Thai tourism: TAT turn to fortune teller for help

webfact

18 hours ago, sydneyjed said:

Like Thai Airways in a state of denial and when the crash comes it will be too late!

Flew Thai airways 3 weeks ago (I fly a lot but in the last few years Thai has not been competitively priced so have flown with other carriers).   I was rather shocked at the downward slide.  It was a big top 747 and rather tired with an old entertainment system that didn't work and it was not very clean. The magazine was missing half its front page and the safety guide had been handled so often the laminate was peeled half off.  The standard of the food had dropped substantially.  The age and general unhappiness of the cabin crew had notably increased.  Not a good sign at all.  Their discount airline Thai Smile seems better in every respect. I was for many years a loyal supporter of Thai but their deteriorating membership system, uncompetitive pricing and drop in other dimensions will take a massive effort and injection of strategic management and investment to crawl back to previous time.  I wish them well. 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, linno2 said:

Flew Thai airways 3 weeks ago (I fly a lot but in the last few years Thai has not been competitively priced so have flown with other carriers).   I was rather shocked at the downward slide.  It was a big top 747 and rather tired with an old entertainment system that didn't work and it was not very clean. The magazine was missing half its front page and the safety guide had been handled so often the laminate was peeled half off.  The standard of the food had dropped substantially.  The age and general unhappiness of the cabin crew had notably increased.  Not a good sign at all.  Their discount airline Thai Smile seems better in every respect. I was for many years a loyal supporter of Thai but their deteriorating membership system, uncompetitive pricing and drop in other dimensions will take a massive effort and injection of strategic management and investment to crawl back to previous time.  I wish them well. 

Yes, me too. I wish them well too, but I don't think wellness is on their horizon.

Minister for tourism asks:

Mirror Mirror on the wall what can we do to fix the tourist trade?

Mirror Answers -----That is a tough one 1/ Stop government obstruction 2/ devalue the Baht 3/Clean up your beaches 4/ Provide more safety for tourists 5/ Stop tourists from being scammed

Minister replies Thanks Mirror but we got no intention of doing any of them. We will just fudge the numbers so we all get our big bonus at the end of the year Much easier

"It aims to focus on positive energy, environmental awareness, less trash and the gaining of merit."

Sounds very positive to me, i could support that, nothing wrong with that. 

Must have been challenging for Thaivisa to pick out and blow up the "fortune teller" detail in order to give it the usual negative and cynical twist. 

Feng shui is a very big thing in China and they do take this very seriously.

It is not the first time the Thai government is using this either.

I think you are all a bit hard on them.

Yes maybe they are getting desperate but what can they do?

Ask for our thoughts and prayers?

This is not Kansas.

Linno2. Speaking of national air carriers, South African Airlines are so deep in the poo poo, that Flight Centre World Wide refuses too even promote nor sell tickets on the air line.

Travel Insurance Consultants (TIC) are no longer willing to cover S A A under their Travel Supplier Insolvency benefit, due to doubts concerning the long-term viability of the airline. 

I passed through Cape Town International airport last weekend, I did not not see one S A A Flagged aircraft on the aprons nor in plane? ha ha (plain), sight.

Maybe Thai air can follow them down the emergency chute?

As for the tourists, they have brains and social media to help make informed decisions as to where holiday in safety and not get double charged nor ripped off.

On 12/18/2019 at 10:08 AM, Mister Fixit said:

Pattaya down 40% last week, Samui down 30% this week and Phuket 30-35%.

Time to put the prices up!  

Nowt to worry about. A nice spot of Feng Shui'll sort that out sharpish.

Is my cheque ready yet?

On 12/18/2019 at 1:02 PM, dotpoom said:

The guys down at the local will be well pleased with me tonight when I bring them this latest news on tourism. You would love it...they're like little kids waiting on the edge of their seats in full anticipation of whatever latest news I might have for them concerning the latest tourism figures in Thailand.. . Then, after I have enlightened them.. we all get down to the "serious" business at hand.."gulping down as many pints as we can before closing time".

It's not an easy life...but somebody has to do it.

Before closing time and before the prices go up. ????

4 hours ago, jvs said:

This is not Kansas.

What can they do??

Do 'something, anything' constructive would be a good start.

*quote edited out*

Yeah come on

They are turning to the spiritual realms to improve tourism, it's laughable.

Instead of praying, maybe they could DO SOMETHING like a poster above mentioned.

Revise their ridiculous visa system, stop closing bars at 1am,

have some real action against scams, taxi fees, double pricing systems,

have harsher law enforcement for attacks on tourists,

clean up the beaches!!!

and that's just a few REAL problems that keep tourism down

It is not the God of anti-tourism that has to be compelled

7 hours ago, MarcB said:

Yeah come on

They are turning to the spiritual realms to improve tourism, it's laughable.

Instead of praying, maybe they could DO SOMETHING like a poster above mentioned.

Revise their ridiculous visa system, stop closing bars at 1am,

have some real action against scams, taxi fees, double pricing systems,

have harsher law enforcement for attacks on tourists,

clean up the beaches!!!

and that's just a few REAL problems that keep tourism down

It is not the God of anti-tourism that has to be compelled

Why are you quoting me on something I didn't post???

They have always used fortune tellers that where they get their bloated predictions from. alas no mention of the exchange rate concerns and one of the real reasons less people are coming and why the hotels are all now about 1/3 full.

On 12/18/2019 at 10:47 AM, Misterwhisper said:

Dr. Katha seems strangely surprised about the honor... when he should've seen it all coming.

That's right- these tarot card readers, fortune tellers, psychics.....they're all frauds, mate! 

1 hour ago, nong38 said:

They have always used fortune tellers that where they get their bloated predictions from. alas no mention of the exchange rate concerns and one of the real reasons less people are coming and why the hotels are all now about 1/3 full.

The exchange rate has an effect but attitudes when reacting to tourists have a bigger effect. We had a bottle of wine with a meal in Vietnam costing 400,000 Dong. After the meal we decided on a second bottle. When the bottle arrived it was the next on the list at 650,000, the waiter said sorry we don't have the first choice but you can have this one at 400,000 as it's our fault we don't have what you wanted.

Same wine in LOS is 1500 to 2000 baht by the way.

23 hours ago, overherebc said:

14 hours ago, overherebc said:

Why are you quoting me on something I didn't post???

I did not Quote you at all

I quoted the post below from JVS, to which you replied

On 12/19/2019 at 2:56 PM, jvs said:

This is not Kansas.

What can they do??

Do 'something, anything' constructive would be a good start.

Learn how to read before you panic

Archived