Something weird

Zikomat

Recently a friend of friend of mine has been killed in a motorcycle accident (in Isaan). Something which happens in Thailand every single day. It was a young man (boy) who has just bought Yamaha bike 6 months ago. Took him some time to save 100 k baht.

But what really impressed me about this case was what followed the accident. First, I followed the man’s Facebook page. Many of his friends and relatives expressed their condolences on it. Almost half of these posts contained a photo of the dead guy with the motorbike he died driving on. Even more, there were photos of the guy, motorbike and empty beer bottles. And the ‘best’ one was published by his , probably former, girlfriend: she and him on the riding bike with a bottle of beer situated between them.

Then there was a funeral. On the big, probably buddhist, pedestal there was a big picture of the killed guy. Guess what else was on the photo? Yes , the same Yamaha killer-motorbike in full view.

Now I wonder what kind of culture is this? How do they view the world? And do these people ever try to learn from their mistakes? 

22 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

Now I wonder what kind of culture is this?

Welcome! This is Thailand.

How do they view the world?

As they please. Probably same as you.

And do these people ever try to learn from their mistakes?

No, but that is not very different from other cultures either. 

4 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

to Moonlover:

With this kind of statistics why nothing is done to change situation? From my example above it seems like many people in this society accept these accidents as a part of normal life.

Very few people in this country operate a vehicle without any kind of drivers licence including under age school kids  why nothing is done about it,  we would all like to know that. People do accept this as a part  of normal life, because to them  IT  IS   a part of normal life.

58 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

to Moonlover:

With this kind of statistics why nothing is done to change situation? From my example above it seems like many people in this society accept these accidents as a part of normal life.

It's been debated no end of times on this forum and elsewhere for as long I've been here and no doubt for many years prior to that.

Let me provide you with a very Thai answer, from a mature and very sensible woman, my wife: 'If they want to be dead, it's up to them'. 

I've long since given up even bothering about it.

1 hour ago, Zikomat said:

1. Now I wonder what kind of culture is this ?

2. How do they view the world ?

3. And do these people ever try to learn from their mistakes ?

1. An Asian one.

2. Different from other cultures.

3. No !!!  They will just jump on any scoot / wave type bike / or motorbike and ride without any proper training.

3 hours ago, Zikomat said:

Now I wonder what kind of culture is this? How do they view the world? And do these people ever try to learn from their mistakes? 

A less provincial culture than taught in your own little home village I guess. In the West they go much, much further.

DEAD WEIRD The rise of bizarre ‘extreme embalming’ trend where dead bodies are arranged in lifelike poses so they can attend their own funerals

Why? 

Burbank’s daughter Zymora Kimball also told the news station that not everyone approved of the send-off. “A lot of people didn’t accept what I was doing,” she said. “I didn’t let that stop me, and I know she’s happy with how she’s looking. That’s her, that’s Mae.”

Nor is that practice anything recent: People In The 1800s Did THIS With Dead Bodies.

I think Thais might well wonder what kind of culture is that, don't you think? But to remember the deceased at his happiest moments, having good times, doing what he enjoyed--the way he'd like to be remembered--is just TOTALLY understandable and quite common in many cultures I suppose.

"Learning from their mistakes" is merely a bigoted generalization for the usual forum schoolmarm and expert safety instructor purposes. No, the young man's funeral doesn't need to be turned into a DLT-style motorcycle safety lecture about his "mistakes." Now, that helmetless old Brit codger killed recently making a dangerous U-turn plainly hadn't learned from anyone's mistakes. Nor is it clear how your friend's accident happened and what he might have done to prevent it--if anything. So I guess the OP is more about the limitations of your own culture and views.

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Just a thought.

Perhaps that guy, loved that bike, always dreamed of having one.

Died doing what he loved. They all knew it and you didn't.

All you saw was a motorcycle he died on.

Let’s imagine that he died from heroine overdose. And we all know how those addicts love heroine - more than their mothers and even their life. So what - let’s place some of the substance on his grave? Or maybe a photo of the guy in the state of happiness right after injection?  

8 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

Let’s imagine that he died from heroine overdose. And we all know how those addicts love heroine - more than their mothers and even their life. So what - let’s place some of the substance on his grave? Or maybe a photo of the guy in the state of happiness right after injection?  

Sorry, but thats totally ridiculous comparison and not the same at all.

And regarding my ‘culture’ and views: when and if my young son will tell me that he is going to buy a big bike - I will do my best to discourage him. And when another brainless teen will smash his head on the big bus - I will show those pictures to my son as a proof why motorbike is a bad choice for him. And you guys, blaming me for not understanding the Thai way, you may do Exactly the opposite. You are so “open-minded” that you seem not to be able to tell cultural things from the right out stupidity.

6 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Sorry, but thats totally ridiculous comparison and not the same at all.

What is the difference? Driving 150-200 km/h with the brain fool of ethanol is really different from taking drugs? It is even worse since the drunk idiot is also risking other people’s lives. 

11 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

What is the difference? Driving 150-200 km/h with the brain fool of ethanol different from taking drugs? It is even worse since in the first instance the drunk idiot is also risking other people lives. 

If you can't or more accurately won't see the difference that's up to you. Let's ban motorcycles and make them illegal too, let's stop the manufacture all together.

Ridiculous, compare it to heroin ????

15 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

What is the difference? Driving 150-200 km/h with the brain fool of ethanol is really different from taking drugs? It is even worse since the drunk idiot is also risking other people’s lives. 

The assumptions you have made in your posts are truly astounding.

17 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

If you can't or more accurately won't see the difference that's up to you. Let's ban motorcycles and make them illegal too, let's stop the manufacture all together.

Ridiculous, compare it to heroin ????

I would certainly ban it IN THAILAND for the young men under 25 y.o. My analogy with heroin is perfectly fine.

11 hours ago, Zikomat said:

Education starts from birth with robust parental teachings and reinforced by the education system.  This is non-existent in LOS.  Next. 

On 12/2/2019 at 8:59 PM, papa al said:

Like what would you suggest be done?

& by whom?

The government. But I can understand why the ruling elite is not willing to change this and many other aspects of Isaan "culture". Let them drink alcohol, drive motorbikes, play lottery, have sex starting at the age 13 , engage in prostitution and other similar activities as much as they wish and they will not challenge the rulers any time soon. Guaranteed. Will they (Lao people of Isaan) ever be able to help themselves? Not in the near future.

On 12/2/2019 at 9:54 AM, Zikomat said:

to Moonlover:

7 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Up to them, I am past caring.

Most sensible comment I've yet heard on any TV driving/riding related thread. 

Archived