Hole in Water Pump

Mango Bob

Our Mitsubishi water pump (11 years old) has a hole in the back side with water spraying out.  Can it be fixed or just buy a new one.  We have two pumps one is for the house using filtered water.  The one that has the hole is used for watering around the house and has no filter.  If this is not the right category please move it.

You can fix it if it is not the seam leaking and is a simple hole.  I've done it. But for about 1600 Baht-ish you can buy a new tank. For more if you need more than another 11 years you can get a stainless one around 3000. They simply need to know what model number you have. 

If it is a hole . I used a large diameter screw, some epoxy and a bit of old motorbike inner tube.

I've welded holes, temporarily patched thme with a self tapping screw and rubber washer and even welded on the entire bottom of a tank the had rusted out. I now but them from Kang Yong Wattana in  Bangkok.  The last one was for a WP-255 and cost 1200 baht.

20 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

You can fix it if it is not the seam leaking and is a simple hole.  I've done it. But for about 1600 Baht-ish you can buy a new tank. For more if you need more than another 11 years you can get a stainless one around 3000. They simply need to know what model number you have. 

If it is a hole . I used a large diameter screw, some epoxy and a bit of old motorbike inner tube.

Any fix would be temporary, the tank is corroding from the inside and just keep finding the weakest spot. I think quite common with Mitsubishi, I have had 2 go, one after about 2 years and the other about 12 years, my Hitachi pumps seem to have fared better, and one of them is outside.

Best to get a new stainless tank fitted. 

As noted the best thing is to take a photo model etc.. and go down to a store that sells the pumps. If you get the exact same one it is pretty much a do it yourself job. Cost will run 1500-2000 baht for the lower tank. 

I did try to patch the hole but tough and temporary since it was rusting all over the place.  My pump was also 10 year plus, I had a hard time removing many of the bolts since weather and water had gotten to them and had them frozen from the rust. It was actually a simple job but due to the age of the bolts and I snapping a number of bolts I ended up hiring a Thai plumber who works on them for another 1000 baht he had to retread many of the bolts to get them off. While he was doing this I went back to the same store got new gaskets and bolts by the end of the day it was like the pump was rebuild?

Each bolt that was replaced I coated them with waterproof grease so to slow down the rust I wouldn't have to go through it again. I got a stainless steel tank for 1800 baht.

22 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

Can it be fixed or just buy a new one.

I've fixed a small – or tiny – hole in a Mitsubishi pump with epoxy, the so-called 5 minutes steel. It's not looking nice, but it's under the cover and has lasted for several years. However, now my pump is close to 10-years old and a new replacement is needed, as the tank begin to rust. Spending 2,000-3,000 baht for a new tank to an otherwise old pump that can be replaced for 6,000-7,000 baht, is not worth it.

20191217_pump-fix.jpg.02cadda8428f5cf961c7d3ec35b8a545.jpg

I would say for an already 11-year old pump, just buy a new. Around 10 years would often be the lifetime of a pump, but of course depending og overall condition and corrosion.

Thank you.  I will buy a new pump.  I will take the one that currently goes to our house and move that to go to the tank that takes care of our watering for the yard and get a new pump for the house with more pressure because we have done some remodeling of the years.  

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Seems like the fix? Likely not "proper" stainless but better than nowt.

That is your opinion?  care to explain why because it has been in for a year running all the time the Stainless tank at least from the outside is clean looking and shows no rust whatsoever!  The tank stainless from the outside seem better than the original for the money it was better than spending 10,000 baht for a new one when everything on the top is still working.  And before you get all negative about the cost I got a large pump.

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

care to explain

There are many grades of stainless steel. Some more resistant to corrosion than others. Pots and pans from one grade, office chairs from another, car exhausts ,etc., etc. impossible to tell grades apart visually. ????Ask someone who has stainless steel gates or wall spikes who lives near the sea.

If the OP buys a SS tank for the same price as an original and it lasts more than 11 years then it is all well and good. It all depends on the asking price. If he can find one for 1800 baht and it lasts more than 11 years..........

Mango: Most pumps put out the same pressure. It will be the volume that increases with size. The constant pressure ones that have slightly higher pressure. 

1429342885.jpg

57b119318cce0_MitsubishiWaterPumpSpecs.t

Thanks for clarification but your comments and stats still doesn't justify your remarks here is why?  Based on your first comment " based on visual "  You haven't seen it and what is right I haven't had it for eleven years so why even present such a comment about the tank maybe down the road when my 1800 baht start to leak and I come on here and present it?

Here in Thailand no matter how much money you spend on a product as far as I'm concern there is no guarantee as to what you are going to get? majority of time you just cross your finger and hope for the best?

My original pump the tank in the bottom was leaking badly for whatever reason it was way beyond patching or fixing and that was confirmed when it was removed. The fact that bolts were rusted etc. wasn't because I didn't spend enough on the pump it is just the state of things here at time with Thailand that a product design and made to hold water regularly rust through. Based on what happen to the original tank I wasn't going to purchased an exact replacement so when presented with an alternative for the same money I took it why go back to something that didn't work the first time.

Last, the discussion was able a Leak, my opinion as to what I did in my situation right or wrong will be determine in time which can't be determine by you or me presently.

When someone comments about a Leak then ends and starts talking not relevant " pump pressure " and a chart that isn't relevant then it is time to end this conversation I hope you take a moment and understand what I'm getting at?

13 hours ago, thailand49 said:

That is your opinion?  care to explain why because it has been in for a year running all the time the Stainless tank at least from the outside is clean looking and shows no rust whatsoever!  The tank stainless from the outside seem better than the original for the money it was better than spending 10,000 baht for a new one when everything on the top is still working.  And before you get all negative about the cost I got a large pump.

Your price is quite reasonable, I was about the same.

Some people get hung up on "proper" stainless. What they are referring to is the difference between 304 and 430 stainless, any easy check is with a magnet, it will not stick to 304 but it will to 430 because of a ferritic content. It doesn't matter which grade has been used the tank will last a lot longer than the moving parts on top.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Some people get hung up on "proper" stainless. What they are referring to is the difference between 304 and 430 stainless, any easy check is with a magnet, it will not stick to 304 but it will to 430 because of a ferritic content. It doesn't matter which grade has been used the tank will last a lot longer than the moving parts on top.

Thanks for the very good tip re the differences in various grades of stainless and how to check for them.

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

Thanks,  nice to know! 

On 12/17/2019 at 8:15 PM, VocalNeal said:

There are many grades of stainless steel. Some more resistant to corrosion than others. Pots and pans from one grade, office chairs from another, car exhausts ,etc., etc. impossible to tell grades apart visually. ????Ask someone who has stainless steel gates or wall spikes who lives near the sea.

If the OP buys a SS tank for the same price as an original and it lasts more than 11 years then it is all well and good. It all depends on the asking price. If he can find one for 1800 baht and it lasts more than 11 years..........

Mango: Most pumps put out the same pressure. It will be the volume that increases with size. The constant pressure ones that have slightly higher pressure. 

1429342885.jpg

57b119318cce0_MitsubishiWaterPumpSpecs.t

We have the EP -15505 we want to get the EP305.  Because we add on with a new room one flight up since we got the older pump and the pressure is okay but not great.

Archived