Successful SETV entry at BKK

My wife and I had last stayed 9 months on a METV and departed Thailand 2/28/2019. Though we were out of the country about 9 months and didn't expect any problems I was worried. Since we plan to change to Thailand Elite next year we got a SETV instead of a METV thinking this would be easier to gain entry with. We also decided to make CNX our port of entry even though BKK is our true destination. I just didn't want an problems this last time we use the tourist visa and didn't mind spending some time in Chiang Mai first. Ironically through a series of airline mishaps (caused by flight delays and lost baggage) we ended up getting rerouted to BKK. I will try to post about that in another thread.

We waited in line and tried to go to a male customers officer after experiencing less interrogation with them. We thought we had this squared away but as we approached the agent we noticed there was a man AND a woman officer sitting at adjoining desks. The female officer was obstructed from view until the last moment. There were 50/50 odds! My wife ended up getting called to the female officer; I held my breathe and she was stamped and waved in without incident. I went to the male officer with the same outcome. I guess in the end it was much ado about nothing for us but I still don't regret being overly cautious.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mstevens said:

Is this what things have come to in Thailand.....people who applied for a visa in advance celebrate when they are allowed in?!

yes.  Similar to some of the youtube videos that show border control and people enter into countries with a pre approved evisa, but then have to run a gauntlet after they buy a ticket, put work on hold, use vacation, fly half way around the world, then have to sweat out local immigration.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mstevens said:

Is this what things have come to in Thailand.....people who applied for a visa in advance celebrate when they are allowed in?!

Yes, they are randomly rejecting people at the ports of entry. When people fly half way around the world they are correct to be nervous about being rejected because it does happen.

Immigration have made it this way quite deliberately.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

Yes, they are randomly rejecting people at the ports of entry. When people fly half way around the world they are correct to be nervous about being rejected because it does happen.

Well .... on here it's seemingly happening.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mstevens said:

Now you know how it feels when we Asians manage to achieve the same thing as the OP when we travel to the US or Australia or Europe. Tit for tat.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mvdf said:

Now you know how it feels when we Asians manage to achieve the same thing as the OP when we travel to the US or Australia or Europe. Tit for tat.

I’ve heard about ZERO horror stories. I have many Thai friends visit me in the states and of course they have visas. They get asked a few questions and on their way. Some have a bag searched ( so have I a few times ) I bet you have one person you know or one time with one story and you are exaggerating. My Thai friends mostly have 10 year multiple entry visas to the USA and several have 5 year multiple entry visas to Canada. I could never get such a convenient visa here!! And the amount I spend on METV’s and visa trips over the years is way more than Thais spend on a 10 year METV. They also come and get a full 90 days and can travel from Boston to San Francisco ( a 5 day drive or 6 hour flight ) down to Miami ( another 6 hour flight ) up NYC and NEVER once have to tell USA immigration where they are! Asians have it easy. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ukrules said:

Immigration have made it this way quite deliberately.

Out of 30 odd million people arriving,how many are randomly rejected?

How many of those rejected have a back story they don't mention when posting on this forum?

1 minute ago, emptypockets said:

Out of 30 odd million people arriving,how many are randomly rejected?

I don't know, all I know is that it seems to be happening based on the reports I read.

I don't care for any excuses as to why it happens, it happens - that's good enough for me.

You were out of the country 9 months man. Absolutely no idea why you had to be worried. The IO’s are looking at the “visa runners” who are living here on tourist visas and haven’t spent more time in their home countries than thailand ;)

Now after your METV is up and you’ve stayed here all 9 months and try to get  new visa immediately then i would take pre caution from there haha

15 hours ago, acenase said:

You were out of the country 9 months man. Absolutely no idea why you had to be worried. The IO’s are looking at the “visa runners” who are living here on tourist visas and haven’t spent more time in their home countries than thailand ????

Now after your METV is up and you’ve stayed here all 9 months and try to get  new visa immediately then i would take pre caution from there haha

I was worried because my wife and I came close to being denied entry during our final entry into Thailand on our previous METV. Sure there was an element of paranoia but I couldn't be certain we weren't flagged our a record of that was made. It turns out no.

On 12/4/2019 at 1:47 AM, mstevens said:

this is what happens when people read too much thai visa and become paranoid.

from the description, im amazed he didnt get pulled up for looking shifty