Number Of Foreign Beggars Have Increased - Social Development And Welfare

Jai Dee

Number of foreign beggars have increased - Social Development and Welfare

Director of the Department of Social Development and Welfare (DSDW) reports that the number of beggars from neighboring countries has increased while the number of Thai beggars have dropped.

DSDW Director Pakorn Phanthu (ปกรณ์ พันธุ) says begging is now a business. Survey shows that there are 1,000-1,500 beggars each year. 60 percent of which is foreigners and 40 percent is Thai. Most of them operate in Bangkok, the vicinities, and other major provinces respectively. The director expresses his belief that the number of beggars in the country may drop in the future.

Mr Pakorn adds that the government has amended the 1941 Control of Public Begging Act to punish those leading or deceiving others to be work as a beggar. DSDW has cooperated with relevant units in assisting the victims by restoring their health and providing vocational training for them.

As for the foreign beggars, DSDW will use resolute measures to control them. Male foreign beggars will be sent back to their home countries immediately. Child and woman ones will be interrogated whether they were deceived to become a beggar. If evidences show that women and children are decived by ring leaders to beg on the streets, they will receive aid and protection by DSDW.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 31 March 2007

As for the foreign beggars, DSDW will use resolute measures to control them. Male foreign beggars will be sent back to their home countries immediately.

kudos to bkkmadness... and adios to the Dutch beggar :o

yes agreed. I remember reading about that dutch begger, what happened to him? There was a similar case of a person begging in londons kings cross tube station. Making 100000 pounds per year and driving a porsche

While this story MIGHT be thought of as looking at him .... more likely is that it is about the cambodian land mine victims etc ...

but NOT having to look at snotty nosed kids that don't get leaned up by their mom's won't bother me at all!

As for the foreign beggars, DSDW will use resolute measures to control them. Male foreign beggars will be sent back to their home countries immediately.

kudos to bkkmadness... and adios to the Dutch beggar :o

yes agreed. I remember reading about that dutch begger, what happened to him? There was a similar case of a person begging in londons kings cross tube station. Making 100000 pounds per year and driving a porsche

From this site and video, its looks as though the man is still earning his living in bkk.

Each to their own

http://www.bangkokrecorder.com/blog/bangko...angkok-864.html

It's interesting. I often see topics raised here at Thai Visa that the government and newspapers have payed little attention to. Then after a few days you'll see an editorial in The Nation or Bangkok Post, or a government press release dealing with that very topic. Foreigners don't matter much here, but I do believe what we think about and talk about does matter. Maybe because there is more diversity of opinion and perceived freedom to voice it, than can be found on Thai websites.

To me, such people only give the Authorities more reasons to further tighten up the immigration laws and make it even more difficult for decent folks to be able to stay.

Yes you are probably right , but it shouldn't . Begging often seems to get ThaiVisa readers hot under the collar , but i can't see why. Why do the authorities care ? If people sit on the street and beg why not let them ? Better surely than forcing them off the street where at least they can get some money. Farang beggers seem to outrage the readers here more than Thai ones . If a farang wants to sit on the streets of Bangkok and beg , why do any of you here object? Just leave him alone .