File A Complaint About The Air.....i Did

ZEAK

Errr.. the levels are back to normal. If you would have complained 2 weeks ago then I could understand..

Really. On who's standards? Yours?

The regional area air quality data says different.

http://www.pcd.go.th/AirQuality/Regional/Default.cfm

102 as if yesterda for PM-10

PM-10 : particulate matter (dust) <10 microns

And 89 on the air quality index. Still, one of the highest in Thailand. It may be within "safe" levels, but it sure is not good clean air.

If you dont care then dont complain. Your choice. Same as voting. If one chooses not to vote then they give up their right to complain, IMO.

And "normally", the air is terrible in CM this time of year. 2 weeks ago I was not there, nor am I now. Reasons stated above.

Cheers

According to their website,

Experiencing a pollution problem? Smelly factory next door? Somebody dumping garbage where they shouldn't? Someone fouling a waterway? If you'll supply us with a few details, we'll look into this problem. ................

It seems like they are talking about anything factory size or smaller. Complaining about the entire city will probably get ignored.

It's like turning on all the fountians in Chiang Mai in hopes it will clear the air. It's not gonna happen.

I love Chiang Mai, hate the air pollution. I filed a complaint and hope everyone else does the same. It took less that 2 mins. Let them know what we think!

Click the link http://www.pcd.go.th/info_serv/Hotline/default.cfm

I did.

I filed a complaint about the fact that it was too hot and they should cool off Thailand. I also complained that it hasn't rained enough. Thank goodness there is a place where we can finally get something done about these problems!

But no worries. With the extra time spent for Songkran this year, if people will just throw their water up in the air high enough, that will certainly clear the air all over Thailand. Except for the areas where the folks are too old to throw it up high enough, of course.

On the positive side, I think this air pollution is just an April Fools Day joke and will all end by tomorrow.

The Fly Fisherman

Experiencing a pollution problem? Smelly factory next door? Somebody dumping garbage where they shouldn't? Someone fouling a waterway? If you'll supply us with a few details, we'll look into this problem. ................

It seems like they are talking about anything factory size or smaller. Complaining about the entire city will probably get ignored.

It's like turning on all the fountians in Chiang Mai in hopes it will clear the air. It's not gonna happen.

I don't get it. First, everyone's ranting and raving about the bad pollution. On Thaivisa.

Then an official channel for complaints is discovered, and now we are shy all of a sudden? Use it, that's what it's there for! Jeez.

Thanks for the link, much appreciated!

Edited by nikster

"I don't get it. First, everyone's ranting and raving about the bad pollution. On Thaivisa. Then an official channel for complaints is discovered, and now we are shy all of a sudden? Use it, that's what it's there for! Jeez."

Agree totally. Look, we could be pessimistic about the point of complaining at the given site, but we might as well try. It is a possible chance to be heard- or not. But to be resigned about it is no way to handle things either. I tolerate the pollution as much as the next guy, and even find it laughable how bad it is. But hopefully enough uproar continues, it reaches the press, stays in the headlines, and they start making it part of the education to be more conscious of their environment in their schools. Some day a new generation will be horrified by the thought of everyone burning garbage or lighting fires to clear land. And they will not do so. In the US we had an owl mascot telling us to 'Give a hoot, don't pollute." Silly as it seems, there is a marked difference between my generation and the one before it. Pressure put on by citizens resulted in some education that had an impact on the future. It can happen. Outright pessimism....no chance for a better day, best consoled with drink.

Could everybody start raving about how great the air quality is now in Chiang Mai?

I just bought a bunch of great stock and sent it up there that I would like to sell! :o

Tell me more UG

I sent a big load of books up a few days ago - lots of popular titles and some really nice non-fiction. It should be on the shelves soon, plus I will be sending another load up in a few days.

By the way, I'm waiting for a giant load of primo non-fiction to arrive from England - history, philosophy, popular science, Buddhism, psychology, etc. . Shouldn't be too much longer. :D

I really dont know if anything will be done, or even if the complaints get read. But doing anything is better than complaining about it and doing nothing. To me having to wear a rated particle mask is not funny, nor is respiratory illness.

I laugh about how they were spraying water into the air in an attempt to make it rain/ clean the air, or what ever the hel_l they were trying to do. But that was that, and this pollution site is something else, so why not give it a shot. Like I said, it took me 2 mins, name and phone number and a few comments on my thoughts about the problem and I was done. And even if nothing ever comes of it, I feel better for expressing my concerns to a governing body.

Edited by ZEAK

> Really. On who's standards? Yours?

No, the same site that you quoted.

> The regional area air quality data says different.

No it doesn't. You can download records for years back. If you look at the numbers then you will see it's no higher than usual for the time of year.

Also subjectively, not only can we now see the mountain again, we can see trees on it, and see the temple. That for me is when I start calling it 'pretty good for the time of year'.

> And "normally", the air is terrible in CM this time of year.

Yes, of course. See, we DO agree! :o (I just felt that with the link to that site being out on this forum since 3 weeks ago at least, if anyone was going to complain it should have been when things were genuinely grim.

I'm not saying don't complain about pollution. The website sets parameters for the complaints. It wants you to complain about people or companies causing the polution. It doesn't want you to tell them something they already know.

So you send them an email that says the city of Chiang Mai has too much pollution in the air. They look at the email and say "Duh!" From that they assume that all farangs must be stupid. Why do they tell us something we already know? They look at each other shaking their heads negatively and press the delete button on their computer.

Let me explain what they are looking for. If you see someone dumpling liquids from barrels into a stream, if your neighbor burns spare tires on a regular basis, or maybe you notice the local store dumping trash in the forest nearby.

They are looking for a name or address they can connect to the pollution. Not your opinion about the air quality. Unless you can associate the Chiang Mai air quality to a name or address then they probably don't care about your opinion.

You might as well complain to the Ministry of Education because they won't do anything about your complaint either.

If you don't give them what they ask for, then they don't care what you think. It's very similiar to the visa process. If you don't give them the right paperwork, then you don't get your visa.

> Really. On who's standards? Yours?

No, the same site that you quoted.

> The regional area air quality data says different.

No it doesn't. You can download records for years back. If you look at the numbers then you will see it's no higher than usual for the time of year.

Also subjectively, not only can we now see the mountain again, we can see trees on it, and see the temple. That for me is when I start calling it 'pretty good for the time of year'.

> And "normally", the air is terrible in CM this time of year.

Yes, of course. See, we DO agree! :o (I just felt that with the link to that site being out on this forum since 3 weeks ago at least, if anyone was going to complain it should have been when things were genuinely grim.

No higher than usual for this time of year? CM is just getting over being declared a disaster area because of the haze this year. It was bad, no. Is it getting better, dont know, Im not there, but I hope so.

And if I did look at the numbers, I would see that this time of year has terrible air. This is the norm. But does that mean that I am not able to want to improve the air for this time of the year?

Chiang Mai has terrible air at the best of times, so I think wanting to complain about the air should not only be limited to certain times. Look at all the song taos and tuk tuks and lorries blowing smoke. Do you like that? Do you not realize that you are breathing those fumes in?

I never claimed that I was the first one to post the link to the site. And I really dont know why you would bring that up as all I wanted to do was to let people know that there is an avenue to voice concerns.

Edited by ZEAK

I'm not saying don't complain about pollution. The website sets parameters for the complaints. It wants you to complain about people or companies causing the polution. It doesn't want you to tell them something they already know.

So you send them an email that says the city of Chiang Mai has too much pollution in the air. They look at the email and say "Duh!" From that they assume that all farangs must be stupid. Why do they tell us something we already know? They look at each other shaking their heads negatively and press the delete button on their computer.

Let me explain what they are looking for. If you see someone dumpling liquids from barrels into a stream, if your neighbor burns spare tires on a regular basis, or maybe you notice the local store dumping trash in the forest nearby.

They are looking for a name or address they can connect to the pollution. Not your opinion about the air quality. Unless you can associate the Chiang Mai air quality to a name or address then they probably don't care about your opinion.

You might as well complain to the Ministry of Education because they won't do anything about your complaint either.

If you don't give them what they ask for, then they don't care what you think. It's very similiar to the visa process. If you don't give them the right paperwork, then you don't get your visa.

The very first paragraph says:

Experiencing a pollution problem? Smelly factory next door? Somebody dumping garbage where they shouldn't? Someone fouling a waterway? If you'll supply us with a few details, we'll look into this problem. ..

I do not see where is sets the "parameters" for the complaints. Nor does it say do not tell us about problems that we already know about. Cmon man, kid noy.

So I send them a formal complaint, not and email. This is their service, dont forget that, and I voice my opinion on what I feel is pollution. And? Now they know that I have an issue with something. I will not say as you did that they then assume all farungs are stupid. How do I know what anyone assumes? And if they delete the complaint I cannot tell you, as I do not work with them. Do you?

You seem like you do, as you ASSUME that you know what they are looking for in regards to complaints.

Its a pollution hotline, with more than one place to give suggestions, if you would have actually filled a complaint you would have seen this. It DOES NOT STIPULATE that the polluters contact details be provided, sure, hand em over if you got them, but if not you can still file a complaint.

You make many broad accusations, assuming that you know what they care about and what they dont, and who are you too say that nothing will be done? Really man, your a bit of a downer.

Sorry, I do see where it sets the paramaters.

Experiencing a pollution problem? Smelly factory next door? Somebody dumping garbage where they shouldn't? Someone fouling a waterway? If you'll supply us with a few details, we'll look into this problem. If you prefer, we also have three ways to complaint;

http://www.pcd.go.th/info_serv/Hotline/default.cfm

So, thats what I did, I gave them a few details about what I feel is a pollution problem. Really am amazed that people are getting bent out of shape about this, instead of using the hotline.

Errr.. the levels are back to normal. If you would have complained 2 weeks ago then I could understand..

You mean that an AQI (Air Quality Index) number of 99 is normal? This is todays Air Quality (polution) in Chiang Mai.

If you mean that extreme polution in normal, then yes, it is normal.

Todays AQI number for Phuket is 23, which is the highest in 11 days. Yesterday Phuket had a AQI of 13.

On the 31-Aug-06 Chiang Mai had a AQI of 14, so it seems possible, with maybe the help of a big rainshower.

It seems that everything below the critical level of 120 is accepted as normal.

Do you really want to accept breathing this kind of air every day?

Todays AQI can be found at:

http://www.pcd.go.th/AirQuality/Regional/Q...fm?task=default

No higher than usual for this time of year? CM is just getting over being declared a disaster area because of the haze this year. It was bad, no. Is it getting better, dont know, Im not there, but I hope so.

"RIGHT NOW" (=today, and the last couple of days) it's pretty normal for the time of year, if not slightly better. I'm well aware of the disaster 2 weeks ago. I even put a page up on it: www.nachang.com/dryseason (Will update that page today with a picture of current conditions)

> And if I did look at the numbers, I would see that this time of year has terrible

> air. This is the norm. But does that mean that I am not able to want to

> improve the air for this time of the year?

Of course not. In fact I submitted a complaint too, 3 weeks ago. I think you're not completely getting the point I was making, which was a minor point anyway; feel free to just disregard it.

> Chiang Mai has terrible air at the best of times,

Now you're getting silly. The records are all there, show us.

> Look at all the song taos and tuk tuks and lorries blowing smoke. Do

> you like that? Do you not realize that you are breathing those fumes in?

I'd tell you to move to Laos, where there's far less motorized traffic, but you'd find the same crap air this time of year.

Edited by chanchao

You mean that an AQI (Air Quality Index) number of 99 is normal? This is todays Air Quality (polution) in Chiang Mai.

If you mean that extreme polution in normal, then yes, it is normal.

Todays AQI number for Phuket is 23, which is the highest in 11 days. Yesterday Phuket had a AQI of 13.

Yes, and Chonburi, which is on the sea, is exactly the same as Chiang Mai. Ayudthaya, Saraburi and Pathum Thani are worse than Chiang Mai.

Phuket (and the rest of the South) experiences different weather patters from the rest of the country. That's why the rainy season is shifted (it gets a different monsoon) and why it doesn't have a 'true' dry season to speak of. This results in better air quality.

> Do you really want to accept breathing this kind of air every day?

Fortunately I don't have to. There's less than a month of hazy air per year, and most years aren't as bad as this year.

"RIGHT NOW" (=today, and the last couple of days) it's pretty normal for the time of year, if not slightly better. I'm well aware of the disaster 2 weeks ago. I even put a page up on it: www.nachang.com/dryseason (Will update that page today with a picture of current conditions)

> And if I did look at the numbers, I would see that this time of year has terrible

> air. This is the norm. But does that mean that I am not able to want to

> improve the air for this time of the year?

Of course not. In fact I submitted a complaint too, 3 weeks ago. I think you're not completely getting the point I was making, which was a minor point anyway; feel free to just disregard it.

> Chiang Mai has terrible air at the best of times,

Now you're getting silly. The records are all there, show us.

> Look at all the song taos and tuk tuks and lorries blowing smoke. Do

> you like that? Do you not realize that you are breathing those fumes in?

I'd tell you to move to Laos, where there's far less motorized traffic, but you'd find the same crap air this time of year.

IMO, Chiang Mai DOES have terrible air. If you ever ride a bike in the city traffic than you would know what I mean. I see farungs that wear masks all year when riding in traffic. What about our boys it brown? They wear mask 24/7 as well.

Im not getting "silly". When I see black smoke spewing out of trucks I consider that pollution that directly affects the air. Record levels or not, it should be stopped. Also, you mentioned "normal" as per the site. Well 120 is cosidered the ceiling high level, anything above that is a lot more serious. So just because levels are at 109, and are below the "safe" levels, does not mean there is no air problem in CM.

Your attitude is very "mai bpen lai" (ish) about the air. So your website confuses me, why put effort into something just to turn around and say all is well. Were you just showing the contrast between seasons?

You say on your site;

"Another factor is that without a nice monsoon to move the air, all the pollution keeps hanging around"

So why not try and reduce the pollution in CM, instead of waiting for the rain to wash it all away? Its like sweeping dirt under the rug as far as I am concerened.

For me, I am only going to spend half the year in CM, and then hit the sea for the dry/burning/cancer season. Unless, things improve. Which I really hope they do.

Cheers

Drove to Lampang and back late last night; fires all along the side as soon as hit the hills - Thai mate was saying the locals get paid 'danger money' for supervising.

Great farming tradition anyway, burn and move on. Just that people no longer move on, just around and around in their SUV's.

> Great farming tradition anyway, burn and move on

It's by and large NOT 'burn and move on', it's 'burn and re-plant'. The word "slash & burn farming" is I think used incorrectly, OR people just mean different things by it. It's not like they slash & burn pristine rainforest, sow a crop and then move on. Burning is one of the ways to clear what's left of a crop, then do another (or a different) crop. The effects to the air are indeed the same though and wholesale burning of fields needs to be stopped. Aside from that there's also forest fires of course.

Zeak wrote:

> Your attitude is very "mai bpen lai" (ish) about the air. So your website

> confuses me, why put effort into something just to turn around and say

> all is well. Were you just showing the contrast between seasons?

Initially it was indeed intended like that, for people who are terrified about the idea of holidaying in Thailand in the rainy season, but think the 'hot & dry season' would be just excellent. So both to highlight the merits of the non-dry season, and to show why I don't like the hot & dry season. (See the intial page at http://nachang.com/dryseason ) But as the situation got worse and worse I added the day-to-day comparison page, to put the story into comparable pictures. Newspapers just run a story, select the pictures that looks THE very worst and then don't get back to the story. Like with the flooding, for months after people will be wary of visiting Chiang Mai. So rather than just show the very worst (though there's some of that), I wanted to put consistent pictures to the PCD pollution values, so people can see 'what it's like'.

It *IS* a problem every year, just the amount of pullution varies year to year and indeed also day to day. It is why I would not recommend anyone to visit Chiang Mai in March and part of April.

> So why not try and reduce the pollution in CM, instead of waiting for the rain to wash it

> all away? Its like sweeping dirt under the rug as far as I am concerened.

True. And I totally agree on finding ways to reduce the pollution. Get a copy of the latest Chiang Mai CityLife (or check their site), it has what I think a VERY good story about the problem, and indeed also addresses everyday 'non-visible' pollution from cars, etc. It won't be a quick fix though, with the problem being so spread out across 3-4 countries.

> For me, I am only going to spend half the year in CM, and then hit the sea for

> the dry/burning/cancer season.

Yes I think that's a very good thing to do. I would too, if I could.

Cheers,

Chanchao

> Great farming tradition anyway, burn and move on

It's by and large NOT 'burn and move on', it's 'burn and re-plant'. The word "slash & burn farming" is I think used incorrectly, OR people just mean different things by it. It's not like they slash & burn pristine rainforest, sow a crop and then move on. Burning is one of the ways to clear what's left of a crop, then do another (or a different) crop. The effects to the air are indeed the same though and wholesale burning of fields needs to be stopped. Aside from that there's also forest fires of course.

Having watched them at it up in the hills. They often start with a patch of fairly pristine rainforest and cut down all the trees. Those are carted off for use or sale. The undergrowth is then slashed back to kill it and let it dry out. They then burn it and plant their first year's crop.

This land is invariably extremely poor and will be of no use to agriculture after two or three seasons, unless they use huge amounts of chemical fertilizer. (Most of the topsoil there will have been washed away, without the protection afforded by the tree cover.) So, after exhausting the land, they leave it to return to something resembling a forest, while they look for a new patch to strip, slash and burn.

Experiencing a pollution problem? Smelly factory next door? Somebody dumping garbage where they shouldn't? Someone fouling a waterway? If you'll supply us with a few details, we'll look into this problem. ..

I do not see where is sets the "parameters" for the complaints. Nor does it say do not tell us about problems that we already know about. Cmon man, kid noy.

So I send them a formal complaint, not and email. This is their service, dont forget that, and I voice my opinion on what I feel is pollution. And? Now they know that I have an issue with something. I will not say as you did that they then assume all farungs are stupid. How do I know what anyone assumes? And if they delete the complaint I cannot tell you, as I do not work with them. Do you?

You seem like you do, as you ASSUME that you know what they are looking for in regards to complaints.

Its a pollution hotline, with more than one place to give suggestions, if you would have actually filled a complaint you would have seen this. It DOES NOT STIPULATE that the polluters contact details be provided, sure, hand em over if you got them, but if not you can still file a complaint.

You make many broad accusations, assuming that you know what they care about and what they dont, and who are you too say that nothing will be done? Really man, your a bit of a downer.

I can just see the Thai government jumping all over your complaint.

"Red Alert, Red Alert!!!" "Call the Prime Minister, alert the media, get the monks in here now!" "Let's ask for help from the United Nations".

Jet fighters start to scramble on the runway. The army mobilizes in Bangkok. Even the Muslims in the south of Thailand lay down their arms and head for their temples to pray for a solution to the haze.

The USA and the UK send relief teams with mask and water sprinkles while offering millions of dollars to help with the rescue of Chiang Mai. China and Russia also send aid. China sends masks copied from the masks being handed out by the Americans and Russia controls the flow of aid with their strong armed mafia groups.

Then they all look at each other and say, "Why are we here?" Then someoen says, "Someone named Zeak complained about air quality in Chiang Mai." They all look at each other, shrug their shoulders, shake their heads and say, "Lets go get a beer".

Here's a newsflash for you that you might not know. The Thai government, the citizens in Chiang Mai, and every foreigner living here in Chiang Mai already know about the air pollution. Even CNN and the BBC have done stories on the issue.

So what do you think they are going to do when they get your complaint? They will do nothing. You say "get real" to me, you should get real. Stop thinking you can save the world by complaining about something everyone else has already complained about.

Now if you have some legitimate complaints against companies or individuals, then I think they will be glad to listen.

I can just see the Thai government jumping all over your complaint.

"Red Alert, Red Alert!!!" "Call the Prime Minister, alert the media, get the monks in here now!" "Let's ask for help from the United Nations".

Jet fighters start to scramble on the runway. The army mobilizes in Bangkok. Even the Muslims in the south of Thailand lay down their arms and head for their temples to pray for a solution to the haze.

The USA and the UK send relief teams with mask and water sprinkles while offering millions of dollars to help with the rescue of Chiang Mai. China and Russia also send aid. China sends masks copied from the masks being handed out by the Americans and Russia controls the flow of aid with their strong armed mafia groups.

Then they all look at each other and say, "Why are we here?" Then someoen says, "Someone named Zeak complained about air quality in Chiang Mai." They all look at each other, shrug their shoulders, shake their heads and say, "Lets go get a beer".

Here's a newsflash for you that you might not know. The Thai government, the citizens in Chiang Mai, and every foreigner living here in Chiang Mai already know about the air pollution. Even CNN and the BBC have done stories on the issue.

So what do you think they are going to do when they get your complaint? They will do nothing. You say "get real" to me, you should get real. Stop thinking you can save the world by complaining about something everyone else has already complained about.

Now if you have some legitimate complaints against companies or individuals, then I think they will be glad to listen.

"So what do you think they are going to do when they get your complaint?"

Refer to previous posts. And try to lighten up a bit, you seem a bit wound up.

:o

I'm not the one filling out the complaint form, you are. :D

Im not "filling out the complaint form". I did fill one out. And once again, dont know why you are bent out of shape for me having submitted a complaint on their hotline. And I am not the one that went off on a tangent with a stick beating a dead horse with your last "story" post. Simmer down man. You make some wild assumptions. Now are you going to reply to me by saying, I am simmered down, you simmer down?

:o