Could healthcare insurance compared

DowntownAl

Long read:

I post this looking to stimulate some conversation and for those with contacts in various Thai government circles to pass along info from the following link. There are a few ideas here that could be modeled after what seems to be a workable and equitable healthcare insurance system. One that works for everyone. Some of you seem to be having problems on re-entry as well, so more info is needed for all of us.

Some of us are facing the possibility of being forced to leave Thailand altogether (I've been here for nearly 8 years) over healthcare insurance costs. I'm an old f*rt in his low 70s, a few minor (to me) issues such as high blood pressure (managed with meds) and a few other dents and dings. Even though I haven't been hospitalized in decades the quotes I have so far are prohibitively expensive. I have an 'O' visa with retirement extension, not an O-A or O-X so, at the moment the insurance net has not caught me - yet. Eventually that loophole will be closed so, with that in mind I started looking at other countries to see what they do with us older ex-pats when I came across the relatively new system in Colombia. Both their retirement visa system and healthcare systems line up with reality more so than tossing a dart at a board and making that the rule.

Anyway, here is a link to an article by Medellin Guru who explains how their system works. https://medellinguru.com/health-insurance/  I can see this system being adapted here as well. It does not step on the toes of the private insurers or the private hospitals, but still insures everyone which would make the Thai government happy. Everyone wins.

Some highlights:

"EPS – Entidadas Promotoras de Salud – this is the public health insurance that is mandatory for everybody who is a resident of Colombia. The monthly premium is calculated as 12.5 percent of the monthly gross income that you declare to the EPS."

"The EPS health insurance in Colombia is available to everyone who is a resident, including people that are not eligible for private health insurance due to age or pre-existing conditions."

"Prepagada – this is private healthcare insurance in Colombia. The monthly premium for Prepagada varies depending on your age, the plan you choose and any pre-existing conditions."  - basically the same as any private health insurance you can buy here.

And - 

"SISBEN – this is a free government subsidized healthcare system, which is only for very poor or homeless Colombians."

The EPS and Prepagada systems are administered by private healthcare insurance companies so they get a piece of the action from both.

/end

Thought? Ideas?

BTW - their retirement visa is based on your income being larger than 3 times the Colombian minimum wage. Last year that was about $240 US monthly - so you would need a pension income of $722 (monthly) US for a 3 year ($282 US) retirement visa there.

35 minutes ago, DowntownAl said:

Mods - please delete my post. I will not put up with junk like Lamkong - I'm in the wrong place. Back to twitter. 

Perhaps better in the insurance forum instead of removing or closing it.

Moved to there.

just a matter of time, lol, same with a killer asteroid coming. They just raised the retirement financial requirements I believe to ensure folks have enough funds while here and after doing that realized that gap with OA visa holders, hence the insurance. I believe they just realized that quite a few people living here for extended periods of time didn't have the funds, and then it dawned on the embassies also, hence the revoking of statements claiming unsubstantiated financial income.   

5 hours ago, DowntownAl said:

I post this looking to stimulate some conversation and for those with contacts in various Thai government circles to pass along info from the following link. There are a few ideas here that could be modeled after what seems to be a workable and equitable healthcare insurance system.

Equitable - to whom? (that's rhetorical by the way and I am not looking for an answer :sad:

5 hours ago, DowntownAl said:

The monthly premium is calculated as 12.5 percent of the monthly gross income that you declare to the EPS."

I would suggest that is the one of the last things many would want adapted including declaring income to any Thai authorities.

11 hours ago, DowntownAl said:

I have an 'O' visa with retirement extension, not an O-A or O-X so, at the moment the insurance net has not caught me - yet. Eventually that loophole will be closed

As some one above said this is not a given.

Secondly, have you considered the Elite? There is no insurance requirement and it is very unlikely if you buy in for say 20 years that they will come to you in 5 and say thanks for a million b. but now we need you to pay more. There're 5-10 year deals as well.

This might be a more palatable solution then picking up 8 years of life and moving halfway across the world to start over in an entirely different setting at age 70.

Archived