Women Of Samui

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Haven't been yet" Makes your original question sound even more offensive.

Read through the entire thread. I'm not going to apologise again. I "think too much of myself" to keep repeating it. :o

"Not everyone who wants to visit Samui registers for this forum beforehand" But you have.
Yes, I have. Is it a bad thing to want to know more about Samui beyond the usual "tropical island paradise" tourism line?
It seems a little odd that you "plan to stay up to a year at least" in a place that you have never been, and it would appear know little about.

I won't be the first time. But that's where joining this forum (among other sources) comes in.

I knew NOTHING about Samui 9 weeks ago except it was an island and popular tourist destination in Thailand. That's it.

The amount of info that is available via the Internet (not least of which is this forum) and other sources make learning about Samui (or any other place) before moving there much, much easier than say it would have been 10-12 years ago.

Despite calling Estonia home now, I'm no stranger to heat, sand, palm trees, and really large reptiles lurking about. I have been to Thailand before. I plan to spend two weeks in Samui later this year to check things out firsthand before making the final decision on the move. That and spending 9 months on this forum, learning from you guys, :D will make the transition easier.

That's more than I or any expat I know knew/did before moving to Estonia. For those farangs reading this, how much more did you know before deciding to stay in Thailand?

back to the topic -

All I wanted was to just know more about the singles scene on Samui beyond the usual sex trade which, if you believe all you read and what people who have been there tell you, is all Samui has to offer on the subject. Me, I thought I'd ask the people who live there, the people on this forum. Half have been helpful, the other half give me something to type about.

There are many wonderful ladies in Samui, some work in bars some work in other places. they are beautiful and lovely and they will make you a happy man. there are many higly educated girls in Samui, althogh the higher the education they have the more traditional they are.

If you are new to the scence in Samui. I will suggest that you take time and read about Thai culture and Thai way of life. the culture here is very beautifull however very different from europe and if you wish to enter into a relation with a Thai girl you will need to understand and respect her way of life.

I wish you all the luck in finding love and happiness.

Hey OP,

While your question may seem bold - but being from Estonia, I kind of assume perfectly normal, I am saying that because I know some people from nearby areas who are looking for girls the same way, it's just the way its done there - I think it's perfectly valid.

My answer is: Yes.

Here's my thinking - and I assume that you are not one of those guys who will only date blondes 'cause you won't find any of those in Thailand - Thailand is full of beautiful women. They are just as smart or dumb, as well educated or uneducated, as nice/not nice, as honest/not honest than anywhere else in the world. The good thing is though there are more physically attractive ones, so overall, more dating material for you. While you may or may not find what you want - the numbers are certainly looking good.

Needless to say, there will be more educated / smart women in BKK. But you are there for a year which will be well long enough.

I found this girl in the mountains to the north, she was running a Cafe there. Turn out she was from Bangkok and had studied at uni there. And she was sexy and funny at the same time which... extremely rare - hence, no choice but to fall head over heels in love with her and marry her :o

PS: Bargirl-land is a completely different scene. I find it fascinating but if you do not frequent the bargirl-bars you meet perfectly normal people - men and women - like anywhere else. It's not hard to avoid at all. And it's absolutely not true that either "all farangs go to the bargirls" OR that all non-bargirls think that's the case. There's loads of normal tourists, backpackers, and young europeans as well as families around.

That's my experience of Samui anyway - I was there in 2002 and 2003, both times with friends, and the only thing we did with bargirls was play billiard. We actually had no clue about how all this works, we just realized at some point that they want us to go buy them drinks which got old. And when we got friendly with them we were supposed to give the bar some money so she would come with us. Which we didn't do, we found some free vacation love instead :D and soon left those places alone. No judgment, we just didn't know what this was all about. My view on that scene in the meantime has settled into curiosity - I find it neither horrible nor great. It's just the way it is.

Here's my thinking - and I assume that you are not one of those guys who will only date blondes 'cause you won't find any of those in Thailand - Thailand is full of beautiful women.

:o The beaches are full of Farang -blonde- girls....have a stroll along Chaweng and Lamai beach, a.o. beach locations in LOS.

LaoPo

just my opinion as you are aware to many people want to dive in and critasise posts. alot of new shoppping places like Home Pro Lotus Makro etc here now where they require high level of education for many of the positions. best way if you see a girl you like and get the right eye contact just go and talk. alot of the girls in night clubs etc have day jobs but freelance in night clubs at night, so really same as bar girls even though they work in shops etc. i would guess the only way to meet a well educated non bar girl is through working with them. Alot of high class Thai girls would not consider a reationship with us farangs. quite a few of the bar girls have a ood education but got through university or part through got pregnant then got dumped so ended up in bar. more educated ones tend to get long time farang boyfriends prity quick. what your looking for is not easy to find but like you there is no way i could live with a partner who was not educated to a reasonable level. been with my missus 6 years she could read write and speak english when i met her, she had private education through to high school..............but i met her in bar in bkk.

either way you can have some fun looking for what you want

I bet your "missus" speaks and writes better english than you? Geeezzz....

bang on she does, whos the guy in the picture? looked up Geeeezzz in oxford dictionary, even the clever missus never heard it.

just my opinion as you are aware to many people want to dive in and critasise posts. alot of new shoppping places like Home Pro Lotus Makro etc here now where they require high level of education for many of the positions. best way if you see a girl you like and get the right eye contact just go and talk. alot of the girls in night clubs etc have day jobs but freelance in night clubs at night, so really same as bar girls even though they work in shops etc. i would guess the only way to meet a well educated non bar girl is through working with them. Alot of high class Thai girls would not consider a reationship with us farangs. quite a few of the bar girls have a ood education but got through university or part through got pregnant then got dumped so ended up in bar. more educated ones tend to get long time farang boyfriends prity quick. what your looking for is not easy to find but like you there is no way i could live with a partner who was not educated to a reasonable level. been with my missus 6 years she could read write and speak english when i met her, she had private education through to high school..............but i met her in bar in bkk.

either way you can have some fun looking for what you want

I bet your "missus" speaks and writes better english than you? Geeezzz....

bang on she does, whos the guy in the picture? looked up Geeeezzz in oxford dictionary, even the clever missus never heard it.

It is a colloquialism. You better look that one up too. If you think that is a male in my picture then you might want to get a second opinion on the sex of your missus. Does she have big hands and feet? :o

• 2 years later...

The forum has been boring of late and someone digging up that old "only idiots bring children on holiday to Samui" thread gave me the idea of looking up some of my old threads.

Women of Samui was one of the first threads I started almost 2.5 years ago, months before moving to Samui at the end of August 2007. While I usually praise this forum as a great resource for information, most of the people who replied turned out to be clueless. Fortunately for today's TV members, those losers are no longer active. However, there were 2-3 who provided accurate info.

I never did find a Thai woman like I asked about. Not that I ever really bothered looking in the first place. I got jaded pretty quick just observing those around me. But after being here for almost two years I would answer my own question by saying to check out the nurses at the hospitals if I want someone without "bargirl" on their CV.

The forum has been boring of late and someone digging up that old "only idiots bring children on holiday to Samui" thread gave me the idea of looking up some of my old threads.

Women of Samui was one of the first threads I started almost 2.5 years ago, months before moving to Samui at the end of August 2007. While I usually praise this forum as a great resource for information, most of the people who replied turned out to be clueless. Fortunately for today's TV members, those losers are no longer active. However, there were 2-3 who provided accurate info.

I never did find a Thai woman like I asked about. Not that I ever really bothered looking in the first place. I got jaded pretty quick just observing those around me. But after being here for almost two years I would answer my own question by saying to check out the nurses at the hospitals if I want someone without "bargirl" on their CV.

That was insightful and made me think........I have been in Thailand for over 20 years and have seen a lot. What I have not ever seen is a real loving relationship coming out of a bar girl one night stand (seems like it always ends in disaster).

But one of my first friends here met a woman who worked in the medical field, they feel in love, and are living in Hawaii now.

Being an academic, I have had the opportunity to teach nurses in Thailand and found them to be both smart and charming. I can say the same for dental students and medical students.......the top!

They are not about to fall over and drop their panties simply because you are a farang.....they have careers, ambitions......I think you are right on with your observation.

koheesti,i thought you were a long time resident of samui?I wonder where i got that from.no matter.to answer your question maybe you should first think of the JFK statement he made in berlin all those years ago."ask not what my country can do for me but ask "what can i do for my country"

And so ask yourself what can i possibly bring to a relationship with a young uni educated thai lady.What would she want from me in return for her attentions?

I think the answer is very thai,she would want to know if your attentions were honorable,would you take care of her financially etc.As you know wages are generally low here even for people with a uni education,and there's no equal opportunity here like in the west,they need taking care of financially just as the bar girls do.

Can you meet such a lady here on samui?yes i'm sure you can.easier if you are in business here probably or try and join the charity circuit.sur you could meet shop asistants,bank employees,take your chances and ask for a date and see what happens.

Just a little reminder watch the ______The line_____________________________ for new members , please read forum rules before engaging in discussion. :)

Another reminder that I started this thread OVER TWO YEARS ago and I personally am not asking advice on the subject anymore. However, any info might be useful to someone else.

As for my remark on nurses - that was given to me by a friend here who is married to someone in the medical profession. Too bad I haven't had enough reason to hang out around hospitals. Wait, that doesn't sound right :)

Edited by koheesti

Another reminder that I started this thread OVER TWO YEARS ago and I personally am not asking advice on the subject anymore. However, any info might be useful to someone else.

As for my remark on nurses - that was given to me by a friend here who is married to someone in the medical profession. Too bad I haven't had enough reason to hang out around hospitals. Wait, that doesn't sound right :D

I am trying to understand you very good & galant intentions :D""However, any info might be useful to someone else.""

So what is really the purpose of re-opening this can of worms? :)

As for my remark on nurses - that was given to me by a friend here who is married to someone in the medical profession. Too bad I haven't had enough reason to hang out around hospitals. Wait, that doesn't sound right :)

Remember that nurses are professionals with careers and will expect someone of at least similar social standing. Hanging out in bars or clubs would be a nono I would guess.

A lot more effort in building a relationship but well worth it if you have the patience(and are lucky enough to get the chance).

I've known of one nurse who met her husband as a patient in the uk. He was an american and they are now happily settled in Chicago.

You could try it but I can't advise breaking your leg on purpose...maybe just your pinkie.... :D

As for my remark on nurses - that was given to me by a friend here who is married to someone in the medical profession. Too bad I haven't had enough reason to hang out around hospitals. Wait, that doesn't sound right :D

I am trying to understand you very good & galant intentions :D""However, any info might be useful to someone else.""

If it is a can of worms shouldn't it be on the fishing forum?

jdinasia:

What are you bringing to the table that would interest them (local women)?

That's a curious thing to say. But it does resonate.

If "dating" needs some sort of CV, I am almost certainly over-qualified to find a suitable mate here on Samui (Lamai, in fact). I am a university graduate, have an above-average IQ, have held important positions in the oil business and as a journalist, traveled extensively in SE Asia and (maybe the hidden nut in jdinasia's query) have more money than an Issan farmer will make in his lifetime.

The question that I sometimes have is, "What can a girl here bring to the table that would interest me?"

Sex here is like the free bowl of jelly beans at the cashier booth in a restaurant -- pick one you want, pop it into your mouth, pay, go home and watch TV.

I think a woman should be making an effort to attract me, not the other way around, but that isn't the way things are here. Using the allure of sex, women/girls in Samui falsely ransom themselves to men who undervalue their self-worth while over-valuing ersatz intimacy. Pride goes out the window here with so many men who in their own environments would act very differently.

As for education or the lack thereof, I had a friend from the US who repeatedly said that the trouble with the way the woman/girls are in Samui is that they "are all uneducated." I argued that common decency traits like punctuality, honesty and thoughtfulness toward others were traits that are acquired from upbringing and example, not just from schooling. But the longer I am here, the more I am modifying my thoughts. I think, and always have, that eduction "teaches" more than just what is in the textbooks. But until now, I have never lived in a society where nearly all of the people are undereducated and worldly unwise. It is interesting from an sociological aspect to see how people interact in this light.

I might also say this, (and thanks for resurrecting this thread, it's a fascinating subject), I am getting a little tired of meeting women who wish to be "recycled." I mean it's not their fault, but just about everyone you meet out here has already cycled through a relationship that resulted in a child who isn't living here, who needs support (beyond what normal Thais would expect) and are looking for that certain Western guy to "take care" of them. An alien landing here would think that it is normal for girls between the ages of 20 and 30 to have at least one child (generally out of wedlock) that they don't tend for themselves and don't live with, but send money back to the relative who is taking care of the child by finding some man of a different race to cover the costs in exchange for companionship.

So back to the question: What is the dating scene like here? Can you find a suitable match? Answer: While it is not impossible, it is highly unlikely. Although I do love the idea of trolling the hospitals for nurses.

"Back again? How many paper cuts can one person get?"

"I'm clumsy that way...."

And by the way, I re-read this thread and the people who previously offered that the OP was arrogant were off base, in my opinion.

.""

You asked, so don't please delete...the forum has become boring. The longtimers here can guess at the reasons why (everyone has to since it's against the rules to write it here).

btw - I don't remember, did you ask the same question of the person who re-opened the thread about children?

A date at MK's sitting for 2hrs and 48 Min at a pot of slowly simmering Sukiyaki and putting every 6-9 min. a piece of cooked ingredient in your mouth and watching each other, sharing a giggle once in a while - after one survived this ordeal it's off to Major Cineplex - a Thai Movie of course "it's funny" is the information - while she is giggling and laughing the next 123 Minutes you are falling into a boredom which comes very close to being clinically dead, asking yourself "how did I get here?"....then when you managed to drop her off - after absolutely nothing happened, within the past 6 hours, not even a slight "accidental" touch, you make sure to forget the ordeal as soon as possible and off to one of the "infamous places" for a nightcap or two....

A date at MK's sitting for 2hrs and 48 Min at a pot of slowly simmering Sukiyaki and putting every 6-9 min. a piece of cooked ingredient in your mouth and watching each other, sharing a giggle once in a while - after one survived this ordeal it's off to Major Cineplex - a Thai Movie of course "it's funny" is the information - while she is giggling and laughing the next 123 Minutes you are falling into a boredom which comes very close to being clinically dead, asking yourself "how did I get here?"....then when you managed to drop her off - after absolutely nothing happened, within the past 6 hours, not even a slight "accidental" touch, you make sure to forget the ordeal as soon as possible and off to one of the "infamous places" for a nightcap or two....

Nice one ! :)

Beware, the educated ones are just more clever at ripping you off, instead of 1000 -2000 bt per night, it is usually larger amounts less often, this is no paradise island its a slum with nice weather most of the time, full of scam artists and Farang wannbe bar moguls running out off options. Samui is the way backward beware

Beware, the educated ones are just more clever at ripping you off, instead of 1000 -2000 bt per night....

well, the real smarties want that you marry first and then you'll see....

but for this you might stay home need to make the effort to come to this slum..!

A friend of mine had some really great experience recently with some exotic passport

holder from a region called Kazakhstan!

Another friend, life-experienced man, been around the world...

had a similar nightmare with a Brazilian national...

Both still wonder what happened, why and how....

the females got most of what was theirs before...

Another specific case where she was from Ghana....

well all this indicates that it is not a question of a certain nationality,

but a question of getting married way too fast!

But that is another story...

Edited by Samuian

You didn't try it on even once? Not surprised it never worked out.

Maybe she thought you were gay? :)

Joking aside, surely you would hope to find some common interests and something other to do than watch a movie only one of you can understand. Weren't we talking about 'intelligent' women? Surely she would want to do some thing in which you could participate too? Would you take a thai woman to watch the footie at the pub?

Well the answer is yes if I couldn't care less. same same I think.

You didn't try it on even once? Not surprised it never worked out.

Maybe she thought you were gay? :)

You think too much, in way too ordinary patterns!

believe me I am a rather ordinary male,

if I would be gay, why would I go for a date with a female?

any advance was met with rejection, withdrawal.

I decided to leave it with this one date!

She was attractive, that she wasn't "open"

pretty and sexy too, but anywhere too close and she would "shut the door"!

She knew exactly what she wanted, that for sure.

Not even an innocent bye, bye kiss on the cheek..

Well and because I had been 'committed to one single relationship

for well over 14 years, I decided now for the better option, NOT to get

"involved" any more...what for?

But this is whole different story.

Edited by Samuian

Most girls from good families who are highly educated don't want to be on Samui, and leave here as soon as possible- they want to be in Bangkok where they can live the "hi-so" life or (if they are more ambitious) can work for international companies or for the businesses that their families own and that they will one day control- either that or they're looking for matches with the scions of other powerful families (with the prodding of their respective parents).

There are some great women on Samui, but you sure aren't going to meet them in the bars (as has already been established)- a few of them might even scoff at Mr. Wolfe's stellar CV as they aren't interested with the difficulties (family, culture, etc.) of having a serious relationship with a farang, and they don't want the perception or stigma of being "for hire" if they are seen with one in public (harsh, but that's the way it is).

Most girls from good families who are highly educated don't want to be on Samui, and leave here as soon as possible- they want to be in Bangkok where they can live the "hi-so" life or (if they are more ambitious) can work for international companies or for the businesses that their families own and that they will one day control- either that or they're looking for matches with the scions of other powerful families (with the prodding of their respective parents).

There are some great women on Samui, but you sure aren't going to meet them in the bars (as has already been established)- a few of them might even scoff at Mr. Wolfe's stellar CV as they aren't interested with the difficulties (family, culture, etc.) of having a serious relationship with a farang, and they don't want the perception or stigma of being "for hire" if they are seen with one in public (harsh, but that's the way it is).

This is the worst version...! :)

I wouldn't want one of this edition either!

"Hi-So" usually means that they have the tip of

their nose way beyond their Eyebrows....!

...and again not restricted to a certain nationality

nor to any location on the planet!

Edited by Samuian

This is the worst version...! :)

I wouldn't want one of this edition either!

"Hi-So" usually means that they have the tip of

their nose way beyond their Eyebrows....!

...and again not restricted to one a certain nationality!

You wouldn't want a highly educated girl from a good family (the "hi-so" part was not a necessary condition but rather a possibility)?

I know this is off topic a bit,but after much soul searhing,well not a lot really,its better to remain single in thailand,alot less stress,easier on the ATM,and bar fine when the urge takes you.You know exactly what the cost will be,plus you usually get breakfast thrown in and rooms cleaned.Conversation?who needs it,but sometimes you can be pleasantly surprised.Education?sometimes the ladies in the bar have far more education,the education of life..........how it really is.

As you can tell i'm a big fan of the bar girl.