Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

46 minutes ago, rickudon said:

Wow, just realised 3 weeks or more since looking at the thread. So much happening.

For me a few mishaps. After the fantastic UK family holiday, got back on the 11th May, just in time for daughter to start school. First, my one remaining Avocado, 6 years old, which i had given explicit instructions to be watered, was dead. Typical. Hard to rely on extended family here.

Next, was told the old rice field next to the pond was going to be plouged. I had left some piles of branches there left over from the Eucalyptus harvest (another case of the land being left in a mess), so i went down to clear them; trod on a rock and felt a sharp pain, thought it must be a long thorn or nail. Upon investigation, so signs of a wound. Thought nothing of it, expected it would be back to normal in a couple of days. How wrong i was! Couldn't walk on it for more than 5 minutes and pressing the clutch pedal on the car was painful. Took 5 weeks. I had broken a bone in my foot I think.

followed by - management light on car engine came on - 24,000 baht to fix. Air conditioner died in bedroom, another 6,000 to repair.

Then ... Toothache. Antibiotics, visit to dentist and root canal treatment (2 sessions). Crown to follow. Decided it was also time for some blood tests, went to Nong Prajak hospital - result - wouldn't let me leave until i had seen 2 doctors. Chronic Kidney disease (CKD) is getting worse. 

Finally, due to not working on the farm, and wet season, the grass was growing a riot, so contractor employed by wife to cut it. My instructions - "careful of my Date palms". When i went to check, already finished - but so were 3 of my date palms (i have spent two and a half years rearing them from seed), only 2 left. They were about 75 cms tall and about 5-8 cms thick at the base, how can you think they were grass?

I have lost more young trees butchered by  Thai bush cutter/tractor idiots over the last 10 years than i can count.  My M-in-L also helpfully weeds out any of my vegetables i plant if she thinks they are sick, weeds or anything else. Our garden is nearly a desert because she digs up the grass (lawn) and chops down trees and shrubs just because she doesn't like sweeping up leaves. Just about ready to retire to a bar for the rest of my life and drink! 

So have been a bit depressed of late. 

In the wars there Rick lad.

I'll pop over and tell you all about the wife giving away 700k baht to her useless daughter. That'll be sure to cheer you up.

All three of my avocados, at the farm, have died. Will get round, eventually, to taking the ones from outside the house. and replanting them in the dead ones spots, at the farm.

'''Decided it was also time for some blood tests, went to Nong Prajak hospital - result - wouldn't let me leave until i had seen 2 doctors. Chronic Kidney disease (CKD) is getting worse.'''

Could you not have had the tests in the UK?

Chickenlegs, just having a rant. Still alive and should still have a few years left.

Owl, welcome to pop in next time you are in Udon. I live about 500 metres from VP (which you know). Yes, i remember seeing about the wife's debts. Mine had a few - didn't get told about them until after daughter born!

Avocadoes - i started with 6 in pots. Started off well, but eventually started dying off. I planted one in the ground, but didn't matter how regularly i watered it, it slowly died. The one i kept going was planted in a concrete ring with well prepared soil. It was doing fine, but past experience with the others told me that they hate getting waterlogged, they need good drainage. BUT also need regular water. The one in the ring in hot weather needed watering every other day or would start to wilt. 

I was originally diagnose with CKD in 2021 in the UK. But told early stage. Was getting checkups and tests from Bangkok hospital but was a bit expensive. I was hoping to get some tests while in the UK but during the 3 weeks i was there we were so busy ( sight seeing, Chessington world of Adventures, safari park, Hampton court etc.) plus sister-in-laws wedding that never even had time to visit a doctor, only had 2 days free and needed to rest! And have you tried to get an appointment with a UK GP recently? Usually a 2 week wait and similar for tests, have to book in advance and wait a week for results.

I will return to UK next year (alone) as have a number of things to do which have been put off due to Covid. Should have at least 3-4 years before the CKD becomes critical, then maybe back for good - but to be honest probably easier to see a doctor in Thailand currently. Trying to get my diet more in line with what the kidney's need, but that means making more food for myself.

CKD isn't really curable - it is all about slowing it down. Currently the only symptom i have is i get tired after a reasonable bout of physical work - usually need to rest for about 2 hours.

Other things - our ponds are now full, due to the constant drizzle, but not overflowing yet. Have just bought some more Jeramid to grow on for the ponds. Usually overflow 2 out of 3 years. Not sure if i will plant any more trees.....

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rickudon said:

CKD isn't really curable - it is all about slowing it down. Currently the only symptom i have is i get tired after a reasonable bout of physical work - usually need to rest for about 2 hours.

My lovely wife died through a Kidney problem.

She was on dialysis for a few years. Then had a transplant. OK for a year or so, but then complications set in and she left me. As fate would have it, me mum died the same month. That's what brought me to Thailand in the first place.

I reckon the best thing for kidney problems is to take the stress from them. Keep toxins away  Keep sugars away. Keep medications away. I'm due to go to Udon again soon. I'll send you a PM Rick.

Take care out there bro'.

• Love It 1

3 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

My brother died of complications from a kidney transplant Owl , he was 22 years old and i was 19 .

In the military police stationed in Germany they shipped him back home to St James hospital in Leeds immediately.

The RMP were amazing, installed a building in our back garden with light , drainage and a dialysis machine, my parents went to class to learn about building the kidney ( filter ). A sterile environment with masks, gloves and gowns worn at all time, looked like a garden shed outside and an operating room inside.

He had a transplant about 9 months later and all looked good after a further 6 months or so when, on a routine return visit to the hospital they reported complications and about 16 hours later he was gone.

Friends of my parents suggested they should sue the hospital or call for an enquiry, my parents weren’t interested, knew it wouldn’t bring him back and just wanted to be left alone to grieve.

Ironically , when i met my wife here her brother was a monk and also suffering from kidney failure, having dialysis regularly he waited 9 years for a transplant. He got the call from Bangkok around 4 years ago while attending his grandmothers funeral and another brother took him immediately to BKK. 
He had the transplant but the kidney was mounted at the front and gave him a heavily extended stomach something I don’t remember with my brother. The hospital gave him a 10 year expiry date and more or less said that would be that !! Now the family are living on a countdown and talking as if in 10 years time ( 6 now ) he will just expire …… very strange.

He lives a normal life now as a part time taxi/tourist guide but also spends a lot of his time/money in assisting the local temples , I suppose in repayment for the 10 years he spent there.

The 9 years of dialysis have left their mark, while my brother had a fistula ( plug in ) on his wrist for plugging in to the machine the bil has 3 large lumps on his arm, one on his neck and stomach ( both since removed ) as they struggled to find a place to make the vein connection.

He returns to the hospital now every two months for a check and to receive the mountain of medication he still needs, he stays with us on his way there and back for a night and it is always a pleasure, despite his problems he is a cheerful fella.

Apologies for the the long dreary post @owl sees all @rickudon

Thanks Andy for an interesting post. All be it, a sad one.

As far as I can see, it is an accumulation of toxins over a longish period that causes the kidneys to deteriorate.

When the wife was diagnosed with damaged kidneys, I spent a couple of years researching these essential organs. Even went on 'Talk Sport' (late night when it was anything but sport), to speak about the whole thing.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/18/2023 at 2:40 PM, owl sees all said:

Thanks Andy for an interesting post. All be it, a sad one.

As far as I can see, it is an accumulation of toxins over a longish period that causes the kidneys to deteriorate.

When the wife was diagnosed with damaged kidneys, I spent a couple of years researching these essential organs. Even went on 'Talk Sport' (late night when it was anything but sport), to speak about the whole thing.

One thing I have learned about kidneys is their vulnerability to medication, and high blood pressure. For example, commonly used anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen and diclofenac are quite detrimental.

eGFR is one measure used by doctors for kidney function. Mine got as low as 58, I am now back up to 80 with diet and exercise.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

the less said about the Owls the better

Very poor again, but improvement non the less. I didn't check the possession stats after the game but the commentator during the game had it up around 50%. Fortunately the commentators were home fans as well, can't stand listening to the opposition commentators although some aren't too bad. The most concerning thing though is the total lack of threat on goal. There's a breakdown of supply to the strikers, if it isn't resolved then we'll be going back from whence we came.

We appear to have some local lad who's made it good in the states fancying a buy out. He has backers apparently, NFL ex players and reportedly a billionaire on board as well. I reckon he's just a tyre kicker though. Made his money in mental health, Owls supporters need some of that I can tell you. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Favorite part of the day reading Big Owls posts…Thanks 

Thanks for that encouragement DJ.

Had a few more pics to post on the log, but for some reason or t'other; I deleted them.

Must get a grip.

4 hours ago, sotonowl said:

Very poor again, but improvement non the less. I didn't check the possession stats after the game but the commentator during the game had it up around 50%. Fortunately the commentators were home fans as well, can't stand listening to the opposition commentators although some aren't too bad. The most concerning thing though is the total lack of threat on goal. There's a breakdown of supply to the strikers, if it isn't resolved then we'll be going back from whence we came.

We appear to have some local lad who's made it good in the states fancying a buy out. He has backers apparently, NFL ex players and reportedly a billionaire on board as well. I reckon he's just a tyre kicker though. Made his money in mental health, Owls supporters need some of that I can tell you. 

Easy match coming up. Should put Mansfield to the sword. A good result might kick-start the season.

A draw at Cardiff would be OK.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Easy match coming up. Should put Mansfield to the sword. A good result might kick-start the season.

A draw at Cardiff would be OK.

Not gonna happen Owl. The point at Cardiff I mean. I'll watch the game and report on it though.

6 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

They're worried that some imposter might pay your wife's bill. 555

Indeed!

The quorumdum there is that the wife's bill is in fact mine to pay.

Did have an inquiry about one of the farms today. Seems genuine enough. Yes!! It has come to that. Selling one of the beautiful farms to pay the wife's debts off.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

Indeed!

The quorumdum there is that the wife's bill is in fact mine to pay.

Did have an inquiry about one of the farms today. Seems genuine enough. Yes!! It has come to that. Selling one of the beautiful farms to pay the wife's debts off.

Sad news Owl. I hope she will realise the error of her ways and you can save the rest of the farm. Good Luck!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Owls lose again. Four on the spin. But have a doddle of a home game against Mansfield Town this week.

Improved performance again, really should have had a point which would have netted me £20. Think the writing could be on the wall for us, the fans are sick of the Thai owner and want him out. Midweek v Mansfield in a league cup game I think it is, certainly not a league game.

Things are turning toxic now, crowd singing for Chansiri to get out of the club at yesterdays game.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2019 at 12:43 AM, geronimo said:

Great to hear of other expat's lives, especially in Isaan, where I'll be retiring in a few years.

i tried it but its tooo boring for me .good luck .and good health insurance  will be needed

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sorry to hear about Owls and Andrews experiences of CKD. Maybe more common than i thought. I do have a cousin with it, soon to go on dialysis. he is a bit low, as also his wife has Alzheimers and is now in a hospice.

Spent a day and a half at Nong Prajak Public hospital last week, for tests, more tests, and a couple of consultations. I had blood tests, urine tests, Prostate tests, ultrasound twice, an Xray and a CKG. Also gave a bag of medicines for blood pressure, cholesterol and bladder function. Was a bit exhausting being sent from one room to another (every test and consultation was at a different place) and the lack of English in the signs doesn't help you get to the right room/desk. I went via the foreigners office, which i am sure gets you bumped up the priority list as never had to wait more than 20 minutes ( i guess that is because you are paying.....). Took the wife second day which helped. 

All told cost about 6,000 baht, which is a lot cheaper than Bangkok hospital. Apart from the CKD and an enlarged prostate, all was good.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Passed through the tiny peninsula of Udon Thani yesterday on my bicycle ride. Three provinces in one day, Kalasin, Udon and Sakhon Nakhon. Sore as hell now but enjoyed myself. Noticed a big weather difference between the Kham Muang (North Kalasin) and Sakon Nakhon side of the Phu Phan range. Beautiful area and even though those hills were killers on the way up, they were fantastic on the way down. 

58784.jpg

20230827_103626.jpg

20230827_153326.jpg

That's some bike ride Garry. Cracking pics. Thanks for sharing.

The - now gone (left) - poster, Bluesofa, did some long bike rides like you. He told me he cycled to Phen and back from South Udon. That's a fair way.

I once cycled from Dagenham to Southend-on-sea, and back. About 70 miles. A long time ago that. When i was in my 20s.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, rickudon said:

Sorry to hear about Owls and Andrews experiences of CKD. Maybe more common than i thought. I do have a cousin with it, soon to go on dialysis. he is a bit low, as also his wife has Alzheimers and is now in a hospice.

Spent a day and a half at Nong Prajak Public hospital last week, for tests, more tests, and a couple of consultations. I had blood tests, urine tests, Prostate tests, ultrasound twice, an Xray and a CKG. Also gave a bag of medicines for blood pressure, cholesterol and bladder function. Was a bit exhausting being sent from one room to another (every test and consultation was at a different place) and the lack of English in the signs doesn't help you get to the right room/desk. I went via the foreigners office, which i am sure gets you bumped up the priority list as never had to wait more than 20 minutes ( i guess that is because you are paying.....). Took the wife second day which helped. 

All told cost about 6,000 baht, which is a lot cheaper than Bangkok hospital. Apart from the CKD and an enlarged prostate, all was good.

Been there a few times for different people. The old FinL and Umm. Wife's younger brother's wife, when she fell off her m/c.

they have a decent food place just behind the main building. Cheap and simple.

Climbed up on the roof one visit. Took some pics of the park. I'll try to find them among the flash drives,

Try to see to it that I don't have to go to see any medical people. Do self diagnosis and self help. Don't like dentists either. So far so good.

6k baht not too much. A bargain I reckon.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, owl sees all said:

That's some bike ride Garry. Cracking pics. Thanks for sharing.

The - now gone (left) - poster, Bluesofa, did some long bike rides like you. He told me he cycled to Phen and back from South Udon. That's a fair way.

I once cycled from Dagenham to Southend-on-sea, and back. About 70 miles. A long time ago that. When i was in my 20s.

We used to do Romford to Southend & back when I was a kid, there was something about reaching the Kursal that was so satisfying, I have no idea what it was. I think it was about 50 miles for the round trip, a very enjoyable way to spend the day, just had to keep an eye on the traffic on the Eastern Avenue (A12) fit as a fiddle in those days ???? Don't ask me to do it now lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

We used to do Romford to Southend & back when I was a kid, there was something about reaching the Kursal that was so satisfying, I have no idea what it was. I think it was about 50 miles for the round trip, a very enjoyable way to spend the day, just had to keep an eye on the traffic on the Eastern Avenue (A12) fit as a fiddle in those days ???? Don't ask me to do it now lol.

Ah yes!! The Kursal. Did you ever see Southend United play there? I think they were called Southend on Sea back then

I took the A13 route, when I went. Bread and Cheese Hill and all that. Along by the cockle fields.

Anyway; come on you cottagers!!

And talking about Fulham;;  a quiz question.

On Boxing Day 1963, Fulham beat Ipswich 10–1. The match was also notable for what?

a/ The Thames had a particularly high tide and water was breaching the 'Riverside stand'.

b/ A hat-trick was scored in record time.

c/ Jimmy Hill - TV pundit - came on as linesman after the original official twisted his ankle and went off.

d/ Match was going to be abandoned due to a floodlight failure 10 minutes from the end. The game was stopped for 6 minutes before the lights returned. Note: The floodlights had only been installed 4 months earlier.

e/ Nine goals scored in the second half. 2-0 at half time.

Answers on a postcard please.

Edited by owl sees all