Thai students well below global average in reading, science and maths: study

webfact

I always read these threads with regard to the Thai education system (or lack of it) I have no input as I have no kids involved in the Thai education system, but it always surprises me that Rooster never gives any feedback, after all he has two lots of kids go through the system and has been a teacher as well.

It's always interesting to get the perspective of you lot out there using the system and from those doing their best to deliver a quality product but hampered by the system. Just my thoughts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HeyHeyHey said:

China cheated their way to 1st place as they always do

I certainly don't see the intelligence when I happen to accidentally book a 4* or 5* hotel frequented by Chinese

What you didn’t notice is who owns the hotel, the tour company, and all the locations the tour company takes them to.

Don’t confuse people with enough money to travel as being intelligent. Many of them are farmers who got rich because the government needed their land.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, kotsak said:

"The paradox of education is precisely this - that as one begins to become conscious one begins to examine the society in which he is being educated."

why is that a paradox?  Not sure who invented this quote, but it is meaningless. To be educated is to question, assess and seek to understand the World around you, that is the reason for being educated, therefore it's an inevitable objective and consequence of education, so not a paradox.

• Like 1

Strange that Vietnam was not tested. They're usually pretty good in sciences and mathematics, plus a lot of them learn English. A Viet team ranked 7th out of 110 teams in the International Mathematics Olympiad held in the UK last July. I figure the Viets would rank in the top 25 at least in the PISA tests. 

https://vovworld.vn/en-US/spotlight/vietnam-wins-2-gold-4-silver-medals-at-intl-maths-olympiad-2019-768039.vov

But Philippines?  Really? Bottom of the pack in the PISA tests. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, z42 said:

Absolutely dreadful. It is hard to pin the performance on 1 single factor, but in all my years as a teacher & teacher trainer i've never seen anything as ghastly as the "no fail" policy that is in force in LOS.

As for the plan to get Filipino teachers or barely qualified NES teachers to magically boost English to super high levels, it is doomed to failure as daily exposure to English language outside the main tourist areas is almost nil.

Over the years here, I have met a lot of English teachers but NOT one from England did met 2-3 from the USA but the majority were from Nigeria, Kenya, South Africa, Russia and the huge majority from the Philippines, unfortunately couldn't keep a conversation with them as their conversational skills was extremely low and hard to understand (I am not a racist, just pointing out based on my experience)

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, cooked said:

Last week, as far as I can work out, my granddaughter's school abolished lessons and practised cheering, as in cheer leader. The whole week, really. On Friday she tells us she has to go to school on the Sunday, no idea what that was about until the Monday, when I realised that they had organised a foot race to be cheered at. On to Monday morning, she gets a Facebook message from her teacher at 7am, go to another place instead of the school. We do that, no idea what is going on, we saw the teacher and she didn't seem to know either. This week: SPORT, cheered on by those that practised cheering last week, apparently. AND: looks like she has to go to school on the 25th and 26th December for a 'camp'. Or something. So I can unorganise the festivities and reorganise them. 

How much gets learnt with this kind of time wasting and disorganisation? Last year we were going to meet up with visitors from Germany on the islands until it was decided at the last minute that that week would unusually be a school week.  

Sounds much the same as at my work. The staff do nothing and most of them don't actually learn anything or care about self-improvement but demand pay rises, staff parties, outings, bonuses etc.

• Haha 2

They really got us with this statistics! Who ever could have thought it was that bad? ????

4 hours ago, mok199 said:

Yet they start at age 3....IMHO they spend all their time learning this LidicuRous  language....

Yep start at 3, and according to the statistics a lot dumber at 16. Counting with the amount they should have been learning.

Edited by Matzzon
  • Like 1