Driver's License Guide - Koh Samui

khunPer

19 hours ago, 41632584 said:

Renewed my driver's license on Friday afternoon. 

My usual residence is Bangkok, but I have been staying on Samui since May, interrupted by a two week visit to Bangkok.

Staying at a hotel, I did not have a rental contract to prove my Samui residency, however, the hotel supported my request at Immigration for a Certificate of Residence.

I went to a clinic for the medical certificate and watched the DLT eLearning training video online. The video is strategically interrupted by multiple choice questions and pauses when you open another tab. Once passed, it issues a digital confirmation which is valid for 6 months.

The DLT Samui had originally told the hotel it would only do renewals at 0900 and 1000, but when asked again on Friday morning, they said they would accept the renewal until 1400.

I arrived at 1330 at DLT Samui (Lipa Noi), armed with two sets of signed copies of all the relevant passport pages, one original Certificate of Residence + one color copy, one original medical certificate from a clinic + one color copy, a print out of DLT eLearning confirmation and handed it to the clerk at the counter. There were only a handful people in the building and had a desolate feel to it.

I had to sign two documents for internal use and was sent two the second floor. It was dark and empty. A faint voice called me into one of the unlit rooms, where a man sitting behind a desk asked me to sit down.

He asked me what color I saw on the traffic light that didn't work. When he realized that, he got up and showed me a laminated card pointing to various colored circles and after correctly having answered four times, he signed the paperwork and told me I was done.

I returned downstairs, handed the paperwork and paid 780 baht, waited five minutes, had my picture taken and received the two licenses. In total, it took less than 30 minutes.

did you get a receipt for the 780 baht?

• 3 weeks later...

About drivers license and car tax...

Expired driving licenses are allowed to be used until December 31, 2021 in all over Thailand.

The Land Transport Department in Ko Samui is not opened for the service of new & renewal driving license but it's still opened for car's tax payment service.

(Sorce: Samui Info by Nicha).

240120466_373928777598765_3801140575775624415_n.jpg.1d4bfb2e445c899a20b6107805e5f398.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...