Loading Windows 10 on to a new Laptop

Khon Kaen Jeff

Morning,

I have a new HP laptop that I want to run windows on, I don't believe it came with any software.

I have bough a Win10 pro key from ebay and don't trust myself to load it up properly and/or correctly, any advice on what to do, shall I take it to a shop, would they likely do it for me if I'm not even buying anything from them? Just not sure what to do, also doesn't help that Win10 is different to 7 which is all that I'm use to.

Cheers for any help.

KKJ

I would download the OS from Microsoft,and do it yourself,

someone in a previous post has put site on how to install on

USB flash drive, it's not difficult even I can do it,

If you do it in a shop,you don't know what other Cr@p they

are going to install,so have a go and try yourself.

regards Worgeordie

Any computer shop will do it for a couple of hundred baht. doing it yourself isnt that hard but you would need a computer with internet access to download windows etc.

If you get a shop to do it tell them not to do bogus activation or extra software etc.

2 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

No doubt, but just don't trust myself.

You cant really mess it up, if it all goes wrong just start again. You cant destroy the hardware or render the laptop un-fixable.

The install really just asks some information like what username you want, what country etc, the rest is just watching it re-boot a couple of times.

22 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

No doubt, but just don't trust myself.

Think about it, English is not their first language. So they are not likely to make the best choices for you during set-up. You really should listen to what is being suggested to you, to do it yourself.

You really need to move beyond your thoughts on being unable to complete this simple task.

It's the only way to ensure that you have a clean machine. 

You can create the installation media and take it along to a shop. Then you can stand over them to make sure that they use your clean media and install using your key. Then to make the installation choices that you would choose.

You perhaps won't be very popular.

Here, you can do it in baby steps and get it exactly as you want it, the first time.

Windows 10 isn't that different from Windows 7 in day to day usage. Though it seems that way to new users, because often it has been set up to be used in a way quite different from Windows 7.

Encouraging to sign in with a Microsoft account for example. Using Cortana Voice commands etc

I disable all of that at the time of installation.

Whereas the local technician will not bother to spend time choosing the best options for you. Least of all because he won't know what is best for you.

So you'll start with a device that needs serious tweaking from the very beginning, if you allow an unknown local tech to install for you.

Do it yourself and you can choose to disable the stuff that you don't want, as you go along.

There are so many reasons to run the install yourself. Try to grow a pair and tackle the very easy task with the help of the bods here. You'll be glad that you did.

For what more can you ask? 

7 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Think about it, English is not their first language. So they are not likely to make the best choices for you during set-up. You really should listen to what is being suggested to you, to do it yourself.

You really need to move beyond your thoughts on being unable to complete this simple task.

It's the only way to ensure that you have a clean machine. 

You can create the installation media and take it along to a shop. Then you can stand over them to make sure that they use your clean media and install using your key. Then to make the installation choices that you would choose.

You perhaps won't be very popular.

Here, you can do it in baby steps and get it exactly as you want it, the first time.

Windows 10 isn't that different from Windows 7 in day to day usage. Though it seems that way to new users, because often it has been set up to be used in a way quite different from Windows 7.

Encouraging to sign in with a Microsoft account for example. Using Cortana Voice commands etc

I disable all of that at the time of installation.

Whereas the local technician will not bother to spend time choosing the best options for you. Least of all because he won't know what is best for you.

So you'll start with a device that needs serious tweaking from the very beginning, if you allow an unknown local tech to install for you.

Do it yourself and you can choose to disable the stuff that you don't want, as you go along.

There are so many reasons to run the install yourself. Try to grow a pair and tackle the very easy task with the help of the bods here. You'll be glad that you did.

For what more can you ask? 

But you cannot create the installation media without having access to an internet connected PC and a USB stick.

Of course I would do it on my own.

But as others wrote, you need a PC with fast internet access to create the boot media (USB stick).

Microsoft offers the download (media creation tool) here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

("Create Windows 10 installation media")

Go to a shop and you will get an installation laced with all kinds of pirated software. Stuff you don't want/need.

Just now, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

I have internet yes which is why I am able to make this post. Don't have a USB stick,

At what point would I add classic start, after win10 has been installed?

Yes. A 16GB stick costs nowt.

26 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

Don't bother until everything else is up and running.

An 8 GB USB suffices. It's about 4.5 GB content.

I am just creating one (1909) overwriting the older version.

Always good to have one "just in case".

18 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

I have internet yes which is why I am able to make this post. Don't have a USB stick,

You might not even need Classic Start/Open Shell once you've completed the installation according to instructions.

One you have completed the installation, again taking baby steps, if you are not totally happy after trying it out;

https://open-shell.github.io/Open-Shell-Menu/

Though really just adds another layer of things that can go wrong. 

Archived