Thailand set to welcome 39 million tourists

webfact

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/25/2019 at 11:08 AM, SteveK said:

I have also been counted several times in both 2018 and 2019.

Wow, all the Thaivisa moaners who have been double- or triple-counted must have made a huge difference to the arrivals numbers!  Let's take those numbers out (multiply them by 100 just for laughs) and there'd still be no noticeable difference.

19 hours ago, keystonecoppers2 said:

DLock!

And Singapore is heaven, compared to Thailand! The only obstacle is,

that it is to expensive. If I had the money, I would have lived there already!

Yes, it is a great city and expensive to live. I did 4 years there. But as a tourist, it's really not that expensive and as a tourist destination, it really puts Thailand to shame...from the moment you land at that amazing airport.

On 11/25/2019 at 12:08 PM, AussieBob18 said:

The number of 'arrivals' includes all visitors and workers from Malaysia, Laos, Myanmar and Camdobia (5.8mil so far this year) and just like some Expats, many of them come into Thailand several times each year.  

But the bigger number of 8.6mil visitors from 'ASEAN' is a lot more iffy - I didn't know ASEAN issued passports. Also very dubious when each country member of ASEAN has its own total number of 'visitors'. Anyone know that the ASEAN visitors means?

Member countries of ASEAN (I can't believe that you don't know what it is) do not have to have ASEAN passports (even if such a thing existed, which it doesn't, obviously) in order to be identified and then counted together as a group.

By the way, "ASEAN" wasn't mentioned specifically anywhere except by you!

On 11/25/2019 at 1:57 PM, Guderian said:

They built a new 8-storey hotel, just behind the village where I live, specifically catering to Chinese tour parties. It opened for business around two months ago and, so far, I haven't seen a single coach arrive there or a single guest using the roof-top swimming pool. The rooms are all dark at night, so I'm pretty sure it's deserted except for the few staff they have. Does that sound like a booming tourist industry?

No, but it does sound like just one empty hotel, according to your story, but that is not representative of the Thai tourist industry.

On 11/25/2019 at 2:13 PM, upena said:

So many arrivals/tourists that TAT has had to promote the super sale during high season, the three phases of eat shop spend, and free Visa upon arrival for numerous countries. TAT needs to admit that domestic and international tourism are in the toilet.

The OP is not a TAT promotion, it is an article written independently by TTR Weekly (whatever that is) as is glaringly obvious to anyone who read the link. 

Thailand have nothing good to offer to tourist compare with other developed country s Like Malaysia and Cambodia and Vietnam ? 

Thailand is in the worth economical problem and safety and respect for foreigners and investore,s instead off rub them 

Thailand have only Pattaya city and lady boys ? the rise of consumer index price 40% is destroying the country ,s image and future 

the gov. should stop the corporate corruption 

39 million poor china tourist dose not help the economy empty Beaches is good example 

pictur 1 343.JPG

pictur 1 344.JPG

4 minutes ago, Javade joker said:

Thailand have nothing good to offer to tourist compare with other developed country s Like Malaysia and Cambodia and Vietnam ? 

Thailand is in the worth economical problem and safety and respect for foreigners and investore,s instead off rub them 

Thailand have only Pattaya city and lady boys ? the rise of consumer index price 40% is destroying the country ,s image and future 

the gov. should stop the corporate corruption 

39 million poor china tourist dose not help the economy empty Beaches is good example 

pictur 1 343.JPG

pictur 1 344.JPG

cambodia developed country?????????

I believe "hotel" bookings being at multi-year lows as ChipButty and Expat Brad mention may be the result of AirBnB and nothing to do with tourist "numbers" unfortunately.

I truly believe the AirBnB phenomena is hurting hotels / employment at hotels, etc.  and do not understand how Thais put up with this.  But from reading other forum topics on it, AirBnB at condos and private houses although illegal, cannot be stopped - or Thais are unwilling to enforce rules

21 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Member countries of ASEAN (I can't believe that you don't know what it is) do not have to have ASEAN passports (even if such a thing existed, which it doesn't, obviously) in order to be identified and then counted together as a group.

By the way, "ASEAN" wasn't mentioned specifically anywhere except by you!

You missed my point. Every country in ASEAN is listed seperately on the website I quoted (obtained from TAT data) with total visitors for each country, and yet they added another 8 million from 'ASEAN'.  Are you understanding yet?

On 11/25/2019 at 10:10 AM, darksidedog said:

39 million arrivals does not mean 39 million tourists. I have been out of the country three times this year and obviously come back again three times. I am not a tourist, but I have been counted three times, and i am not alone. You only need to visit any of the genuine tourist areas to see that tourism most definitely is not up.

I suppose that your passport is written NON IMMIGRATION O, so you are an annual tourist, so the calculation is correct you were counted as a tourist three times, if instead it was written IMMIGRATION O  then you would be right that it is a mistake. Thai logic (read illogic)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived