Thailand set to welcome 39 million tourists

webfact

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, toast1 said:

"packed to the scuppers"

What a marvellous expression never heard it before.

on TV it translates to "anywhere on the planet except Thailand is wall to wall tourism, even Syria has all western tourists falling over themselves to get in"

Why you can debate the actual number of actual tourists as soon as same method used previous year it still shows entries are up.

Asking a restaurant how it's going is a bit like asking a farmer, "how's it going". Always been better. Numbers down, need more rain etc etc

16 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand is now set to score more than 39 million arrivals by the end of the year

How about departures ?  I would think more than 10 million departures (one way tickets) so you can include them in the survey, 

9 hours ago, Langkawee said:

successful business in medical tourism. She's up 400% from 2018. True, her business does rely on wealthy tourists but they are from all over the world, not just China.

This seems to be a trend everywhere.  Businesses that court the wealthy are doing well. 

Trouble with most businesses in Pattaya is that their business hasn't changed in 20 years. 

Still hundreds of shops and street vendors selling souvenirs and t-shirts...in some cases the same souvenirs and t-shirts that they have had in stock for the last 10 years.  Selling just enough each day for a couple meals and a bottle of Chang and of course pay their phone bill (which they watch all day)

Oh - forgot the tattoo shops - must be a hundred of those in Pattaya also.  

i heard a lot of stuff about chiangmai being dead. Some guy did a video on youtube, where are all the foreigners. Fast forward to October 2019, the walking street market is the busiest ive seen it. still the people choked streets by 7pm. Still the hare krishnas going up and down. There  might have been a lot more chinese faces .. but the westerner level looked normal ish.

When tourists go on holiday they dont think about money, they just bank 2000 pounds and plan to have a wild time.

thats tourism

This continuous desperate pursuit of high arrival numbers just means lower and lower quality tourists each year and a decimated tourism industry. And more inconvenience and crowds for the ones who come and the rest of us. 

Degenerative and thoughtless policy. The polar opposite of progress. The very definition of the Prayuth administration.

6 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

This continuous desperate pursuit of high arrival numbers just means lower and lower quality tourists each year and a decimated tourism industry. And more inconvenience and crowds for the ones who come and the rest of us. 

Degenerative and thoughtless policy. The polar opposite of progress. The very definition of the Prayuth administration.

Well pardon them for not chasing your favourite kind of tourist Mike.

Regrettably from your point of view, they really don't care what you think and the cash keeps rolling in.

It must break your heart. Have a glass of expensive wine, browse some expensive handbags and console yourself.

21 hours ago, Cadbury said:

I travel the Hanoi Bangkok route many times a year and have done so for the past 12 years.

I arrived in Hanoi last week from my most recent trip and couldn't believe my eyes at the arrival immigration area. It was packed to the scuppers and ALL immigration counters were open. It was full to an extent I had never seen before in all those years. 

A quick check of the crowd and I would estimate 65% were western foreign tourists with the rest mainly mixed Asians. Locals, Chinese, Japanese, Taiwanese etc.

Outside the terminal was absolute chaos as people departed for their local destinations.

Does this partly answer the question about the disappearing farang tourists in Thailand?

I did a round trip Saigon to BKK trip about a month ago - a pretty common trip for me. I saw the same thing as far as backup goes at immigration. Full and not moving.

This can mean a lot of things including insufficient staffing or poor organizing. It took longer for me to get out out immigration and back home (traffic) than it did to fly from Thailand to Vietnam. No doubt people will fill up the doors to immigration here in the coming years but the country has one of the lower tourist return rates in the region.  There is little to no infrastructure planning here. Again, not saying people might not choose another locale than BKK but where they're jumping to might not be everything it's being cracked up to be.

2 hours ago, Traubert said:

Well pardon them for not chasing your favourite kind of tourist Mike.

Regrettably from your point of view, they really don't care what you think and the cash keeps rolling in.

It must break your heart. Have a glass of expensive wine, browse some expensive handbags and console yourself.

I miss the days when mummy and daddy would pack us into the Rolls and get us over the channel to the continent. Was always a bit of a worry when the 'mobile' was craned onto the deck and strapped down for the crossing, but the driver was good at talking care of it.

Mummy, daddy and me would have a sherry with the Captain and big Sis' would go and talk to the deck-hands who would always give her pocket money for the holidays.

The big hotels were always happy to see us, some of the waiters always seemed happy to see 'big sis' and take her for long walks to show her the countryside.

We always miss those days now as far too many people are trying to do the same thing on something called a 'budget'.

Daddy says it's something working people have.

We all do miss those days so much.

i'm sure there will be many farangs confused how there are more tourists when their farang friends are being kicked out.  there are over 2 billion chinese and indians but if they see only 5 farangs drinking beer with ladyboys they are certain nobody is coming.  we need more IQ tests.  

Just now, Ventenio said:

i'm sure there will be many farangs confused how there are more tourists when their farang friends are being kicked out.  there are over 2 billion chinese and indians but if they see only 5 farangs drinking beer with ladyboys they are certain nobody is coming.  we need more IQ tests.  

English competency tests first please.

14 hours ago, Duck J Butters said:

I think a lot of people on Thai Visa are not aware that Thailand has the most advanced medical treatment centers in the world. Yes, the world. Perhaps you think I'm kidding? I'm not. It's true. Thailand has very liberal healthcare policies which has resulted in Thailand having the most advanced alternative medicine / cancer / anti-aging / stem cell clinics in the world. The procedures that Thailand offers are not available in most countries due to being considered “unethical” / "unproven" as well as being blocked by Big Pharma and Big Medicine. Western medicine is not interested in curing people ( that would be financially devastating to the West ), they are only interested in treatments and "quick fixes", Keeping people sick and coming back is "big money" and the key to the endless wheel of wealth that is Big Medicine. Hence, many desperate Westerners who have been told they have 6 months to live ( most drugged up on dozens of prescription meds which is one of the major sources of their never ending cycle of grief ), come to Thailand to seek out the latest and greatest in healthcare. Many return home detoxed and cured of what has been ailing them. This is just a fact. Thailand may be a developing country but it’s healthcare ( if you have money of course ) cannot he matched by any country on planet Earth. Many of the top doctors from America and Europe are attracted to Thailand for this very reason.

You may be right if you are referring to state of the art hospitals in Bangkok. Personally, I've found Thai doctors to be very poor diagnosticians. Their first response is to shovel pills, the more the merrier.

Dentistry is another story. I've had implants here at a fraction of the cost in Australia.

I have top level private health cover in Australia, so the only cost to me is a plane ticket. The only way  Thai doctors are going to get their hands on me is when I'm unconscious.

That’s peculiar because when I have been walking around in tourist areas during the year I have not seen many tourist at least not as many as there used to be, but perhaps a lot of Chinese tourist I might not notice them.

My friend has a small resort here in Rawai and he is empty first time in 6 years there is no bookings and its a nice place with a pool in a good location on the road to the beach he's dropped the price but I dont think it's the price, I dont know where these guys get their figures from

2 hours ago, anicon said:

the only way I will be visiting Thailand is by watching U-tube videos that others have taken when there; all the excitement without all the hassles of being there..

Okie dokie, Lube up and lock your door, even if mum doesn't allow that.

14 hours ago, Duck J Butters said:

Many businesses in Thailand are way up this year.  It really depends on what sector you're in and who you talk to. My wife is Thai ( not Chinese as many have suggested as the only businesses that are doing well ) and runs a very successful business in medical tourism. She's up 400% from 2018. True, her business does rely on wealthy tourists but they are from all over the world, not just China.

I think a lot of people on Thai Visa are not aware that Thailand has the most advanced medical treatment centers in the world. Yes, the world. Perhaps you think I'm kidding? I'm not. It's true. Thailand has very liberal healthcare policies which has resulted in Thailand having the most advanced alternative medicine / cancer / anti-aging / stem cell clinics in the world. The procedures that Thailand offers are not available in most countries due to being considered “unethical” / "unproven" as well as being blocked by Big Pharma and Big Medicine. Western medicine is not interested in curing people ( that would be financially devastating to the West ), they are only interested in treatments and "quick fixes", Keeping people sick and coming back is "big money" and the key to the endless wheel of wealth that is Big Medicine. Hence, many desperate Westerners who have been told they have 6 months to live ( most drugged up on dozens of prescription meds which is one of the major sources of their never ending cycle of grief ), come to Thailand to seek out the latest and greatest in healthcare. Many return home detoxed and cured of what has been ailing them. This is just a fact. Thailand may be a developing country but it’s healthcare ( if you have money of course ) cannot he matched by any country on planet Earth. Many of the top doctors from America and Europe are attracted to Thailand for this very reason.

I'm sure most expats on Thai Visa cannot relate to the paragraph written above but it is the reality that I live in. I live in a Thailand where tourism is booming. Hence, why you can't just make blanket statements claiming that Thailand is going downhill and that tourism is going to hell. Some may be experiencing this situation but that has not been my experience at all. I see a Thailand where the future looks very bright indeed.

This advertisement brought to you by Duck J Butters' wife.

People will naturally comment on changes they see in their local areas.

All I can post on that is around my way we used to see quite a few Scandie families who were regular twice a year visitors who haven't returned over the past three or four years.

Two popular beach restaurants were busy 99% of the time and you could hear 3 or 4 different languages being spoken any night of the week. One of those restaurants has gone and the other is much much quieter than before, although the prices have gone up and the food quantities on the plates have gone down.

One of scandie families we kept in touch with said they slowly got fed up with the fact that nothing seemed to improve year on year. Tables and chairs getting makeshift repairs and never re-painted, cushions that never seemed to be washed and cleaned etc and the general feeling that everything got more expensive for less.

As I said that's only my local area. Yours may be different.

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

My friend has a small resort here in Rawai and he is empty first time in 6 years there is no bookings and its a nice place with a pool in a good location on the road to the beach he's dropped the price but I dont think it's the price, I dont know where these guys get their figures from

What's it called? I have a mate going there for a wedding mid January

6 hours ago, ChipButty said:

See my post above , you're obviously close to your buddy so why not tell me the name or link to website if you want dollars in his pocket. You do know the name right. PM me his name it will be for a party of 12 , 8 rooms all up

On 11/25/2019 at 10:10 AM, darksidedog said:

39 million arrivals does not mean 39 million tourists

Why is that trotted out every time a report of this type is published?  No one said* that they were being counted as "tourists" and "arrivals" spend money in Thailand also, as your example demonstrates.   Would you prefer that your multiple arrivals were delayed every time in order that the specific purpose of your arrival be determined?

*Apart from Thaivisa's version of the headline! 

7 hours ago, overherebc said:

I miss the days when mummy and daddy would pack us into the Rolls and get us over the channel to the continent. Was always a bit of a worry when the 'mobile' was craned onto the deck and strapped down for the crossing, but the driver was good at talking care of it.

Mummy, daddy and me would have a sherry with the Captain and big Sis' would go and talk to the deck-hands who would always give her pocket money for the holidays.

The big hotels were always happy to see us, some of the waiters always seemed happy to see 'big sis' and take her for long walks to show her the countryside.

We always miss those days now as far too many people are trying to do the same thing on something called a 'budget'.

Daddy says it's something working people have.

We all do miss those days so much.

And that was some very good mesculine. 

Archived