Is it possible to change an appointment with immigration?

January 3rd is the appointment to extend my visa for one year (Non Immigrant O - married with thai wife) at the immigration office Jomtien.

Unfortunately my wife and I would like to travel to Uthai Thani at the end of this year to celebrate with her family. We want to return on Sunday, January 5th.

What do you think: Would the responsible immigration officer in Pattaya accept it if we would come already on December 25th or 26th because of the extension of the annual visa or would she send us back home?

Has anyone ever done something like this and "independently moved an appointment for visa extension forward"?

Edited by zenobit

25 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't recall any immigration office requiring appointments to do a application.

You can do your extension application up to 30 days early.

I always thought the date on the stamp — in my case: "Extension of stay permitted up to 03. Jan 2020" — would also be the binding date on which you have to appear at immigration office for the next extension.

But the better if it isn't. ????

Thank you for the very helpful answer. ????

Edited by zenobit
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, zenobit said:

I always thought the date on the stamp — in my case: "Extension of stay permitted up to 03. Jan 2020" — would also be the binding date on which you have to appear at immigration office for the next extension.

That is only the last day you can do it.

You could do it tomorrow if you wanted to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zenobit said:

No, if anything it would be advisable to do it before that! Imagine, you have a vehicular accident on the way, can't make it, and you are on overstay! Up to 30 days before at Jomtiem. Also Jan 3rd is a Friday and only the second day after a long break for immigration, likely to be busy. 

• Thanks 1

for ubon joe,

I was told about 5 years ago at C/M immigration that I could do the extension 45 days prior to the expiration date and that is what I have done successfully...the last 2 years I did it 42 days early with not complaints from the IO.  Is there an officil police notice about that 30-day timeframe as you always seem to have the correct information concerning any visa or extension issues.  BTW my thanks for your sharing all the info with us!!  Merry Christmas

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't recall any immigration office requiring appointments to do a application.

You can do your extension application up to 30 days early.

In Tha Yang (Petchaburi) they required booking of appointment when we went there to change from Retirement to Marriage extension. Had to wait 3 weeks for next available appointment. For Re-ext no booking required. They also requested two witnesses living close to us to be with us on that appointment. 10 days after the appointment the officer who took care of our application came to our home (condo I own). Photos of him, my wife and me together were taken. All done in friendly way. New to me was that yellow book not enough - also needed copies of chanote.

1 hour ago, Presnock said:

Is there an officil police notice about that 30-day timeframe as you always seem to have the correct information concerning any visa or extension issues. 

I wrote 30 days since that is the most common policy at many immigration offices. Some do allow 45 days.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Presnock said:

for ubon joe,

I was told about 5 years ago at C/M immigration that I could do the extension 45 days prior to the expiration date and that is what I have done successfully...the last 2 years I did it 42 days early with not complaints from the IO.  Is there an officil police notice about that 30-day timeframe as you always seem to have the correct information concerning any visa or extension issues.  BTW my thanks for your sharing all the info with us!!  Merry Christmas

The requirements will depend on the particular Immigration Office, I do not believe there is any formal rule as to how early you can apply for an extension of stay.  So each Office makes their own policy.

Several years ago, Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration would do it up to 60 days in advance.  But, they changed that policy and it is now 30 days, although they may do it earlier if you show you will be departing Thailand in advance of the 30 days and cannot be here to do the extension before it expires - but that is strictly up to the Immigration Officer to allow.

On 12/22/2019 at 12:56 PM, zenobit said:

You should not wait until your extension is about to expire. If you need more documents because of new rules or because of the immigration officer then you might have a problem. 

• Like 1