Video: English teacher in classroom attack - but it ends in wais

webfact

Video: English teacher in classroom attack - but it ends in wais

9pm.jpg
Thai caption: Punishment for not submitting homework

A video taken by a student in an English class at a school near Bangkok showed a female teacher line up students in front of the class. 

At least one was then assaulted by slapping. 

The student's crime?

Not completing homework. 

Comment was rife online with netizens calling the treatment cruel. 

One parent was quoted as saying: "I can't accept that. My child being hit like that. It's only homework. We don't hit our children like that". She also complained about expensive phones being confiscated. 

Sanook said that the incident took place at a school in Orm Noi, Krathum Baen, in Samut Sakhon south west of Bangkok. 

Daily News later reported that the school director had asked Siriwan to explain herself.

She admitted what she had done and that it was over the top. But said it was out of concern for the students in her M1 class (the first year of Thai secondary school).

She said she was worried that the students would fail their exams. 

She apologized to one of the parents called Orida who was invited to the school.

She agreed not to press charges so long as nothing of this sort happened again. 

They were pictured "wai-ing" each other.

Sources: Sanook | Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-29

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

@The Cobra

How many Thai government schools have you taught at that had in place the protocol you described which could be consistently be relied upon?  Every time you have a discipline problem, you're gonna go running to the headmaster? Right. Like they're always readily available, and can magically whip the kid into line. And the teacher running to the headmaster isn't in danger of being labelled a crybaby with poor classroom management skills for excessively referring kids to the headmaster? And the headmaster is always supportive and delighted that you sought their help? And the kid's parents drop everything in the middle of the corn harvest to run down to the school to find out why Johnnie didn't do his homework. Right. The protocol you described sounds great. Problem is that nothing like that has ever been in place at any of the schools I've ever taught at. The teacher is generally left to their own devices, with very little support from either school administration or the parents.

What a load of speculative assumptions, you just make your narrative fit your preposterous assumptions.

No one said anything of a sort, about running every time, or any of the wild stuff you made up.

consistently relied on, every time , who said any of that, if you cant at least be on point and stick to the facts in hand and as stated without adding your embelishments then better for you to just keep quiet. Or maybe you are just trolling for effect ? either way, I am not playing your baiting game.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Cruel humiliating, bullying, and physical assault ! She should never be allowed in a classroom again !.

I'm in my 15 th year at Thai schools and I could write a book about such assaults/ attacks that would surely become a bestseller. 

Even then it's saddening to see such an arrogant and ignorant selfish woman treating students like a piece of shi_e.

I hope that Karma will get her soon. 

If there's a hell, please reserve one place for her.     

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MarcB said:

Many wrongs, as written above, do not make it right to hit a kid.

And definitely not if it is my kid, or your kid may be next?

It is true that the educational system in Thailand is way under the bar.

IF they fail their exams, they get passed anyway and move on to the next grade, even if they can't write their name correctly.

Classrooms are always noisy, and full of chaos.

Often they sit with 10 in a row, and just draw, play on their phones, show no interest, and couldn't care less.

A solution?

I have seen teachers just talking to themselves, or focusing on the few that actually do something.

Other teachers I know, now can't also care less and don't even try to teach anymore.

My opinion,

1. I think it starts with education at home. By the parents.

Many parents do not take their responsibility.

If I did not do my homework, was late or absent, my parents made me do my homework 5 times over, grounded me, and yes sometimes I got hit.
But that's the parents duty. Not the school's.

And secondly, there have to be strict rules at school.
No phones, sit straight, be quiet, pay attention, do your homework, etc...

Failing to follow these rules should result in expulsion, extra homework, parental meetings, and other.

And most importantly, fail to move on to the next grade.

I know some people who have bachelor degrees and know seriously nothing.

The Thai mentality of "mai pen rai" is exactly what has caused such a low level of education.

"Failing to follow these rules should result in expulsion, extra homework, parental meetings, and other."

Sounds like should, would, could........

Perhaps 95 % of all students copy homework from somebody else. Giving them homework doesn't make much sense if you're the one who has to check it.

The main problem is that these so called teachers ( most of them are not qualified to teach English in my eyes) went through the same non functioning educational system.

How can such an uneducated person educate others? It doesn't work that way.

I guess I'm too long in this business now. When a PE teacher cut our son's hair off, I gave my son a written and signed letter for the particular guy.

I wrote very politely that- if that would happen again- I'd come to the school and shave all his hair off in front of his students.

His insane macho trip stopped all in a sudden and the guy always Wais me with his hands up to his eyebrows.

He knows exactly that I wasn't kidding.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MarcB said:

Often they sit with 10 in a row, and just draw, play on their phones, show no interest, and couldn't care less.

Perhaps if the students were allowed, nay, urged to participate in the learning experience by asking questions it might spark discussions and interest.  Just accepting what a teacher says as gospel doesn't promote learning. 

• Like 1

In the normal world that deleted would be in jail and loose her job..

Also that school would be get inspected fully but here its Wais only !!

She doesn’t even look like an native English speaker probably she speaks 6 words of English but uses violence on small children to hide her own lack of knowledge!!

Edited by Destiny1990

18 hours ago, The Cobra said:

Simple really, there is NO excuse or reason to EVER put your hands on a child in your care, NONE !

If a child doesnt want to participate or do the work you exclude them. Stop them influencing others in the classroom, and refer to the Headmaster, fron there to the Parents, let the parents become involved. Let them address the lack of attention or work. The Teacher does NOT touch a student, end of story.

There is a chain, Teacher, Head , Parents. Pass the child along that line and DO NOT touch them.

It's the only way to go.... a letter to the parents inviting them in for a chat with the principle & teacher to discuss the students behaviour.

If the parents or student don't change their attitude then a suspension is warranted to deter others from taking the same path.

When one student is kicked out of class it's amazing how quickly the others start to tow the line.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

It's the only way to go.... a letter to the parents inviting them in for a chat with the principle & teacher to discuss the students behaviour.

If the parents or student don't change their attitude then a suspension is warranted to deter others from taking the same path.

When one student is kicked out of class it's amazing how quickly the others start to tow the line.

That only applies if the school supports you.  In my experience the school is a financial not an educationl institution here.

• Like 1

This results from a deep cultural problem. Everyone in Thailand is expected to know their place and everyone's place is summed up in a second by anyone they meet. My native UK has or had a reputation for class-consciousness and snobbery, but Thailand beats it hands down with it's centuries out-of-date feudal system.

And that gives everyone the supposed right to bully the person considered beneath them,  their inferior. It operates at every level in Thai society (and includes not questioning the teacher, or the boss even though he/she might be an idiot). The bullied bully the next down the chain as a form of revenge for their own position in society, and is possibly most clearly seen in anyone who wears a uniform believing that automatically gives them the right to bully anyone else.

And nothing will change that. It doesn't only apply to Thailand but it is very prevalent here, and results in teachers bullying kids as they are superior to that child. And as teachers are supposedly held in high esteem in society they often get away with it and aren't even prosecuted for serious assaults or even rape of minors. How many times have we read of school cover-ups and/or police dragging their feet in such cases, until the parents go to the media for justice.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

This results from a deep cultural problem. Everyone in Thailand is expected to know their place and everyone's place is summed up in a second by anyone they meet. My native UK has or had a reputation for class-consciousness and snobbery, but Thailand beats it hands down with it's centuries out-of-date feudal system.

And that gives everyone the supposed right to bully the person considered beneath them,  their inferior. It operates at every level in Thai society (and includes not questioning the teacher, or the boss even though he/she might be an idiot). The bullied bully the next down the chain as a form of revenge for their own position in society, and is possibly most clearly seen in anyone who wears a uniform believing that automatically gives them the right to bully anyone else.

And nothing will change that. It doesn't only apply to Thailand but it is very prevalent here, and results in teachers bullying kids as they are superior to that child. And as teachers are supposedly held in high esteem in society they often get away with it and aren't even prosecuted for serious assaults or even rape of minors. How many times have we read of school cover-ups and/or police dragging their feet in such cases, until the parents go to the media for justice.

You think teachers / adults, are equal to children?

I would rather be a kid in a Thai school than take my chances in a UK one, where there is a high chance of getting beaten up or stabbed, or even worse an American school... where there is a high chance of a mass shooting.... sure criticise Thailand for it's 'deep cultural problem' lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Cobra is absolutely right that the best avenue is to get the parents involve in seeing the students do their homework and the teacher doesn't physically punish them. Assault on children in a classroom or elsewhere should be considered a crime.

Every time there is a hitting incident in a Thai classroom we get all the above reponses that you have made.  The system will never change !!  It is broken and won't get fixed.  As for hitting children, we would rather get a detention or the cane than have the headmaster write to our parents. Even schools like Eton had bullying, beatings and severe punishments but they had great education and turned out some of the worlds greatest men.  So there are no rules or standards that can ever be applied to a problem with no solution. The only way a Thai kid will get educated is to go to an expensive school or go abroad,

• Like 2

The problem with Thai schools and disciplilne are many.  Too many to get resolved here.

One of the things that we tend to overlook with the Thai teachers is that a lot of them do not know any better.  They learned in this system and in a lot of cases the teachers they had used corp[oral punishment to keep them in line,

The major problem is that there is no way to discipline students other than corporal punishment ( not saying it is right)  

Students can not be sent out of the classroom to stand in the hall, you can not give them detention because they have to catch a bus or mom or dad is waiting, mom and dad are not capable of disciplining in most cases and they really do not care.

As to taking away phones this should not be an issue at all.  The simple rule being that during class all phones are to be put away and turned off in class.  Phone rings or teacher sees phone teacher takes phone in a joking manner.  at end of class return the phone to them.

Personally I feel a great deal of sympathy having tried to teach M1 students.  These are kids that were the cock of the walk in the past school. Hormones are kicking in and they are trying to find their place.  Maturity is definitley lacking and they only know what they did or did not do in their previous school.

Basically the Thai system has 3 kinds of teachers

1. Those that really and truly want to leave a good impression and help students with great ideas.  Idealists

2. Those that want to do it but have no idea of how.

3.  Those that have said to hell with it and walk into the classroom talk to themselves for 50 minutes and leave. 

Unfortunately due to the rules they are creating too many in the 3rd category

The education system in the world is outdated we are no longer in the 

GO TO SCHOOL get a good education

GET A GOOD JOB

RETIRE WITH A NICE PENSION 

world anymore

THAILAND LIKE MANY OTHERS IS STILL THERE.

Edited by kingstonkid
  • Like 1