Survey: Eliminating plastic bags – possible or not?

Scott

Survey: Eliminating plastic bags – possible or not?  

150 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

How does one dispose of the Dingo Dookies?

Eliminate plastic bags is the wrong title, a better title would be restrict the use of plastic bags.

I think they are talking about plastic bags given out at shopping establishments, such as supermarkets,  convenience stores. etc

People would away be able to buy garbage bags of all different sizes to put their garbage in, ziplock bags  etc. 

15 hours ago, brain150 said:

It is a stupid idea just like most of the extinction rebellion !

It's all BS and planned to take control of all resources by the powers that should never be.

You can read this from the Club of Rome !!! It's a pretty old plan and not secret at all.

But people will fall for it because they don't think !

All people do is repeat the propaganda BS over and over again.

Ya just can’t beat a good old conspiracy theory ????????????

Yes of course it will work contrary to what the Thai bashers sprout on here,with gradual decline of the consumption of plastic them manufacturers cease production,people will start using their own reusable bags,or bring backpacks or whatever, there was a time not so very long ago when plastic bags were unheard of.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2019 at 1:49 PM, recom273 said:

A big stationary store in out city has just introduced a no bags policy overnight. I walked around picking up various supplies, paid and was passed the bundle - I asked for a bag and was told no bags. 

I ended up unpacking everything jamming as much as I could into pockets and wearing the rolls of tape up my sleeve for the ride home.

When I go shopping, e.g. grocery shopping, I usually go once or twice a week, buying 'a lot' at once, carrying home stuff in 4-6 large plastic bags. Doing the same if plastic (or paper) bags aren't on offer won't work. Can I jam my shopping into my backpack and one old plastic bag I have on me? Yes, sure. But my purchases in one shop will have to be much smaller, I may decide to not buy some items at all, and the overall sales volume may be split among more stores, as I will have to shop more frequently, meaning less sales for the shops where, until now, I used to do my shopping for the whole week.

Overall, less sales for some shops, as, compared to the past, instead of just buying what I'd like to, I will now have to consider 'how many items I can buy', and 'how heavy they can be', in order that I can squeeze them into my backpack or one plastic bag that I carry with me...

Edited by StayinThailand2much

11 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

When I go shopping, e.g. grocery shopping, I usually go once or twice a week, buying 'a lot' at once, carrying home stuff in 4-6 large plastic bags. Doing the same if plastic (or paper) bags aren't on offer won't work. Can I jam my shopping into my backpack and one old plastic bag I have on me? Yes, sure. But my purchases in one shop will have to be much smaller, I may decide to not buy some items at all, and the overall sales volume may be split among more stores, as I will have to shop more frequently, meaning less sales for the shops where, until now, I used to do my shopping for the whole week.

Overall, less sales for some shops, as, compared to the past, instead of just buying what I'd like to, I will now have to consider 'how many items I can buy', and 'how heavy they can be', in order that I can squeeze them into my backpack or one plastic bag that I carry with me...

I want to see change, I despise very shop putting everything in a plastic bag. 

I am the opposite of you, I hate going to supermarkets, i make the trip every two months, If I can’t buy it via an industrial supplier on Lazada then I will biy bottles intended from the catering trade or a case of something. The cashiers will double bag a 5 liter bottle of floor cleaner, I need to unbag it and watch as she repeats with washing up liquid until my wife explains again, no need for a bag.

There follows a conversation, “but I think the bottle might break and maybe go on the seats of your car” then I intervene, “and how does double wrapping in a plastic bag prevent this?”

Instruction has to be given, it’s not enough to rely on common sense, the cashier doesn’t understand that when I pass back 2 bags to her, she doesn’t need to use those bags on the next big bottle of cleaning product, she cannot understand. 

Big reusable woven (plastic) bags need to be on sale in supermarket checkouts, it’s no longer acceptable for shop security guards to chase you around the store pulling your backpack from you because they fear you are a thief, small items need to be placed into paper bags .. provisions need to be made, it’s not just a matter of banning plastic because it’s bound to fail.

im wondering now if it’s worth starting up a brown paper bag company and having a good promotional package, approaching vegetable markets. We have a cool floating market with a no plastic policy, the bamboo village must do a great trade in bamboo cups every week.

12 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Makro hasn't given any bags for years and we've never had a problem. Get the trolley to the car and pack in the trunk. Sorted. Only downside is you have to buy bin liners but the black bags are better than any plastic shopping bags anyway.

On 11/25/2019 at 2:32 PM, Golden Triangle said:

If the majority of the population have the same mentality as some members on here, then NO!!

Or will it be a case of throwing a hissy fit at the checkout, or pulling out a gun or knife and threatening the cashier until you are supplied with your bags ?

This is a heck of a good idea....I had already planed on the hissy fit but I guess maybe I need to be outfitted like crocodile dundee to go shopping now...  

• Sad 1

On 11/25/2019 at 1:57 PM, samsensam said:

the government needs to take a lead and have a plan instead of just making noise, example; in order to reduce the use of plastic bags in the uk shops had to charge for them; part of the price covered the shops' costs and the rest went to the government to be used, i believe, in environmentally friendly initiatives. this change was well publicised, well organised, transparent and effective; plastic bag usage went down 80% in the first six months and continues to reduce.

all you see here is the screaming headline 'NO to plastic bags', no overall strategy, no coherent plan, no consistency, no organisation, no thought of potential addition benefits, and you can bet quite a lot of people not bothering.

I use very few plastic bags , it's not rocket science. 

The best thing you can do to avoid using new plastic is to carry a bag with you. A bigger cloth or reusable one when you go shopping, but even a folded 7 bag in your pocket can be reused many times and always with you.  My cleaner is an expert at folding them down to nothing at all. 

Bring a box if you plan on buying plenty. Most places should even have boxes availble

Plastic bags were never meant to be single use, and each plastic bag uses far less energy, resources and water to create than a cloth or paper bag. Reusing the same bag 10 times is better than using it only once, and likely better than using paper. 

The issue is 2 fold, the environmental cost of production, vs the cost of disposal, since China stopped buying the world's garbage, recycling is in many instances a pretty lie we tell ourselves. 

• Like 1

Its not rocket science....

The best thing you can do is never ever take your own bag....If you take your own bag this only encourages them and their dumb plan....

If they dont have plastic bags for you start talking louder....Threaten to leave your purchase on the counter and walk out....Shamelessly hold up the line (like the Indians are so good at doing) with the no plastic bag problem until you get some results...lol....Remember guys dont be in a hurry you have all day to stand there and make a scene.....

Only pay for plastic bags as a last resort remember they should be free...

Also remember your not only doing this for yourself your taking one for the team....Stand strong and have fun....

• Like 1