Canadian OA good till August 2020. Going to Vietnam for 3 months in December

He lives in Bangkok. In August 2020 where can he go to change to an O visa so he does not need to pay insurance?. He has no wife,  no dependents,  single male. Been living in Thailand for over a decade. 74 years old if this is pertinent. His only option is in basis of over 50. His pension is only 8000 canadian dollars a year, no savings. 

If his visa is valid until August of 2020 he can get an entry from it up to that day and get another one year permit to stay. Then he can get a re-entry permit to keep the remainder of that permit to stay valid when he enters the country.

No need to worry about applying for an extension until 2021 that way.

7 minutes ago, Langkawee said:

He lives in Bangkok. In August 2020 where can he go to change to an O visa so he does not need to pay insurance?. He has no wife,  no dependents,  single male. Been living in Thailand for over a decade. 74 years old if this is pertinent. His only option is in basis of over 50. His pension is only 8000 canadian dollars a year, no savings. 

So that's about 14000baht/month? On top of that has zero savings.

He has zero options. 

Can't even afford an agent.

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

He has zero options. 

He must have savings or he would never have qualified for an O-A Visa.  He must have met the financial requirement one way or another.

19 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

He must have savings or he would never have qualified for an O-A Visa.  He must have met the financial requirement one way or another.

I realize that. Read post #3. I can only go on what op states. Which does sound ridiculous. BTW the financial money in bank method for an O-A done in own country is bit of joke since funds do not need to stay in the account. Smoke and mirrors.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I realize that. Read post #3. I can only go on what op states. Which does sound ridiculous. BTW the financial money in bank method for an O-A done in own country is bit of joke since funds do not need to stay in the account. Smoke and mirrors.

True, he could have borrowed the funds to qualify.

17 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

True, he could have borrowed the funds to qualify.

Yeah, or family put it up to get him offshore. But seriously, at 74 with zip funds and tiny income he needs to be in own country where at very least he may have medical care and support services.

If he had a Thai wife in issan my opinion most likely different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yeah, or family put it up to get him offshore. But seriously, at 74 with zip funds and tiny income he needs to be in own country where at very least he may have medical care and support services.

If he had a Thai wife in issan my opinion most likely different.

Maybe he just wants to fulfill a lifelong dream and go out with a big bang!  I can't blame him if that's the case, maybe he's got a few more things to add to his bucket list and hopefully he has a bag full of cash to make it happen!

74 is not that old, my dad is 90 and he's still going strong. I have a friend who's father is 93 and still sails to the Carribean on his sloop every year (alone).  I agree though that there are many in bad shape at that age (but not always the case).

Edited by MeePeeMai
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If his visa is valid until August of 2020 he can get an entry from it up to that day and get another one year permit to stay. Then he can get a re-entry permit to keep the remainder of that permit to stay valid when he enters the country.

No need to worry about applying for an extension until 2021 that way.

How does he get another one year permit to stay, process? Perhaps I used wrong terminology. Perhaps I should have said extension of stay instead of visa? Is it automatic at airport? To reiterate he currently has OA staying in Bangkok on this, valid until August 2020, already in Thailand, using it, no insurance, he'll go to Vietnam in December 2019 return in March 2020. At this time he'll have approximately 5 months remaining on his OA. He already has his re-entry permit before he departs to Vietnam in December 2019, he is departing to Vietnam soon. You're saying his OA will be extended to March 2021 when he arrives at Cheap Charlie's Don Muang Airport in March 2020? If so what is the process to do this? He has no insurance. Apologies if have made wrong use of terminology that has turned the answer upside down. Many thanks. 

13 hours ago, Langkawee said:

How does he get another one year permit to stay, process? Perhaps I used wrong terminology. Perhaps I should have said extension of stay instead of visa? Is it automatic at airport? To reiterate he currently has OA staying in Bangkok on this, valid until August 2020, already in Thailand, using it, no insurance, he'll go to Vietnam in December 2019 return in March 2020. At this time he'll have approximately 5 months remaining on his OA. He already has his re-entry permit before he departs to Vietnam in December 2019, he is departing to Vietnam soon. You're saying his OA will be extended to March 2021 when he arrives at Cheap Charlie's Don Muang Airport in March 2020? If so what is the process to do this? He has no insurance. Apologies if have made wrong use of terminology that has turned the answer upside down. Many thanks. 

An O-A visa is valid for 1 year. Its a multi entry visa so for one year he can exit and reenter. Every time he reenters he is given one yr permission of stay. If he exits and reenters just prior to August 2020 he will obtain 12 months.After Aug 2020 he will need to buy a reentry permit (single or multi) if he wishes to exit and reenter.

After that permission of stay ends ~ Aug 2021 he would move to extensions based on retirement.

Edited by DrJack54

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

An O-A visa is valid for 1 year. Its a multi entry visa so for one year he can exit and reenter. Every time he reenters he is given one yr permission of stay. If he exits and reenters just prior to August 2020 he will obtain 12 months.After Aug 2020 he will need to buy a reentry permit (single or multi) if he wishes to exit and reenter.

After that permission of stay ends ~ Aug 2021 he would move to extensions based on retirement.

Is an O-A always multiple entry? From my understanding he's told me he's bought a re-entry permit to return to Thailand in March. Why would this be necessary if an O-A is always a multiple entry. How would he pay for this at Don Muang Airport when he returns? And how much. Thanks very much for this. 

9 minutes ago, Langkawee said:

Is an O-A always multiple entry?

Yes they are.

Are you sure he is not calling a extension of stay issued by immigration a OA visa? Many people incorrectly do that.

13 minutes ago, Langkawee said:

From my understanding he's told me he's bought a re-entry permit to return to Thailand in March.

Re-entry permits expire when when the permit to stay they are issued for ends. If his only good to March that would be when his current permit to stay ends.

11 minutes ago, Langkawee said:

How would he pay for this at Don Muang Airport when he returns?

He cannot get one on arrival. They are only done on departure from the country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Langkawee said:

Is an O-A always multiple entry? From my understanding he's told me he's bought a re-entry permit to return to Thailand in March. Why would this be necessary if an O-A is always a multiple entry. How would he pay for this at Don Muang Airport when he returns? And how much. Thanks very much for this. 

If your friend purchased a reentry permit then the O-A visa is expired. He currently has permission of stay. That stamp will have an until date. That will not change when he enters in march. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

If your friend purchased a reentry permit then the O-A visa is expired. He currently has permission of stay. That stamp will have an until date. That will not change when he enters in march. 

Sorry. He's made a blunder. He told me he absolutely had an OA. I've just asked him to check his passport, and he found it was an O, not O A. He certainly is getting more forgetful. Previously I was referring to re-entry that he has obtained in Thailand for the purpose of returning in March 2020. O good till August 2020. So he'll just renew with no insurance assuming .....

20 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

He has zero options. 

A real cheap Charlie can get a 1500 baht apartment and only needs a further 3000 baht to survive. More people are suffering and dying from over indulgence than poverty. less is more 555

• Haha 1