OA to O - how is this accomplished?

2 minutes ago, Canuck50 said:

And now I am asking if I return Visa Exempt, convert that to a 90 day non-imm-O, can I buy a reentry permit for said "O" Visa if I need to leave the country for a short period between the time I get the "O" Visa and before it is converted to 1 year Extension of Stay. 

You can get a re-entry permit to keep the remainder of the 90 day entry valid if you want to travel.

There is no conversion to an extension of stay. You just apply for an extension of your 90 day entry.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can get a re-entry permit to keep the remainder of the 90 day entry valid if you want to travel.

There is no conversion to an extension of stay. You just apply for an extension of your 90 day entry.

OK, thanks ubonjoe, I do understand it is not a "conversion to 1 year E of S, it was poor terminology on my part.

I am on an O-A which expires late Jan, the permission to stay expires late Feb. I have had the 800K covered for 6 months. But I do not fancy takes any risks so I am struggling to decide to whether I will do the deadline dance to Laos. I think I will go through the hoops finding out what the insurance cost will actually be before making that decision. Simple fact is I am getting to an age (67) where self insurance is not such a smart idea or safe bet anymore.

It appears to me that the reason the O-A retirement is singled out is that you are treated as a single person without local funds (needing the 800K in the country of issue). Different if you have a family connection or the funds. Interested in other opinions of this. Has there been any statement of this?

Of course another difference with O-A's may be they are issued by Foreign Affairs not Immigration. 

Edited by IsaanAussie

3 minutes ago, IsaanAussie said:

I am on an O-A which expires late Jan, the permission to stay expires late Feb. I have had the 800K covered for 6 months.

Do a border hop, get your value out of the O-A. Be okay to Dec 2020, lots of time to plan ahead.

• Like 2

Just now, jacko45k said:

Do a border hop, get your value out of the O-A. Be okay to Dec 2020, lots of time to plan ahead.

Thanks Jacko, this is one thing I have not been able to confirm. Do the hop and then not being able to re-enter without showing the insurance policy. Has anyone done that since the start of the new rules in November? 

1 minute ago, IsaanAussie said:

Thanks Jacko, this is one thing I have not been able to confirm. Do the hop and then not being able to re-enter without showing the insurance policy. Has anyone done that since the start of the new rules in November? 

Yes people have entered the country using a OA visa issued prior to October 31st and have not needed to show insurance.

• Like 2

Just now, ubonjoe said:

Yes people have entered the country using a OA visa issued prior to October 31st and have not needed to show insurance.

Just shows you guys how risk averse I am. If it was raining female fundamental orifices, I would cop a backside. I would be using one of the Sisaket or Surin/Cambodia crossings. Works there?

On 12/1/2019 at 12:50 PM, rwill said:

I would imagine that if the Thai government see lots of people moving from O-A to O that there will soon be a change to the law requiring insurance for the O too.  You already see talk of requiring insurance for everyone that enters Thailand.

There's been no official talk about insurances for Non-Immigrant O, but there was some talk about a real cheap travel insurance when arriving to Thailand as a tourist. Invited thai people visiting EU countries needs a travel insurance for the period they're staying and with a certain coverage. No insurance,no visa. 

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

There's been no official talk about insurances for Non-Immigrant O, but there was some talk about a real cheap travel insurance when arriving to Thailand as a tourist. Invited thai people visiting EU countries needs a travel insurance for the period they're staying and with a certain coverage. No insurance,no visa. 

Looks kind of official to me.. They clearly are telling us they want to impose it, if they will manage to or not is another question entirely. 

2090252950_Healthinsurance-allgroups.jpg.f18ecdae07553ab55480274d1f0fafc7.jpg

Just now, LivinLOS said:

Looks kind of official to me.. They clearly are telling us they want to impose it, if they will manage to or not is another question entirely. 

2090252950_Healthinsurance-allgroups.jpg.f18ecdae07553ab55480274d1f0fafc7.jpg

This is part of the big picture politically. The Thaksin government introduced the 30 baht health scheme which was welcomed by the people but has a significant budgetary cost. Let me guess and say this is the major element of the MPH shortfall. Right now with stress on the economy I doubt there will be any more radical moves on foreigners. Travel insurance for "short timers" maybe. 

Personally if the new two tier pricing is anything to go by, I would be more than happy paying into a 60 baht scheme!!! 

I shouldn't be so flippant about this. If the Thai Govt asked me to pay 30K a year for comprehensive medical cover I think I would pay it. Perhaps we should suggest something like that? 

Edited by IsaanAussie