Quake close to Ratch power plant, but no damage

snoop1130

Quake close to Ratch power plant, but no damage

By THE NATION

800_8d99c1e4990d843.jpg

Ratch Group has assured the Stock Exchange of Thailand that the earthquake in Laos on Thursday (November 21) caused no serious damage to the Hongsa Thermal Power Plant it co-owns close to the quake’s epicentre.

The 6.1-magnitude earthquake that struck at 4.03am, followed by repeated aftershocks, had its epicentre in Hongsa district of Xayaboury province.

A damage-prevention system at the plant was automatically triggered and power generation temporarily halted.

The coal-fired power plant has total installed capacity of 1,878 megawatts. 

An initial investigation by Hongsa Power Company Limited found no one injured and no significant damage. The main structure was not affected.

The company – a joint venture of RH International (Singapore) Corp, an indirect subsidiary of Ratch; Banpu Power; and Lao Holding State Enterprise – continues to closely monitor the situation, Ratch said.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30378602

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-11-21

"No serious damage" is not the same as "no damage". Misleading headline. But given photos I've seen from a Lao news source of quite some considerable damage done to buildings at the power station, I reckon it is a bit too early to state "no serious damage". Have they been inside those chimneys and cooling towers to inspect for any damage yet? I doubt it very much. Investors beware..... And that is not considering the global ecological damage done to the climate by burning dirty lignite! ????

Archived