purchase gold jewellery online

notrub

I just ordered a necklace from 'Goldshop_Mall' on the Lazada web site.  They are selling jewellery made from 'scrap gold' and claim that this item is 18K solid gold.  As in - GOLDSHOP Necklace Gold Necklace Gold Necklace Real Gold from Scrap Gold Chinatown 96.5% Real Gold Jewelry . 

I paid 1,340 THB for a chain 24" long.  (see below)

Here are a few questions.  Has anybody had any experience with this seller?  What is scrap gold please?  Any comments regarding whether this is a realistic purchase?  It seems pretty inexpensive to me. I saw that I can test it with nitric acid but have never tried this.  I can send it back as usual with Lazada purchases.  Any comments please?    Thanks in advance.  

While we are at it.  Can anybody suggest a reputable gold jewellery seller offering 18K gold items?  Thanks very much.

Happy Season's Greetings - BTW.

Screenshot (103).png

18k gold is only 75% gold and hardly solid gold (considered junk in Thailand) and gold is sold by baht weight not by length of a chain and do not see that 18k mentioned.  That advertisement says about 23k gold (which is normal here) but as said has no meaning without a weight of actual gold - they only say the chain is 3 baht (worth more than 60,000 baht if solid gold).  It appears this is not solid gold but has flakes (scraps) of real gold in it - other material not mentioned other than not itchy. 

Gold Price Thailand on 20 December 2019.
Purchase: 21,050 THB
Sale: 21,150 THB

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, notrub said:

Here is where 18K is stated on a different screen

Screenshot (105).png

Yes they are using that as a "brand" name.  I sincerely hope that this was purchased as a doll house type gift and not in the expectation that it was really gold.  

2 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Does anybody know whether anybody in Thailand buy back 99% real gold? 

It seems that most shops are only interested in 96.5% gold.

96.5% is what they call pure gold here and if bought from a gold shop that shop and others will normally buy back.  There is not much real market for 18k or 99% gold here (other than some tourists).

One of the nice things of Thailand is that physical Gold is something like a second "currency", as long as it is Thai-Gold. With a very narrow Bid/Ask spread.

Plenty of Gold-Shops that have been in business for 50 years. WHY WOULD ANYONE BUY GOLD FROM AN ONLINE SHOP? Not knowing anything about them, except for their pleasantly designed Homepage?

PS: I currently offer the London-Bridge for sale. Recent findings have shown that the foundations are made of 24 Karat Gold. Any takers?

• Like 1