Bangkok Bank International Money Transfer Problem?

Hi guys, Im not very sure if im posting this to the right place. But having a big problem with Bangkok bank:

Well, i always use Krungthai normally for my international incoming transfers. Great service i can receive the transferred money in 3 working days, no problem. Lovely. Online banking transfer.

Although I knew there will be some problem with Bangkok Bank i decided to try this time. The money is coming from Turkey, transferred via online banking (turkish bank) to Bangkok Bank. Transferred date: 16/11. Its saturday so the things will start on monday, Tuesday day 1 so i should have the money on thursday afternoon (3rd day). The info turkish bank needs on the online transfer screen is above:

- receiver name: ..

- account no: ..

- receiver bank branch: ..

- home address: ..

- Bangkok bank swift code: .. BKKBTHBK

basically thats all.

Today is 22 /11  and im still waiting the money to come to my account. 4 days. So decided to call the bangkok bank and ask if somethings wrong or not. I talked with a very annoying and rude lady on the phone like 5-10 mins. she was telling me to listen to her first when i was trying to tell my problem to her! She didnt even understand correctly the amount of the money and other things, just because she didnt let me to talk on the phone! Anyway. After 10 mins of conversation, she told me that sender must call the sender bank in turkey and give them a payment order or send slip order which is another code starts with M.... and she told me the sender bank must contact to the bangkok bank in london (because its the middle bank) and tell them some other info too. And when i asked her why all the hard work is for, she told me thats how their banks work with the other banks. And i told her why Krungthai not doing anything like this and i can receive the money in 3 days no problem. And doing this for many years now. She said this is bangkok bank! She also added it sometimes takes 5-6 days because of the queue. She said can wait till 7pm. 

So, my question is.. do i need to do really do all that slip code order blah blah stuff, or she was giving me some detailed wrong info? The money is not more than 150 sterling (UK pound) Normally when it arrives, they also change it to thai baht, my account is not pound account. Or i should wait till monday or tuesday and probably the money will be here?

Any advice please. thanks

Lesson learned: Next time continue with Krungthai, this is why ppl stopped using bangkok bank!

Edited by problemfarang

14 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually this does not appear to have anything to do with Bangkok Bank - the money is from your bank in Turkey so they are responsible until it arrives here.  They may route to Bangkok Bank UK or use another method to get it here and Bangkok Bank here would not know that information.  From the SWIFT code appears that is what is being used and time can vary - I would wait a few days.

thanks for the info. Well i told my brother to call the sender bank in turkey and ask them if theres any extra things to do from that side. Because when he used the online transfer the system told him transfer is successful. If there was something wrong it usually says try again.

tbh i also think everything is ok but its only matter of time. But i must say i never waited more than 3 days with Krungthai. I really hope to get the money today afternoon or monday afternoon. As i said she mentioned it may take a week sometimes. Also im kind of confused the all info and must do list she mentioned me on the phone! never did before. Probably she confused with something else?! I think she confused me with transferring high amount of money.. because i told her 150 UK pounds 2 or 3 times but every time she said 150,000 pounds. lol

Edited by problemfarang

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Very common for Thai to misunderstand financial amounts so that could be.  I am sure that bank does not have direct transfer arrangement with Bangkok Bank so a SWIFT transfer would be required via another bank and indeed these can get held up for a week at times.  

It appears Transferwise is another option for sending from Turkey so you might check that method as normally a good exchange rate and upfront fees.

thanks again. Well, sender already entered SWIFT code correctly plus mentioning my branch name and code too. So its probably waiting thing. 

Also maybe she confused me with the ppl who are trying to do their NON-o retirement visa or likewise. Because she also very strictly told me sender has to mention the reason of the transfer such as; education, health... etc. She told me things i never did with Krungthai

I think its just... i must wait little bit more than i waited with Krungthai.

Edited by problemfarang

6 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

Well, sender already entered SWIFT code correctly plus mentioning my branch name and code too.

Branch code is the first 3 digits of your account number but did not see that asked in your OP (just branch name).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Branch code is the first 3 digits of your account number but did not see that asked in your OP (just branch name).

branch code is 4 digits because the branch is inside the company im working for. 1168. I also called to confirm this branch no and the branch name Bangkok bank call center, so theres no mistake with the SWIFT code or the branch code. Plus when the sender entered the code the branch name automatically appeared (i think). Sender entered both.

But with the Krungthai bank, he use only the city name, no branch code or else. Because actually all SWIFT codes are general, if you use swift code the money comes and then transfers to your branch auto. Thats why it always shows XXX the last 3 digits when you entered the swift code. So actually theres no need to enter your branch code that much, of course entering it wont harm.

I talked with a very annoying and rude lady on the phone like 5-10 mins. she was telling me to listen to her first when i was trying to tell my problem to her! She didnt even understand correctly the amount of the money and other things,

unless you speak good thai i wouldn't recommend call center help desks for anything other than easy to explain and understand problems. always seek solutions face to face. my K bank branch doesn't have an english speaker and my thai is terrible but after visiting several branches i found one with an excellent english speaking, very helpful member of staff - i think they can be more helpful when they can clearly understand the problem. anyway, now i always go to her with an issue and get her to speak to my branch if necessary. 

the moral; we are going to face many problems here and have to be inventive and creative in how we solve them. and stay calm ????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, samsensam said:

I talked with a very annoying and rude lady on the phone like 5-10 mins. she was telling me to listen to her first when i was trying to tell my problem to her! She didnt even understand correctly the amount of the money and other things,

unless you speak good thai i wouldn't recommend call center help desks for anything other than easy to explain and understand problems. always seek solutions face to face. my K bank branch doesn't have an english speaker and my thai is terrible but after visiting several branches i found one with an excellent english speaking, very helpful member of staff - i think they can be more helpful when they can clearly understand the problem. anyway, now i always go to her with an issue and get her to speak to my branch if necessary. 

the moral; we are going to face many problems here and have to be inventive and creative in how we solve them. and stay calm ????

thanks for the info.

I think she was speaking english really good. Problem was she was never let me speak! seriously. When i tried to ask her soemthing or say, she always told me please listen to me first!

I can speak thai fluently. So i dont have that much problem.

Also i totally agree with you about Kasikorn bank. I wish i gave my K bank info to the sender than BKKbank. K bank is really great and helpful and also Krungthai. I think best 2 banks in thailand. There is always something with BKKbank! grrrr Im seriously planning to close my acc with BKKbank

Also with the new debit card of BKK bank, now you cannot use it to pay your electricity, interent or water bills via online or phone apps! What a stupid thing!

Edited by problemfarang

BBK Bank has gone daft in the last week or so.. 

I get a tax refund of just under £1,000 every year,, normally is transferred to London Branch and then arrives in my account here all within 3 days...  This time they sent a cheque to me here.. Bangkok Bank cannot, or not interested ? talking to someone at head office on there phone it appeared very difficult and would take at least 2 months before it would appear in my account.. !!

I then went to Trendy Building to pick up my new Passport , on the way back see a SCB Bank at Terminal 21, also have an account.. Never been to this Branch before...  Re cheque = No problem, will appear in my account within 3 weeks... as I was there also change my Passport number = also straight forward no problem...  

Took the MRT back to Bang Yai, and thought might as well do the passport number change at BKK Bank now, 1st = 100% NO can only do in Branch opened the account opened in.... I tried to remind them that I changed Passport number at that Branch 9 years ago...  As for the Branch I opened the normal account that was in year 2000, some 19 + years ago + have lived at my present address 16 years last month. + she had to admit that my present address was on the PC. still = 100% Can not..   I went to another Branch = same same,  next day went to Westgate so tried BKK Bank there, after 35 mins + many phone calls to head office, new number was entered in Both Passbooks...

As for the Debit card............ used to be Visa, was fine everywhere + overseas....... then came the silly Union card = no good anywhere, last year got there new card Mastercard = fine here but payment for my Passport was refused... so say BKK Bank can not give a reason why, thankfully my SCB Debit card was fine

Edit:  this was all last week Wednesday and Westgate Thursday..

Edited by ignis

I have had this problem twice with SWIFT transfers and it is easily resolved.  The receiving bank (in your case Bangkok Bank) can only help if they have the transmission details which the sending bank hold.

So,

1 Request a copy of the sending banks SWIFT (MT103 Form) otherwise known as Proof of Sending Form.  The bank should be able to Email this to you.

2 Send a message to Bangkok Bank via their webpage stating your name as shown in your Bangkok Bank account passbook and your Bangkok Bank account number.  The message that I sent was as follows (details omitted):

"My name is ......

My Bangkok Bank account number is......

I arranged a transfer to my account from (originating country).  It should have arrived (when?).  I have not yet received any notification about its arrival from Bangkok Bank.

I contacted the sending institution.  They sent me the following information:-

(Include copy of MT103 Form here)"

I sent the above message one morning and the problem was resolved within hours by Bangkok Bank.  I suspect that they only deal with these matters during weekdays.

I had a similar issue many years ago with Kasikorn Bank and they immediately spotted by examining the details in the MT 103 Form that the sending bank had made an error in the SWIFT code (too bad that the sending bank's Premier manager hadn't spotted that earlier) and advised that the funds be resent to the correct SWIFT code.

I hope the above is helpful.

Edited by Horatio Poke

BBK Bank has gone daft in the last week or so..

Have not cashed check at Bangkok Bank for many years (have ability to online deposit to a foreign account).  But often bank would say up to 2 months but normally 3 weeks was all it took.

Change of passport has always been only at account bank in the 25 years I have had account.  Passbooks can now be obtained from others but basic account ID still requires home bank AFAIK.

Agree Unionpay is not accepted by many locations but for me hospital visits (at a few different places) it has been.  And that plus ATM is all I use for.  For online purchase use credit card or online banking.  For stores use cash.  For Tops/Lotus delivery use cash.  But agree that card is not a real choice for Thailand and people seem to be having issues with the MasterCard replacement.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 10:49 AM, lopburi3 said:

Actually this does not appear to have anything to do with Bangkok Bank - the money is from your bank in Turkey so they are responsible until it arrives here.  They may route to Bangkok Bank UK or use another method to get it here and Bangkok Bank here would not know that information.  From the SWIFT code appears that is what is being used and time can vary - I would wait a few days.

YOU ARE SO RIGHT! IT IS MOST LIKELY AT THE SENDER BANK END, B B IS USUALLY SPOT ON .

For the last 7 months I have been sending, in sterling, the monthly requirement, for extension of stay, from my UK bank (First Direct) to my Bangkok Bank account. It often arrives same day and never later than the next day and each time with the International Transfer code.

So no complaints here about BBK.

ps no fees at either end????

• Like 2

On 11/22/2019 at 11:01 AM, problemfarang said:

thanks for the info. Well i told my brother to call the sender bank in turkey and ask them if theres any extra things to do from that side. Because when he used the online transfer the system told him transfer is successful. If there was something wrong it usually says try again.

tbh i also think everything is ok but its only matter of time. But i must say i never waited more than 3 days with Krungthai. I really hope to get the money today afternoon or monday afternoon. As i said she mentioned it may take a week sometimes. Also im kind of confused the all info and must do list she mentioned me on the phone! never did before. Probably she confused with something else?! I think she confused me with transferring high amount of money.. because i told her 150 UK pounds 2 or 3 times but every time she said 150,000 pounds. lol

Before I started to use TransferWise, I used to send money using swift from my home bank to Bangkok Bank. It never took longer than 3 banking days. 

On 11/23/2019 at 9:52 AM, Horatio Poke said:

I have had this problem twice with SWIFT transfers and it is easily resolved.  The receiving bank (in your case Bangkok Bank) can only help if they have the transmission details which the sending bank hold.

So,

1 Request a copy of the sending banks SWIFT (MT103 Form) otherwise known as Proof of Sending Form.  The bank should be able to Email this to you.

2 Send a message to Bangkok Bank via their webpage stating your name as shown in your Bangkok Bank account passbook and your Bangkok Bank account number.  The message that I sent was as follows (details omitted):

"My name is ......

My Bangkok Bank account number is......

I arranged a transfer to my account from (originating country).  It should have arrived (when?).  I have not yet received any notification about its arrival from Bangkok Bank.

I contacted the sending institution.  They sent me the following information:-

(Include copy of MT103 Form here)"

I sent the above message one morning and the problem was resolved within hours by Bangkok Bank.  I suspect that they only deal with these matters during weekdays.

I had a similar issue many years ago with Kasikorn Bank and they immediately spotted by examining the details in the MT 103 Form that the sending bank had made an error in the SWIFT code (too bad that the sending bank's Premier manager hadn't spotted that earlier) and advised that the funds be resent to the correct SWIFT code.

I hope the above is helpful.

Hi, i think this might help, thanks a lot.

Do you think it will be better if i take that form MT103 to my bangkok bank branch? or any branch instead of emailing to them or else? I have a feeling my email will send wrong or not reach.

1 hour ago, problemfarang said:

Do you think it will be better if i take that form MT103 to my bangkok bank branch? or any branch instead of emailing to them or else? I have a feeling my email will send wrong or not reach.

I don't know, but.....

...your Bangkok Bank branch might not be the office that deals with incoming international transfers.

My experiences:

Many years ago I had accounts with Kasikorn Bank at a branch in the Sukhumvit area.  I went to the branch when my transfer didn't arrive.  They rang the administrative office in Phayathai and after some discussion sent me there.  Phayathai was the office that dealt with incoming international transfers at the time.  My Sukhumvit branch was not directly involved.

The staff at Phayathai were red hot! They advised me to request the TM103 Form and take it to them.  When I took it to them they examined it for no more than a few seconds and immediately identified the problem as sender error.  They advised me how to proceed with the sender bank and that was that - no drama, no BS, just good professional customer friendly service.

Last year I had a similar problem with a transfer to Bangkok Bank and contacted BB via the "contact us" link on the BB webpage and again the matter was resolved quickly and very professionally.

If I encountered a similar problem in the future I would start by contacting the sender bank and obtaining the TM103 Form from them.  Then I would present the TM103 in an Email conversation with Bangkok Bank via the BB webpage.  If that didn't work I'd visit my BB branch with the TM103 but if I lived in or near Bangkok (which I don't) I'd probably go directly to BB head office which I think is in Silom Road(?).

I hope that the above is helpful.

Edited by Horatio Poke

1 hour ago, problemfarang said:

The reason for the delay is the route your bank in Turkey uses. It's not something Bangkok Bank can do anything about. Start using TransferWise instead of bank to bank transfer. It's faster and cheaper and you can send Turkish Lira.

On 11/23/2019 at 8:52 AM, AsterixThai said:

I changed banks for the same problems and especially the rudeness of the staff.

BKK are rude. Thats a statement. I was there with a letter of IMM they could give me a account. No was the answer the rules are changed and with a smile. I go to Krungthai and I get an account as my SIL was a garantee, Have no money but als no debt. My wife has a BB account for years and a lot of money and wanted to change the branch were the account was made. Before she had E-banking on Laptop and Phone, It can take a month before she have this again. At Krungthai I had E-banking and Phone the same day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max Brok said:

BKK are rude. Thats a statement. I was there with a letter of IMM they could give me a account. No was the answer the rules are changed and with a smile. I go to Krungthai and I get an account as my SIL was a garantee, Have no money but als no debt. My wife has a BB account for years and a lot of money and wanted to change the branch were the account was made. Before she had E-banking on Laptop and Phone, It can take a month before she have this again. At Krungthai I had E-banking and Phone the same day.

This is your opinion, and just because it happened to you, then Bangkok Bank is rude.I have never had any problem with customer service or the manager at my branch. I don't know what "letter" you are talking about,but the correct one is a Certificate of Residence. There's no problem to change branch if you for example move somewhere else.

Edited by Max69xl

I just opened a Bangkok Bank Savings Account in Ubon Ratchathani.

The Qualification and Required Documents are listed here

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account

A few forms to fill and lots of copies to sign, but all done efficiently by a very pleasant lady.

They also helped me set up the Android APP in the branch on the day and I managed to scan the barcode on my AIS bill today and pay it without any fees.

21 minutes ago, The Fat Controller said:

I just opened a Bangkok Bank Savings Account in Ubon Ratchathani.

The Qualification and Required Documents are listed here

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account

A few forms to fill and lots of copies to sign, but all done efficiently by a very pleasant lady.

They also helped me set up the Android APP in the branch on the day and I managed to scan the barcode on my AIS bill today and pay it without any fees.

That's how it's supposed to work when opening an account, but you'll always read complaining posts about Bangkok Bank from people who failed for different reasons. 

On 11/24/2019 at 9:00 PM, Max69xl said:

This is your opinion, and just because it happened to you, then Bangkok Bank is rude.I have never had any problem with customer service or the manager at my branch. I don't know what "letter" you are talking about,but the correct one is a Certificate of Residence. There's no problem to change branch if you for example move somewhere else.

Certificate of Residence was not enough. Cost me also Bht 500

On 11/24/2019 at 9:00 PM, Max69xl said:

This was the main branch in Chaiyaphum. No bankaccount for me and no E banking or Iphone for my wife. With Certificate of Residence. Read the complete story. Then you wil see that it looks like the IMM in every Province. TIT

UPDATE:

hi guys, here is the update of my original post:

I have received the transfer finally, 9 days later from the date it transferred. I was on my way to BB then suddenly i got a text telling me its in my account. So i think it was only matter of.. time and waiting. Thanks for all the posts and comments.

Although my brother send me 110 pounds, I got 2330 baht. when we change it to thai baht its around 4272 baht. And i got only almost half of it. Wow.. great.. thanks banks! And the second thing is i had to wait for 9 days! Krungthai cuts only 600-800 baht one time and have to wait 3 days. Well... no need to say more.

I also think i have to point out few things here. First of all i called all 3 banks, sender (bank in turkey) - middle bank (BB in london) and BB in bangkok (main HQ)

- BB in Bangkok confirmed me there is no way the money could be in my account in the same day or the other day if its transferred via online banking. So i don't know how some people got it in the same day or the next day as they mentioned... hmm. They told me it takes 2 days if someone go to the branch personally. 

- It's very clear that the sender bank in turkey did its job pretty good. The money was in the BB in london the next day afternoon after it's transferred online. They have all the paper work to show that. So it took their one and a half day to transfer it to BB london.

- BB in london told me that, they had to wait for the long queue due to many ppl transferring money to thailand for their retirement visas or likewise. So it took their almost a week for my transaction. they apologized for that. And they told me there is no other middle bank if the money is coming from turkey. So it's not which way turkish bank choose to send, its how BB works. Any transactions from turkey directly goes to BB london.

- BB in bangkok put the money in 1 hour after it arrives here. or whatever left from the money if i should say, lol

well, that was it. Thanks again