crowd of the opening w/e.  Canaries topped 30k too. Not counting that nonsense at Wembley of course.

Edited by owl sees all

40 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Listened to the commentary til half time.

What has happened to the swashbuckling approach, that served them so well a couple of seasons back? A change in staff perhaps? But even that shouldn't change the ethos of the team. Look how well Seagulls did last season with a similar mentality.

Biggest crowd of the opening w/e.  Canaries topped 30k too. Not counting that nonsense at Wembley of course.

Yep, was a packed crowd.

They were pretty dire in the first half but fared better in the second and desperation took over towards the end.

Watched highlights on YouTube this morning.

• Like 2

On 8/6/2023 at 5:38 PM, GarryP said:

Its been raining pretty much all week here in north Kalasin. Can't remember what the sun looks like.  We waited for the anticipated rainy season before planting the Taipei grass, but the rain didn't arrive on time so the missus was watering it twice a day. She's happy now cos she doesn't have to water the garden anymore (at least for a while anyway). Hopefully, another couple of months and the grass will give full cover.

Unlike Owl, I have driven into Udon once a week for the past couple of weeks to get my phone sorted at the Samsung service center. All good now, but a long way to drive to get a phone fixed. A month ago I also paid a visit to go to Index. On the way back I was driving through rain from Kumphwapi to Wangsammo. There was the most amazing lightening storm that I have ever seen all along the route. My wife was terrified and demanded that I turn off the music. I have no idea as to the logic behind that. She kept pulling up her jacket to cover her face as the lightening bolts flashed in front of us. I just never stopped smiling. It was so beautiful. 

Made my own coffee before writing this. ???? My wife has no idea when I would like a tea or coffee unless I am working, so it's up to me. Should I get the whip out?  

Mrs HP is also terrified of “Doom Dum”, like you guys I also love ‘em ????????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bannork said:

'Still raining, still dreaming, ' J Hendrix.

I was born in Southampton so I must support The Saints.

Lucky I'm not a fervent supporter!

We lived near Romsey in a thatched bungalow. It had wonderful, thick white walls. I remember lying in the top bunk, my sister below, watching the next door farmer ploughing his field as sunset drew near. Happy days, and then we moved to Nigeria. Now that was really something, the freedom of the warm and inviting tropics. 

SAVE_20181203_221559.jpg

SAVE_20181203_222119.jpg

SAVE_20181203_222131.jpg

Wonderful pics B. Thanks for sharing.

Is that you in Black with little sister?

Edited by owl sees all

On 8/7/2023 at 7:54 PM, sotonowl said:

Was that correct Owl?

Sorry to hit you with another heart-breaker Owl. No!

a/ Named after a local playground. ------ correct
b/ Named after the founder of the club's wife's first name; Lady Molineux Sabille.
c/ The area had links to Molineux District in France, Going back to 1800s.
d/ Molineux is French for 'great arena', and it was thought appropriate to name the ground thus.

The name originates from Benjamin Molineux. A big landowner in those parts. Molineux Playground was donated to the town.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

An easy-peasy one.

Who is that guy? And what is he doing?

455521055_jacksmokexx.png.ab1a5a189acf27df8ac88a100ac2ff3c.png

Answers on a post-card to,,,,,.

That's big Jack having a smoke.

Them were the days when men were men.

I'm going to guess Terry Cooper in the No 3 shirt.

Edited by chickenslegs
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Wonderful pics B. Thanks for sharing.

Is that you in Black with little sister?

Indeed. Owl. My sister is 18 months younger which doesn't mean a thing now, but as a child it could be quite a gap. I remember playing Monopoly with her one rainy afternoon, I ended up owning hotels on every property from Old Kent Road to Mayfair and Park Lane.

The poor thing, throwing the dice just to constantly get further into debt!

Actually we could invent a Thai version of Monopoly with loan sharks,  'len share' and dodgy online investments!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sotonowl said:

Bloke I worked with many moons ago ran a kids footy team. He took them to watch Wednesday training when Big Jack was manager. Big Jack runs over to my mate, puts a tab end into his mouth and asks my mate for a light. My mate says, "Sorry Jack, I don't smoke now, I've been stopped some time now." Big Jack replies "Oreight pal, I wanted a light not your <deleted> life story."????

Bang on the money Owl.

153906223_jacksmoke.png.49bd4ce5c2a677088b79f02869ccbe26.png

8 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

That's big Jack having a smoke.

Them were the days when men were men.

I'm going to guess Terry Cooper in the No 3 shirt.

Yup. It's big Jack Charlton all right.

You could be right about Terry Cooper CL.

Back in those days, woman expected their men to be 'men'. Now they have to put their hands down yer pants just to be sure.

• Haha 1

These little teasers are just too easy for you enlightened chaps.

2 hours ago, sotonowl said:

Merc?

It was indeed a Merc.

1 hour ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I think it's a merc as well.

144292239_pelecar.png.16d38708331d11e8e08328ed9b086ec0.png

Just one more to see us through to the most exciting week end of the year. Next post.

Who is that in the forest with his Mrs?

Difficult; so a couple of clues. It was Epping Forest. Also a number clue; 43. What's that on yer shirt Mrs?

1890803967_mooreineppingxx.png.a369d4778f47db860d9814700dfe95df.png

Edited by owl sees all

No rain. Sun is almost out.  Getting noticeably warmer.

Looked at the world weather forecast for our village a while back. Rain will start again at 11-35 on Saturday morning. Early end to the wet season in 2023 though. First week in September.

Nut growth is so poor it's not worth the bother of cutting. All the present rain will not help. The damage was don 18/20 months ago in the first quarter of 2022. Very dry then.

5 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Yup. It's big Jack Charlton all right.

You could be right about Terry Cooper CL.

Back in those days, woman expected their men to be 'men'. Now they have to put their hands down yer pants just to be sure.

Haha I love these- back in those days- comments about "men being real men" Yeah! men beating their wives, murdering civilians in war, doing drugs prior and after battle. More like cowards than men

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mintyy said:

Haha I love these- back in those days- comments about "men being real men" Yeah! men beating their wives, murdering civilians in war, doing drugs prior and after battle. More like cowards than men

Indeed!

And going back a bit further,,,,. We would whack the ladies over the head and drag them into the nearest cave, by the hair. She would of course be squealing, and half-hardheartedly struggling, like a little pig, but hoping he didn't see a younger bit of stuff on the way.

Into the cave, and he would have his way with her. Then - as men often do - fall asleep. She - on the other hand - would look around the cave and think that it was not a bad pad. The new lady of the cave would tidy up and chase out any undesirables. She would light a fire, roast a rat or snake, and wait for her man to awake.

He would wake up, smell the food and think; this bird aint no bad catch. Nine months later, little caveboy/girl would pop out and the family was started.

Those were that days. We didn't have anything, but we were happy. Be returning to those day pretty soon I reckon.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Bobby Moore?

Jeeeeezzzzz! Top dollar! Too many clues!!

Bobby and wife wandering through Epping Forest. Lived at number 43 Waverley Gardens, in Barking, Essex. Three lions on the shirt.

1498827020_mooreinepping.png.d69b049417f5a4e551cf56195878c9c6.png

---------------

Last one. No clues. Enough in the image. Want you all to suffer in frustration - 'cause ya don't know -  until kick off at Turf Moor on Saturday.

Who is he? Did he even play football? Was he a boxer? Was he a decathlete? Chess player perhaps!

dalgleashxx.png.0ec3341396f9e688b915dab7a6c54791.png

Have a great one, on Thailand, for Sunday.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Jeeeeezzzzz! Top dollar! Too many clues!!

Bobby and wife wandering through Epping Forest. Lived at number 43 Waverley Gardens, in Barking, Essex. Three lions on the shirt.

1498827020_mooreinepping.png.d69b049417f5a4e551cf56195878c9c6.png

---------------

Last one. No clues. Enough in the image. Want you all to suffer in frustration - 'cause ya don't know -  until kick off at Turf Moor on Saturday.

Who is he? Did he even play football? Was he a boxer? Was he a decathlete? Chess player perhaps!

dalgleashxx.png.0ec3341396f9e688b915dab7a6c54791.png

Have a great one, on Thailand, for Sunday.

Snooker player?