Why you want to come live in Thailand?

Yinn

35 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I dont live here, I stay here for the winter and will continue to do so. Thai people are cool, thai culture is cool, I have tons of fun and its not expensive.

But 6 months or so is enough. I have no desire to get water sprayed on me. Have the summer heat beat on me. Breathe the crappy air for more than 6 months. I want to drive fast on good roads, see clean streets that all look the same without litter or hanging wires, hang with friends and or family, maybe go to Vegas or Virginia Beach, catch a fish maybe, take pics of American birds and critters and tall buildings and street hookers, eat REAL STEAKS and REAL LOBSTER and have CHEAP CHEESE and REAL PIZZA and a REAL BURGER. Then when Im bored with all that, Ill come back. In fact, I think I will go to PP and/or Siem Reap , get a Cambo Visa or whatever, then roll over to here and wander up or down the rail lines for a month or two, then back to Cambo etc.

Sounds like a plan. If you like to walk on the wild side, Phnom Penh has got Bangkok beat. Edgy central.

Just don't expect to find any cosy little Georgian restaurants. More likely to find barbecued longtails when walking along Riverside. If you go to Seam Reap, ask a tuk tuk driver to take you to Top Town, run by Khmer Rouge mafia, but lot and lots of lovely ladies. Think Titty Palace in "Dusk 'til Dawn".

Edited by DannyCarlton

39 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

Get Thai insurance early?

You must be joking?

You will suggest to pay 40-50k baht each year for 10-15 years for a maximum of 400k cover?

( most probably ill never claim)

And after paying already 500k im then old, the premium doubles or they wont even insure. great.

What sort of income stream does a people have that can pay this money for nothing over many years please tell!

It was stated that one insurance company will have a 300k deductible and it runs about 25000 baht and he was over 65. For me, I can afford to have useless insurance at 25000 per year in order to rest a bit until I die here with my family at my house. Anyone who uses the i9nsutrance would be crazy to risking to be dropped or to have the premium doubled. 

• Like 1

Off topic and trolling posts/responses removed.

Discussing another member is totally off topic and Trolling, this will not be permitted.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

5 hours ago, Yinn said:

not know about Ko Chang?? Who like there?

I do. I'll be there in January or February.

5 hours ago, Yinn said:

nobody come Ranong. Because rain to much. (Number 1 in

I'll be there too. mangroves, yes? I have gore tex

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yinn said:

And if Issan is because the Issan wife.

You whole list of reasons are pretty good, and the above is absolutely right .

If it wasn't for my wife I wouldn't even know Isaan existed. But I am glad I found it. At this point of my life Issan is right for me, If I didn't have to fly in to Bangkok to get to Khon Kaen, I probably never see Bangkok again. We do pop over there every once in a while when we have visitors to show them around, stay in Krabi for a week. Then back to the real for me world.

But I can understand younger people  , I was also more attracted to loud noises and shiny things when I was younger, Now? not so much, I have seen most of everything outside, now I look inside. 

Not a pretty sight  LOL

• Like 2

Well a couple of decades ago I came for a 3 week holiday and just never left until more recently I returned to Australia for 2 years to qualify for the aged pension.

I might add that my stay has been legal with the correct visa at all times.

Why did I stay? I don't really know, probably seemed like a good idea at the time. Anyhow I like the place, the people and the beautiful scenery where I live. Once you understand the system in Thailand, you adjust to it because it's no good whinging that things aren't the same as back home, consequently I manage to stay happy.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2019 at 2:11 PM, Yinn said:

I go Malaysia, Vietnam, Laos and Nepal already.

Yinn, I like your 'Make Thailand great again' logo.

Will you be the next 'Miss Trump' of Thailand?

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

reasons change.  

1.  change of pace

2.  culture shock to make life more interesting

3.  women, because the game is fun

4.  weather

5.  money goes farther

6.  a challenge to see how long you can last

then you hate the weather, tired of the games, culture is now normal, and after five years you have 'seen that-done that' and you think of vietnam.  

• Like 2

I wanted to come to live in Thailand after falling in love with the place on my first visit in 2004 when I was 47.  Have visited 14 times.  I immediately planned my financial future around earning passive income so I could meet the 65,000 baht income retirement method when I hit 50 so I could have retirement options.  I have greatly exceeded that and literally was one day away from buying the plane ticket in 2009 when I was 52.  But I got a call about a very high paying job in a part of the USA that I liked, so I kept working and made a ton.  Now at 62 1/2 am more than able to retire but due to the changes in Thailand will probably just go there for 6 months of each year, although it is possible I will get lazy and hang out longer.  My initial reasons I was going:

Loved Pattaya because it is easy to walk around, take a baht bus, bus stations to other cities, etc.  I mean I really loved the baht bus idea.

Pretty and pleasant ladies.

Massages of all types really is a draw

More than enough night life.

Thai food as well as plenty of western food options.  More easy and plentiful than where I live in the USA.

Definitely cheaper than the USA, although granted depends on how one lives.  Unless going out to the country, one won't have that 1/2 acre plot of land and an owned house.

I appreciate Buddhism although not the being forced down the throat as the country tends to mandate it.

Did like beach swimming, but Jomtien water so bad now.  It seemed like heaven 15 years ago.

Love AC buses out of Bangkok that in one day can get you to so many cities.  I been to Sukhothai, Korat, etc.

Close to Bangkok if one needs big city stuff. 

Phuket beaches were beautiful with clean water

Ao Nang was gorgeous and relaxing.

Health Insurance seemed reasonable and had many good reports about it

What is now not so attractive:

Income method letter not available for USA residents.  adds paperwork, monthly transfer fees, etc.  Workable, just not liked.

90 day reporting I was not initially aware of years ago, but I guess that was always required.

Baht Exchange rate.  Was 44 to 1 USD when I first went in 2004, now 30 to 1.  That is a huge difference in addition to some normal inflation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/23/2019 at 10:34 PM, rickudon said:

so came for a 10 day holiday to see if there was any fishing (True!). 

Got caught by the fishing park manager...... moved here 2 years later and married her.

Amazing story! 

Yinn: girls aside, nightlife, weather blah blah, Thailand is just easy living with cool people and magic moments that one cannot garner in an overly serious, over-regulated West.

First visited on around-world-trip in the '90s (when it really was great) and immediately knew it was special. It is a MASSIVE, refreshing difference when compared with our boring countries. People on here may slag it off but I think this is mostly frustrated hot air and shouldn't be taken seriously as they may take their lucky life for granted after some time of that easy living.

To Make Thai Great Again... take control (you know what that means) and F the materialistic Western way off!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 11/27/2019 at 5:25 AM, daveAustin said:

Yinn: girls aside, nightlife, weather blah blah, Thailand is just easy living with cool people and magic moments that one cannot garner in an overly serious, over-regulated West.

First visited on around-world-trip in the '90s (when it really was great) and immediately knew it was special. It is a MASSIVE, refreshing difference when compared with our boring countries. People on here may slag it off but I think this is mostly frustrated hot air and shouldn't be taken seriously as they may take their lucky life for granted after some time of that easy living.

To Make Thai Great Again... take control (you know what that means) and F the materialistic Western way off!

You didn't learn anything since the nineties. 

At the time you were a young tourist who found everything cheap (it still is cheap - if you have money - for tourists, but not if you live here) and who found everything relaxed - if you have money (it was not relaxed for the farmers of Buriram; it was deadly serious for them, you should know that).

You could have learned by now that no country is boring. 

NB Resp. "over-regulated West", yes,  there is a lot of truth in it.  But on the other side,  I would be happy if there were no paraquat and glyphosate in my stomach and no PM 2.5 in my lungs and bloodstream...

• Like 1

On 11/19/2019 at 8:06 AM, DJ54 said:

NE?

Stupidity brought me here but sorted it out..... Living in NE in countryside like the country and most the people . Body likes and

functions better in hot weather....  I’m staying as long as I can. 

When do finally leave I hope it’s up in smoke....

On 11/20/2019 at 11:36 AM, Yinn said:

I think weather, cheap and friendly place. Sabai sabai.

IMO different people for different place. IMO

look like more farang woman like Chiangmai. 

look like Aussie like south/Phuket the most. Like the beach.

israel like Ko Phangan, and younger people. And Ko Tao

Old UK single guy like Pattaya for... (everyone know that)

i think if bangkok, is for working. 

Samui the mixture a lot. 

Old people from everywhere where like Hua Hin.

And if Issan is because the Issan wife.

Russia and Chinese to make money/business. Everywhere.

phillipine, Cambodia, Burma, Laos for the job.

i not know about Ko Chang?? Who like there?

nobody come Ranong. Because rain to much. (Number 1 in Thailand!)

GENERALLY SPEAKING. IMO.

Issanbiker come for best somtam, Ortonroad for the best music.

Dear Yinn. I've just written my (true) story why I'm here.

BTW, I can make good Somtham, we even had a Somtham competition in Ubon R. with Transam ( a nice bloke) with his wife and my wife. But they won, I guess they bribed them!

I've been in Ranong a couple of times, but that was many moons ago. People usually go there for a visa run to Myanmar.

There'll be the day when we meet each other and we can have a long chat about Farang and Thai, okay?

In the end, we are not different, some are good and some are bad. 

Same goes for your folks. There are good and bad people in every nation.  

I've got to go to get your Somtham ready........Cheers. Chock Dee...:wai:

Edited by Isaanbiker
Adding chili to Somtham
  • Thanks 2