Pollution Control Department launches ‘No Car Wednesday’ initiative

webfact

21 hours ago, Matzzon said:

people seeing me walking would think I had no money for my own transport, causing her a loss of face.

When we first moved to the village locals were aghast when they saw my wife walking, then she bought a bicycle they were still aghast since being married to a farang they thought she should be driving around in a Mercedes or BMW.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Prairieboy said:

Just how many coal-fired electric plants would be needed to supply the electricity to charge all these electric vehicles?  Wake up and smell the coffee!

If the industry got their act together then more solar cells could be used to charge the vehicles. I think I read about a plan to start doing this here at proposed new charging stations.

Then we could drink tea and not have to smell the coffee.

24 minutes ago, Prairieboy said:

When we first moved to the village locals were aghast when they saw my wife walking, then she bought a bicycle they were still aghast since being married to a farang they thought she should be driving around in a Mercedes or BMW.

Could you please learn how to use the forum. Do not take another persons post and put my name on it, like you have done here:

21 hours ago, Matzzon said:

people seeing me walking would think I had no money for my own transport, causing her a loss of face.

That is not my posting. 

Edited by Matzzon

2 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

Just keep quiet about the butler and two maids back home. And don't even think about mentioning the driver who services the Roller'

8 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

Just how many coal-fired electric plants would be needed to supply the electricity to charge all these electric vehicles?  Wake up and smell the coffee!

Even then it's less polluting overall. And it clears up the air in urban areas, where most people live and breathe.

On 12/19/2019 at 6:51 PM, overherebc said:

You do quite often in UK see senior position people and MP's biking to work.

Well this is just an idiotic idea if you think people in Bangkok should be on bicycles. It's a death warrant not to mention how out of shape and soft I'd expect most middle class, middle aged Thai to be. Then the lunacy of biking from Nonthaburi into the CBD?

Your post is also ironic in that the issue is air pollution. Who wants to bike in 32-38c weather with pollution levels 160++?

But please go set the example.

40 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Well this is just an idiotic idea if you think people in Bangkok should be on bicycles. It's a death warrant not to mention how out of shape and soft I'd expect most middle class, middle aged Thai to be. Then the lunacy of biking from Nonthaburi into the CBD?

Your post is also ironic in that the issue is air pollution. Who wants to bike in 32-38c weather with pollution levels 160++?

But please go set the example.

The post is in answer to the situation of those with large expensive red plate cars who, even if Bangkok became a city with clean air and no traffic problems, would never consider using a bicycle as no-one would know how important they are or think they are. Lose face riding a bike??? No way.

36 minutes ago, overherebc said:

how important they are or think they are. Lose face riding a bike??? No way.

Bike nuts. Almost as bad as vegans.

Yes, there would be an element of face but you've entirely missed the point that the driver's simply do not want to, weather is ghastly, pollution is dreadful, are not dressed for it (no adequate shower, dressing areas in office).

It's entirely impractical to even think middle aged people are going to bike huge distances to work in 38c heat

Total non solution. Bad idea. Proof is that no one is doing it nor ever will.

Most bike nuts wouldn't bike in the heat and pollution either.

Edited by Number 6

Replace the buses, get the old trucks off the roads, require anyone cooking anything to use gas.

All cars sold in radius of BKK to be hybrid or ngv.

Offer free ngv conversions.

So easy but nothing will be done. Can spray water from rooftops.

Even odd plate days would be best but everyone knows that all the government officials will get VIP emblems and it won't be enforced anyway.