My Kasikorn card suddenly stops working abroad

In Malaysia. I was using it during a month, in ATMs and shops. And now all of a sudden when I try to pay or withraw money there's always an error. In ATMs the error code is "005".

I've tried different ATMs and shops -- still an error everywhere.

The thing is, it first failed in a coffee-shop, not at ATM. Only after that I went to an ATM to withdraw money.

But  online payments -- internet banking -- keep working well. I bought a ticket and just now I've paid for anothing thing to make sure it keeps working.

This card was obtained 2 months ago. But in general, I'm not a new client of Kasikorn.

I don't plan to return to Thailand soon.

Maybe I've been entering a wrong pin-code? I tried 2 times each time, not 3, at multiple ATMs. Although, the time period between the ATMs was short, 10-30 minutes.

A card is blocked after 3 consequent attempts, right?

Any idea? Before Kasikorn's supports gets back to me.

9 minutes ago, tabarin said:

You can call them by phone and they will have a English speaking person to help you or explain the reason at least. 

Have done so myself many times and they always been helpful. 

I posted my question here not for someone to tell such an obvious thing. What do you think? What's forum for? You could answer each question on this forum by "go to immigration and ask them", "call your bank and ask them" and "email your landlord and ask them".

Besides, they work Mon - Fri

6 minutes ago, totoshka said:

I posted my question here not for someone to tell such an obvious thing. What do you think? What's forum for? You could answer each question on this forum by "go to immigration and ask them", "call your bank and ask them" and "email your landlord and ask them".

It can have any reason, to expect finding that answer on a forum rather than with the bank is silly for starters. They are reachable 24 hours a day as well.
Seems you do not want a solution. 

Just wondering, is that KBank card the new(er) style with chip? Or is it the older style that is/was “swipe” only? 

the reason I ask is that I happen to have one of the older swipe style KBank atm cards (back then you could also have one made with your actual name embossed on it as opposed to the generic “privilege customer” or whatever they use now) and I recall getting several notices that starting in December that I couldn’t use this old style card anymore. 

is this by chance what you’re using?

There should be no error code 005 as the ATM machines have a long list of error codes and commands of which 005 is not one of them. It should have a letter prior to thennumber. Anyway it indicates that yur transaction was declined by Kasikorn Bank and not by the Malaysian Bank ATM. Malaysia has always been a location for Bank Card and ATM fraud going back 40 years. It is a constant battle for banks to stop fraud. In the early days the Credit Card companies relied on you telling them that you were going to visit Malaysia or another country. These days they rely on computers to track your location at the time you make the transaction. In the past they could perhaps only see that you had purchased a ticket to Malaysia on your bank card. These days the computer follows you location via the transactions you make in real time. They can also follow you by your mobile phone number unless, as in your case, you are not on international roaming. For unusual transations they will telephone you before allowing a transaction. 12 years ago I was buying a $3,000 computer at IT City Bangkok when CitiBank telephoned me to check that it was actually in the shop making the purchase. After 25 years as a customer they have a huge data base of transactions showing typical locations and countries I may visit so that they can ascertain the risk before allowing the transaction. I recommend that you telephone them again and dial 0 for the agent in charge and in future telephone them before you go overseas to tell them where you intend to visit. I do not know about Kasikorn, as I dumped them 26 years ago for Bangkok Bank. Bangkok Bank online allows you to send messages direct to them using the internet, perhaps Kasikorn does too.

Apparently, you can’t expect the card to “work” abroad - I have used mine In Malaysia for a few years without expecting to call them to activate the roaming function. 

You need to contact them before you travel and activate a function of o use overseas. I just asked them last week as I have a holiday in Sri Lanka planned. I queried why I would need to advise them if my travel plans as I have had no issues in the past, they said it works for a short time and at certain banks. 

I suspect it’s too late now, but I always hunted out a ‘Maybank’ to withdraw.

Looks like you have been getting away with it for a time and now your card has been flagged.

Good luck, in sick of talking to Kasikorn who have this “it may be” and “you could try” policy and when in reality they don’t have a clue why their transactions are declined. It may end up on a bus ride to Dannok kasikorn with your passport and bank book.

With CIMB and SCB, I've always had to go to the bank and make sure that they activate my card for use outside the country when I've traveled. They always want to know the exact dates that I'll be out of the country. I assume it's a fraud-prevention thing. Perhaps K-bank does the same thing.

When we used our Kasikorn ATM Card overseas we found that there were certain time periods (e.g Sunday am that the ATM would reject the transaction),which we suspected might be due to Kasikorn doing regular updates or whatever. For us anyway we made sure transactions weren't carried out during these periods and the card functioned otherwise. Not sure it will help in your case but hopefully you resolve your issue.

On 11/30/2019 at 8:05 PM, totoshka said:

How is someone at a forum supposed to be able to help you?

Have you reached a withdrawal limit? If you have access to online banking maybe you can see if something is wrong in settings. Maybe check your limits. Have you tried Cardless withdrawal using mobile banking? 

5 hours ago, recom273 said:

Apparently, you can’t expect the card to “work” abroad - I have used mine In Malaysia for a few years without expecting to call them to activate the roaming function. 

You need to contact them before you travel and activate a function of o use overseas. I just asked them last week as I have a holiday in Sri Lanka planned. I queried why I would need to advise them if my travel plans as I have had no issues in the past, they said it works for a short time and at certain banks. 

I suspect it’s too late now, but I always hunted out a ‘Maybank’ to withdraw.

Looks like you have been getting away with it for a time and now your card has been flagged.

Good luck, in sick of talking to Kasikorn who have this “it may be” and “you could try” policy and when in reality they don’t have a clue why their transactions are declined. It may end up on a bus ride to Dannok kasikorn with your passport and bank book.

His online banking works. It's withdrawing money from an ATM that doesn't work. 

"I posted my question here not for someone to tell such an obvious thing. What do you think? What's forum for? You could answer each question on this forum by "go to immigration and ask them", "call your bank and ask them" and "email your landlord and ask them".  Besides, they work Mon - Fri 

DUDE!  Pump the brakes!  You asked for help, and furnished "clues" that suggest you have used the wrong pin 3 times in less tan the waiting period.  Therefore, your card is most likely BLOCKED.  People telling you to call the bank ... are giving sound advice.

But I will help you ... go to the online banking (that you say still works) ... find the card-less transfer option ... and send yourself cash at an ATM ... assuming you have a mobile phone that works.

44 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

But I will help you ... go to the online banking (that you say still works) ... find the card-less transfer option ... and send yourself cash at an ATM ... assuming you have a mobile phone that works.

That won't work. The OP is in Malaysia. Cardless ATM withdrawals only work within Thailand.

1 minute ago, Caldera said:

That won't work. The OP is in Malaysia. Cardless ATM withdrawals only work within Thailand.

That is interesting ... I have only done them in Thailand ... It does make perfect sense, since you have to be at YOUR bank's ATM to do it.  Thanks for the input.

On 11/30/2019 at 9:05 PM, totoshka said:

you should be able to reach someone 24/7.

as for your response to the only common sense answer possible, how on earth would a random stranger on a forum on the internet be able to explain to you what was going on with your ATM card and banking?

On 11/30/2019 at 8:05 PM, totoshka said:
On 11/30/2019 at 7:58 PM, tabarin said:

Have done so myself many times and they always been helpful. 

I posted my question here not for someone to tell such an obvious thing.

How can some random TV opinion help in your situation that is related to your private bank account? The only solution is to call the bank. FWIW I have found that the ATM's in Malaysia (when you can find one that works) have been the most troublesome for me in SE Asia and card fraud is rampant, the only place I have had card details stolen is from a shopping mall in KL. YMMV.

7 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

you should be able to reach someone 24/7.

as for your response to the only common sense answer possible, how on earth would a random stranger on a forum on the internet be able to explain to you what was going on with your ATM card and banking?

I have a feeling even his call to customer service will not go well ... some people just have to sleep in the (negative) bed they make.  Oh wait!  Perhaps there IS a solution!  Let's tell him to swipe the card three times between his butt cheeks and report back to us! or ... Call the BANK !!!! 555!

@totoshka

https://www.kasikornbank.com/en/contact/Pages/contact.aspx

If you call +66 28888888 , you wait about 4-7 seconds and the prompt should say something like "for English, please press 2".

I just tested it and it looks like they moved that phrase to about 27 seconds into the prompts ????   Anyways, press 2 for English.

You can also email/fill out the form to contact.   But any sensitive information they are just going to tell you to call a number anyway.   But you can ask in the contact to give you the direct numbers to press.   So this will save you a couple of minutes of having to listen to all the prompts. 

-------------------------

For your problem specifically [just speculating], it is likely an ATM limit was reached.  Or try a different atm bank.  Especially if the ATM was working ok before.  And other types of transactions are still possible on the same card.    I assume you have online banking/k-plus app and can check some things yourself on your own laptop/phone?  (for k plus app, you may need the sim card of the phone # tied to k plus for it to work initially)

How much were you withdrawing per day/month?

9 hours ago, Max69xl said:

His online banking works. It's withdrawing money from an ATM that doesn't work. 

This thread is rather obnoxious - You lost me there, I know he was talking about ATM withdrawals, I didn’t mention anything about internet banking. 

I hope the guy is sorted now.

On 11/30/2019 at 12:49 PM, totoshka said:

Maybe I've been entering a wrong pin-code? I tried 2 times each time, not 3, at multiple ATMs. Although, the time period between the ATMs was short, 10-30 minutes.

A card is blocked after 3 consequent attempts, right?

Attempts are logged. 

Three times and card is locked, doesn't matter if you change ATM. 

Time period differ from banks, but at least 24h.

But the ATM should have kept your card. 

2 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Attempts are logged. 

Three times and card is locked, doesn't matter if you change ATM. 

Time period differ from banks, but at least 24h.

But the ATM should have kept your card. 

yes, 3 fails in 24 hours = Game Over.  I think that if he we using his bank's atm in Thailand ... or a partner bank in Thailand, it would have grabbed it ... not sure if an ATM in Malaysia is authorized to grab / destroy out of country cards, because .. who needs angry tourists screaming in your bank blaming your bank ... because they are so stupid and careless, they can't remember a 6 digit code.  Pretty sad really.

18 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

Haha. I was going to provide this information but felt it would be under appreciated. 

You and I are on the same page, this guy is really not one bit grateful for help, and seems to be blaming EVERYONE except "the man in the mirror" ... he is p-e-r-f-e-c-t and everyone else is to blame for his ... in this case ... inability to remember a 6 digit number that is critical to survival while traveling!  I could easily volunteer to sort this all out for him by simply walking across the street, and talking to my friend's wife ... the bank manager.  Do you see me doing that?  Nope ... for the reason you have so correctly pointed out.

Just now, torturedsole said:

Three fails in three months and it's game over.  There's actually no time limit as I found out with one of my credit cards a few weeks ago.  

Did you say "Credit Card?"  i believe we are discussing a debit card.  Completely different animal.  By the way ... do you live in Thailand?

Archived