Video: English teacher in classroom attack - but it ends in wais

webfact

15 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

I'm in my 15 th year at Thai schools and I could write a book about such assaults/ attacks that would surely become a bestseller. 

Even then it's saddening to see such an arrogant and ignorant selfish woman treating students like a piece of shi_e.

I hope that Karma will get her soon. 

If there's a hell, please reserve one place for her.     

I hope your not teaching English.

• Confused 1

On 11/29/2019 at 3:25 PM, Gecko123 said:

The parent should be invited to guest teach for a day at the school. I'll bet halfway through the first period she'd be ranting and raving, and yelling 'beat them all!' ('ตีไปเลยทั้งหมด!) Parent should have been demanding to know why her kid hadn't done his homework. Complaining about confiscating of expensive i-phones too. Nice to see the parent has her priorities straight. And how about the kid surreptitiously videoing the incident from the back of the room? I wonder who they learned that from? His or her parent, perhaps?

I'm not condoning smacking kids on the face or about the head, but academic discipline is a major challenge in many Thai schools. There are plenty of kids who refuse to ever do homework and plenty of teachers just give up assigning it, and pass the kids on to the next grade. It's easy to criticize a teacher's use of corporal punishment, but you tell me how a 7th grade teacher who has a roomful of kids who stopped doing homework back in 4th grade is supposed to break this pattern. With patience, kindness and lots of TLC? Get real.

I actually agree with all your sentiments. What I don't understand is why you feel it is necessary to translate the English phrase, 'beat them all' into Thai language.  Are you maybe under the impression that we might not understand English on an English forum or are you just showing us that you know at least one Thai expression?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gee Ku said:

The Cobra is absolutely right that the best avenue is to get the parents involve in seeing the students do their homework and the teacher doesn't physically punish them. Assault on children in a classroom or elsewhere should be considered a crime.

Students doing their homework? That's a good one.

Perhaps 90 to 95 % of all high school students copy their homework from another classmate.

So what's the purpose of giving them homework if they don't do it?

A teacher who becomes so violent should immediately be dismissed and never be allowed to enter a classroom again.

I've had a Thai colleague who used the ballpoint of a pen to hurt them on their head.

Almost invisible when some blood comes out under the hair.

She must have been into some Sado maso shi_e. 

Then you've got the teachers who promise a good grade for some" sexual favors."

It's so ridiculous and it doesn't seem to change in the near future.

But in a country where a teacher's close to god, impossible.

They should be held responsible for their actions.

But then again, TIT?!!!

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2019 at 2:36 PM, holy cow cm said:

Students don't fail here. They always get 50%. 

50% is failing. Obviously not in the school you'd come from.

These stupid knee jerk responses always pop up in education threads. Always.

50% is very failing. 79% is failing. As for actually holding students back that won't help anything here or anywhere else in the world.

Thai education is riddled with huge institutional problems but most people, even parents wouldn't have a clue to go about fixing it.

On 11/29/2019 at 3:34 PM, The Cobra said:

Simple really, there is NO excuse or reason to EVER put your hands on a child in your care, NONE !

If a child doesnt want to participate or do the work you exclude them. Stop them influencing others in the classroom, and refer to the Headmaster, fron there to the Parents, let the parents become involved. Let them address the lack of attention or work. The Teacher does NOT touch a student, end of story.

There is a chain, Teacher, Head , Parents. Pass the child along that line and DO NOT touch them.

In my day many teachers who were respected by the students AND parents used corporal punishment. No hitting students about the head or slapping the face but the the palm of the hand and your behind were fair game. If you got smacked at school and your parents heard about it you were in trouble when you got home. Many on this forum know first hand what I'm talking about but won't say anything because the newage political correctness police are out in force. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nip said:

I hope your not teaching English.

Honestly speaking, I do not have a problem when somebody criticizes my English. My apologies if you believe that I'm not good at English.

I'm teaching English and German, I speak Thai, some Spanish and of course Isaan/Lao Thai.

And I've got a real teacher's license. 

Did you know that your English is wrong?

It's actually " I hope you're ( you are) not teaching English."

Little advice: Do not throw with stones when sitting in a glasshouse! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SchopenhauersGhost said:

50% is very failing. 79% is failing. As for actually holding students back that won't help anything here or anywhere else in the world.

Thai education is riddled with huge institutional problems but most people, even parents wouldn't have a clue to go about fixing it.

I beg your pardon. Why do you believe that the poster was wrong?

50% is failing. Obviously not in the school you'd come from. ???

What kind of attack is that where you're openly criticizing somebody who’s made a very valid point? 

Do you think that your post is any better than others from people who’ve got nothing else to do than looking for something they can attack with their keyboards? 

"50% is very failing. 79% is failing. As for actually holding students back that won't help anything here or anywhere else in the world."

What’s very failing and how can 79 % be a failure? Isn’t 79 % out of 100 % pretty good?

I don’t understand your point “ actually holding students back that won’t help anything here or anywhere else in the world???????

"Thai education is riddled with huge institutional problems but most people, even parents wouldn't have a clue to go about fixing it."

The education system is so bad because the teachers went through the same poor education where students just copy something off the board, also called rote learning, where the student is totally left out.

But it should be child centered, having the student in the center of the whole teaching process, including critical thinking skills. 

“Even parents wouldn’t have a clue to go about fixing it?

Of course, do parents not have a solution on how to fix the education system, because they had to undergo the same brainwashing boy scout movement in a crappy system with uneducated teachers that should be child-centered and not rote learning.

They have to stop thinking a teacher in Thailand is a type of a god, because their general and subject knowledge is very limited. 

The majority have such a poor knowledge of the subject they’re teaching and their general knowledge compared to a Westerner, let’s say from Finland, which is perhaps similar to the knowledge of a twelve-year-old Finnish boy, or girl.

Thai schools should start introducing lifelong learning, etc, to encourage questioning and vibrant interaction between students and teachers.

None of this will sprout in a rote-learning environment, the present nucleus of the education system. Indeed the Thailand 4.0 innovation-led economy will require the replacement of rote-learning by the 4Cs method – Communication, Collaboration, Creativity and Critical Reflection – which will bring a profound and necessary change in teacher-student and worker-boss/manager relations.

It will hopefully give rise to a classroom culture of intense questioning, and similar “collaborative questioning sessions” in the workplace.

Respect and knowledge should be balanced, but the former must not prevent people from presenting creative and innovative ideas. 

Students and teachers, workers and bosses/managers will have to adapt to this new situation, interacting to absorb, present, defend and explain their ideas and arguments in an environment freed of obstacles to the 4Cs.

Arguments that protect existing networks – for example, the teaching profession, from moves to allow unlicensed professionals to teach in the classroomshould be heard.

But the “complainers” should be made to understand that their workforce currently has a skill level of “Thailand 0.4”, with improvements needed urgently if Thailand is to achieve a 4.0 environment.

Cutting the teacher training programme from five to four years was the right move, but they should also consider ending the training of Thailand 3.0  “rote-learning teachers”.

They must now deliver 21st-century teachers, including pre-school staff who are guardians of children in the crucial early learning stage up till five years old.

A 21st-century teacher must be able to admit, “I don’t know, but I will get back to you.” 

Thailand desperately needs an education system geared to the new social and economic era it is now entering, an era embodied by the Eastern and Southern Economic Corridor projects.

And they need it now. better yesterday than tomorrow!!!!

15 hours ago, SchopenhauersGhost said:

What do you really know about teaching or schools here? It is they get 50 points out of 100 and don’t fail. 

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 3:25 PM, Gecko123 said:

The parent should be invited to guest teach for a day at the school. I'll bet halfway through the first period she'd be ranting and raving, and yelling 'beat them all!' ('ตีไปเลยทั้งหมด!) Parent should have been demanding to know why her kid hadn't done his homework. Complaining about confiscating of expensive i-phones too. Nice to see the parent has her priorities straight. And how about the kid surreptitiously videoing the incident from the back of the room? I wonder who they learned that from? His or her parent, perhaps?

I'm not condoning smacking kids on the face or about the head, but academic discipline is a major challenge in many Thai schools. There are plenty of kids who refuse to ever do homework and plenty of teachers just give up assigning it, and pass the kids on to the next grade. It's easy to criticize a teacher's use of corporal punishment, but you tell me how a 7th grade teacher who has a roomful of kids who stopped doing homework back in 4th grade is supposed to break this pattern. With patience, kindness and lots of TLC? Get real.

You are condoning it. As a teacher, like a manager you should be able to convince people to do things without hitting them. You are not fit to be a teacher.

17 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Honestly speaking, I do not have a problem when somebody criticizes my English. My apologies if you believe that I'm not good at English.

I'm teaching English and German, I speak Thai, some Spanish and of course Isaan/Lao Thai.

I don't claim to be an English teacher. Your last sentence however suggests from your pigeon English that you are German. 

On 12/1/2019 at 12:12 AM, Isaanbiker said:

Unless you have a degree in English, qualified teacher or not, you shouldn't be teaching English.

One of the issues here is an expectation foreign Western teachers can teach anything. It's as incorrect as the old assumption that native speaking backpackers could do "a bit of teaching" now and then.

My daughter attends an expensive school. One of their sales pitches is that all teachers must have Master degrees in the subjects they teach in addition to experience. Sounds good (and makes the premium price seem more reasonable). But, for Western foreign teachers, it gets less clear. Teachers teaching several subjects, one bachelor degree and some with a poor command of spoken English! 

The post is about a teacher assaulting pupils. Not too long ago a then Minister of Education said the law is very clear. They can't do this. And he added that he wished parents would ignore the attempts by school directors to brush it all under the carpet and pressure the often indifference shown by the police. His ideas, of course, went with him when he left his post.

22 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Unless you have a degree in English, qualified teacher or not, you shouldn't be teaching English.

One of the issues here is an expectation foreign Western teachers can teach anything. It's as incorrect as the old assumption that native speaking backpackers could do "a bit of teaching" now and then.

My daughter attends an expensive school. One of their sales pitches is that all teachers must have Master degrees in the subjects they teach in addition to experience. Sounds good (and makes the premium price seem more reasonable). But, for Western foreign teachers, it gets less clear. Teachers teaching several subjects, one bachelor degree and some with a poor command of spoken English!

A teacher with an overseas education and Master's degree should have no problem finding a high paying position anywhere. But such teachers are only available to people paying the highest levels of school fees. 

Meanwhile, Thailand's English speaking proficiency has dropped to third from bottom in Asia in 2019, just ahead of Cambodia and Myanmar. With a mostly useless curriculum and the Thai national English teachers largely unable to speak the language, what's your solution for the unwashed masses? 

• Like 1

There are actually a number of laws against this type of behaviour.

How the entire administration and law enforcement can sit on their hands until an official compliant is made just shows it is more important to respect the percieved status people above you before the law.

Laws only matter when law enforcement is forced to act.