Tourist visa run to vientiane question

Hi, I'm an expat living in Thailand. Is Vientiane still a good option for doing a tourist visa run for people who already have a lot of previous Thailand stamps and tourist visas?

I've heard a couple things recently from friends saying that it has gotten a lot stricter there. If anyone has recent experience there, would love to know how it went.

Thanks.

If you already have significant recent time in Thailand as a tourist, you can no longer use Vientiane to get tourist visas. Sorry about that. Best chance in the region is probably Yangon, Kuala Lumpur, Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi. There is nowhere left that is a sure thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

If you already have significant recent time in Thailand as a tourist, you can no longer use Vientiane to get tourist visas. Sorry about that. Best chance in the region is probably Yangon, Kuala Lumpur, Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi. There is nowhere left that is a sure thing.

Many people around here have been headed to Yangon and said it's been headache free so far 

1 hour ago, edwardandtubs said:
4 hours ago, Nakmuay887 said:

Many people around here have been headed to Yangon and said it's been headache free so far 

And how are these people avoiding headaches at Don Muang airport?

The safe solution is to return to Thailand overland:

overnight VIP bus to Myawaddy, enter Thailand at Maesot, (if desired) fly to Don Muang domestic from Maesot airport near the border.

16 hours ago, BritTim said:

No wonder businesses all over Thailand are closing down, this thread will tell you that it is not all to do with the strong baht.

• Like 1

I had a lot of trouble in Vientiane about 6 months ago. I used to go there often until about 3 years ago and never had issues, but the last time I was there will be the last time I go back unless I hear things have improved. I'm only hearing bad things this year.

Like a lot of others I'm thinking about joining those who have already given up on Thailand entirely. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a big change in the near future whether it's another coup or much less likely the government waking up and no longer shooting its own country in the foot by alienating so many of the foreigners spending money here. At some point all these struggling businesses and angry Thais whose businesses have already closed up will presumably cause something to happen, it's just a matter of what and when. Thais aren't exactly good at keeping their eyes open to reality, but they excel in stubborn denial, so they will probably take some time to accept that replacing the old demographic of tourists with Chinese and Indians isn't going to work well for them, for multiple reasons. Most sane people would have predicted it in advance, anyone with much sense can clearly see it now, but the Thai government will possibly maintain denial and belief in its own BS for some time yet. In the mean time, best of luck to you!

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, BritTim said:

That is the point , they don't want you to come back LAZY

Finance proof by bank statement and additional questions can be expected. As anywhere else, only safe place left is Savannakhet.

Exact requirements can't be clarified as it changes by the day. At least 20,000 baht by bank statement is common today.

Edited by tabarin

2 hours ago, tabarin said:

Finance proof by bank statement and additional questions can be expected. As anywhere else, only safe place left is Savannakhet.

Exact requirements can't be clarified as it changes by the day. At least 20,000 baht by bank statement is common today.

Savannakhet no longer issue tourist visas to anybody that has spent 90 days or more in Thailand during the previous 6 months. Reports are suggesting a new passport no longer helps. It is reported in other places over the last week, that both Savannakhet and Vientiane are requesting to see your old passport if you attempt to apply there with a new one before accepting an application. 
They are on to the changing of the passport game.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tabarin said:

Actually, Savannakhet has become one of the worst places to apply for tourist visas, matched probably only by Phnom Penh among options in countries adjoining Thailand.

No one should assume that experiences even one year ago are relevant to what you can expect now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

Actually, Savannakhet has become one of the worst places to apply for tourist visas, matched probably only by Phnom Penh among options in countries adjoining Thailand.

No one should assume that experiences even one year ago are relevant to what you can expect now.

You may want to add Hanoi to the list of places to avoid if you have any visa history. Hong Kong is now a no go for any visas for anybody unless you hold a Hong Kong residents card.
Manila is questionable. No recent reports but they have recently added the need to have a Filipino residents card to there list of requirements when applying for visas.

On 12/18/2019 at 2:58 AM, BritTim said:

overnight VIP bus to Myawaddy, enter Thailand at Maesot, (if desired) fly to Don Muang domestic from Maesot airport near the border.

I doubt many people are actually doing that though. Who would go to all that trouble just for an extra 60 days?

On 12/18/2019 at 2:58 AM, BritTim said:

Another option is to fly from Yangon (RGN) to Tachilek (THL) and cross over to Mae Sai in Chiang Rai. Then from Chiang Rai to Bangkok.

I can recall a post about doing it to avoid Bangkok airports.