DeeMoney OTP Strikes Again

I signed up for DeeMoney a while and never used it. I went through the process and ran into a stumbling block.  I wanted to use DeeMoney when I leave Thailand in order to empty my Bangkok Bank account.  After checking with support, it can be done but only after receiving an OTP.  Since I will no longer be in Thailand and will no longer have a Thai phone number (which would have to be with roaming on) I will not be able to receive OTPs.  I have an AIS package with post paid phone that will gets canceled when I leave.

Also, keep in mind that if wanting to transfer your funds to the US/UK/NZ DeeMoney can no longer do that as of around June this year....they keep saying that they hope to have the capability again to these countries sometime in 2020.

45 minutes ago, david555 said:

Why not simple take a prepaid one ? And set roaming on ? Besides your Thai  bank card works in Europe too !

Philippines in my case,  Unfortunately, last time I was there I forgot to try it.  I have heard people say there is no problem and other people say there is.  I am looking for a backup plan.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

So, empty your bank acct before leaving to ensure you can empty it....no shortage of Murphy Laws that can pop-up.  Use of OTP for many financial purposes/transfers is now common place by many financial entities.

I am in the process of drawing down my account but I need to keep a few thousands for bills and my security deposit will be placed there.  So in the end I will have maybe 50K in the bank.

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

Change your otp phone number to a person you trust here - if possible (I know, I use family). Communicate with email or face time, activate the transaction and when received pass it on for entering abroad. I have transacted this way for a while.

There are problems with that.  I would have to coordinate with the trusted one before I could initiate the transfer and most OTPs have a time limit of seconds which would make the interaction difficult.

5 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Why not simple take a prepaid one ? And set roaming on ?

I thought about that but the problem would be that I won't need to use it for at least a month.  I guess that I could buy one of those ฿250 baht  phones and just leave it off. 

I have never had prepaid before.  When I load it and turn on roaming, will the load have a time limit?  All I would use it for is for SMS.

3 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

There are problems with that.  I would have to coordinate with the trusted one before I could initiate the transfer and most OTPs have a time limit of seconds which would make the interaction difficult.

I've been able to complete transactions within a few minutes and that has satisfied the clock (at least with my bank in Canada) for I haven't timed out yet.. 

8 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Philippines in my case,  Unfortunately, last time I was there I forgot to try it.  I have heard people say there is no problem and other people say there is.  I am looking for a backup plan.

15000 usd. in any currency you can take out Thailand cash whiteout declaring , more need " normally" declaring it , Thai baht bills normally only 50000 ….strange they like to keep them in country , but neighboring country more higher ,but not for us foreigners 

BTW  Philippines' is not such a far and expensive flight as to Europe ,depending sum a few hops over and back 

4 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

I thought about that but the problem would be that I won't need to use it for at least a month.  I guess that I could buy one of those ฿250 baht  phones and just leave it off. 

I have never had prepaid before.  When I load it and turn on roaming, will the load have a time limit?  All I would use it for is for SMS.

a prepaid can be loaded each  x time with 20 baht for  1 month call but 2 months keep alive as only receive one ,so load X times 20 baht to get  1 year or whatever , even I load my AIS prepaid with 1 time 100 baht for a year , but that is a card from 12 years back  a mao mao one ,  if I would change other pay  option I loose that privilege's 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, david555 said:

a prepaid can be loaded each  x time with 20 baht for  1 month call but 2 months keep alive as only receive one ,so load X times 20 baht to get  1 year or whatever , even I load my AIS prepaid with 1 time 100 baht for a year , but that is a card from 12 years back  a mao mao one ,  if I would change other pay  option I loose that privilege's 

And your SIM supports international roaming?  And the load can be done overseas?  The only ones that I saw were expensive SIMs that were only good for about 15 days and cost like ฿499.

8 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

And your SIM supports international roaming?  And the load can be done overseas?  The only ones that I saw were expensive SIMs that were only good for about 15 days and cost like ฿499.

we talking about telephone sim cards , some even i got for free by Tesco lotus , they are all registered, international roaming for receiving calls or sms you must set on in menu AIS " *125*1#  Turn on International Roaming " I load online by Kasikorn app all the cards I have , and normally you should be able to load online by your bank app 

I think you talk about data cards with internet time on ….

Edited by david555

3 hours ago, david555 said:

Why not simple take a prepaid one ? And set roaming on ? Besides your Thai  bank card works in Europe too !

@AAArdvark

I would recommend AIS 12call sim.   Change it to the Second Base plan (no monthly fee).   top up 10-20 baht increments until you max out 1 year validity.  You should be good to go at this point.

Change your banks / deemoney over to the new phone #.  I would recommend you perform at least 1 transaction that would require OTP from each bank/service you'll need to ensure it all works ok before you go.

And of course when you travel outside Thailand, you can repeat this OTP test.

The roaming will automatically kick in when you travel outside Thailand.  If you have dual sim phone, just have it in one of the slots and you will continue to receive incoming SMS for free.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

@AAArdvark

I would recommend AIS 12call sim.   Change it to the Second Base plan (no monthly fee).   top up 10-20 baht increments until you max out 1 year validity.  You should be good to go at this point.

Change your banks / deemoney over to the new phone #.  I would recommend you perform at least 1 transaction that would require OTP from each bank/service you'll need to ensure it all works ok before you go.

And of course when you travel outside Thailand, you can repeat this OTP test.

The roaming will automatically kick in when you travel outside Thailand.  If you have dual sim phone, just have it in one of the slots and you will continue to receive incoming SMS for free.  

Thanks.  However, I won't be able to do the trial because I won't have the other bank account set up until I get there.  Unfortunately, I don't yet have a dual SIM phone and I won't be traveling in and out of Thailand, only out.

I have an expensive single sim phone but I was thinking of getting a last years top of the line phone, like a Galazy S9+, except most of those appear to be fakes.  

I can confirm as others have said, just activate international roaming on your AIS sim and if you have a pre-paid sim just top up the number every month or so from your Thai bank with the minimum to keep it alive and there goes your otp !

You'll have to change your sim before receiving the otp code each time obviously.

You can also use the AIS mobile app to manage international roaming on your sim.

Thats what I am doing anyway and it works like a charm!

3 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

Thanks.  However, I won't be able to do the trial because I won't have the other bank account set up until I get there.

Expect you will be living with foreign bank cards/ATM for months in Philippines as from my understanding they will not set up a bank account until ACR card is issued, which can not be applied for until in country 59 days.  I suspect Western Union type transfers are possible.

4 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

Thanks.  However, I won't be able to do the trial because I won't have the other bank account set up until I get there.  Unfortunately, I don't yet have a dual SIM phone and I won't be traveling in and out of Thailand, only out.

I have an expensive single sim phone but I was thinking of getting a last years top of the line phone, like a Galazy S9+, except most of those appear to be fakes.  

You can get decent android phones with 2 Sims for around 5,000 baht. Try Big C or Jaymart.

Setting sim to roaming is easy, just make sure when setting the data sim on the phone it isn't the Thailand one

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

You can get decent android phones with 2 Sims for around 5,000 baht. Try Big C or Jaymart.

Setting sim to roaming is easy, just make sure when setting the data sim on the phone it isn't the Thailand one

just replaced my Sams.J1 who died with  Samsung Galaxy .A2 core from a Tesco telephone boot shop for 3200 baht included  duo sim screen protector and silicone protector.....

For me no high end expensive phone but anyway a duo sim one , as too much android version updates make some handicapped in use for some needed app's ,my phone is a tool  not a status symbol , must be replacable in a flash whiteout breaking the bank  , also I would not find 490 baht expensive for a sim …. strange having high end expensive phone ….,but 490 baht for sim seems too much ,

we all are different people

Edited by david555
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

Thanks.  However, I won't be able to do the trial because I won't have the other bank account set up until I get there.  ....

The first trial is to make sure OTP works while you are in thailand.   And of course once you are outside Thailand there you can still pay a thai bill or send money to another thai account.  This would trigger OTP in most cases.   You don't even have to complete the transaction, just trigger the OTP.

5 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

Unfortunately, I don't yet have a dual SIM phone and I won't be traveling in and out of Thailand, only out.

Either have a separate dumb phone just for the purpose, or a budget/mid range dual sim is fine.

The Galaxy m30s might surprise you.   LazMall vendor is your best bet, even if you want the flagship models.  It will be genuine if you buy from LazMall (online) or a shop like BananaIt, Tesco Lotus, Big C, JayMart, PowerMall, Samsung shop, Telewiz/Dtac/TrueShop/etc.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Expect you will be living with foreign bank cards/ATM for months in Philippines as from my understanding they will not set up a bank account until ACR card is issued, which can not be applied for until in country 59 days.  I suspect Western Union type transfers are possible.

I will be getting a SRRV visa and the people at the Philippine Retirement Authority insist that they can get me a bank account almost immediately although it might be only a USD account.  I specifically asked if the account would be just for the deposit money required for the visa or could I also get a personal account and the answer was "yes".  59 days is normally when the ACR is applied for but no one seems to know if it is possible to apply earlier.

I was pretty much done with getting a Bangkok Bank Western Union account but then I ran into two "minor" issues.  One they also require an OTP and two when I phone them they said their WU is a one way street, receiving only!

20 minutes ago, 4evermaat said:

The first trial is to make sure OTP works while you are in Thailand.

Understood, but my banks are in the US where they currently cannot transfer to and my Philippine account is not until I move there.

23 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

59 days is normally when the ACR is applied for but no one seems to know if it is possible to apply earlier.

Don't believe so and it is often much longer before the actual card is issued so be sure to have financial means available for an extended period.  If you have banking in USA should not be an issue as should be able to use debit cards at ATM's to get cash (although even then it may take a few tries).

28 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

I will be getting a SRRV visa and the people at the Philippine Retirement Authority insist that they can get me a bank account almost immediately although it might be only a USD account.

You are going to do this in Manila?  Allow plenty of time as most actions are rather slow in the PI.  Be good if you can provide feedback on forum as suspect there are others interested - perhaps in the Philippine forum area.  Good luck.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pib said:

Well, enjoy the P.I.  I know I sure enjoyed my 5 years there decades ago.  If I wasn't married to a Thai I would seriously consider moving to the P.I.   

Just about the same as me - was at Angeles from 1985-89.

18 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Just about the same as me - was at Angeles from 1985-89.

Late 70s-early 80's for me....Marcos was still in power....marshal law still in effect...Angeles was wild then!!!!!!  Memories....memories.

10 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Now known as Korea town????

Which can be viewed as a plus factor as a lot more good food available - probably still one of the better locations for expats - and with recent introduction of lower priced taxi service one might even be able to avoid those contortionist trikes.  I would give it consideration if locating in the PI unless you like local food and want to be in a country setting.  Sorry off-topic for this thread.