not the same place as was years ago

opalred

it was the land of smiles and politeness/years ago/ it was happy in there life with there motorbike

govt stepped in /you need a car to help Toyota  /making cars here/ little or no deposit  no payments for 12months  then everyone became sad as struggled to do payments need to work more /anger came

road rage/smiles and politeness gone /that was about 11years ago  then greed set in and the tourist and farang were targets/years ago when driving the police would smile and wave you through /now franang

are number one target to get money by police

back to what  happened years ago would have said that packet of medicine not allowed and removed it not take everything legal in box and give you a smile as you leave

On 12/25/2019 at 2:37 PM, worgeordie said:

I get parcels delivered from many countries,and in 30 years 

have never lost one,never get them sent by couriers,as thats

a sure way to get them checked,and then have to pay taxes

on them,

Pretty much the same for me, I have lost one parcel, received literally hundreds more with no issues, the one parcel I lost cost was refunded by Ebay.

2 hours ago, opalred said:

it was the land of smiles and politeness/years ago

sorry, but that just has not changed for me - plenty of smiles... if you scowl as much in your life as you do in your posting, it wouldn't surprise me that you don't get many smiles... seems you want to be angry... and as you know, anger isn't cool here and Thai can sense it a mile away... try and relax and enjoy... every place changes some... 

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 12:09 AM, mauGR1 said:

Sad to hear the story of your Christmas parcel, but you are not the first nor the last.

Many years ago, when asked from a friend what she could send me by mail, i just told her to send nothing.

Did it arrive okay?  ????

5 hours ago, kenk24 said:

... and as you know, anger isn't cool here and Thai can sense it a mile away...

You're sure right on this point. I was pi**ed at a former gf one time. Everybody we encountered that day knew it. I'm not of the impression that she told them all but they seemed to figure it out on their own.

But since I don't understand Thai language, what would I know!

54 minutes ago, neeray said:

You're sure right on this point. I was pi**ed at a former gf one time. Everybody we encountered that day knew it. I'm not of the impression that she told them all but they seemed to figure it out on their own.

But since I don't understand Thai language, what would I know!

I do speak Thai, but it mostly would be considered impolite to talk of such negative things... but they are quite perceptive in this area and have good radar for picking up and avoiding angry people... they don't like confrontation... I have also had moments where I was extremely sad nad tried to cover it up but some people saw right through me... 

Good job in customs is one of the most sought after positions, for a reason. Years ago we lived in a condo where a bloke known as Mr Big worked at customs at the docks in Bkk on 40k a month. He owned several condos in the block that he rented out and had several high value vehicles, including one of those humvee army things, had a mia noi and frequented expensive gold clubs.

On 12/26/2019 at 6:51 PM, opalred said:

it was the land of smiles and politeness/years ago/ it was happy in there life with there motorbike

govt stepped in /you need a car to help Toyota  /making cars here/ little or no deposit  no payments for 12months  then everyone became sad as struggled to do payments need to work more /anger came

road rage/smiles and politeness gone /that was about 11years ago  then greed set in and the tourist and farang were targets/years ago when driving the police would smile and wave you through /now franang

are number one target to get money by police

back to what  happened years ago would have said that packet of medicine not allowed and removed it not take everything legal in box and give you a smile as you leave

Sorry, and with all due respect I don't find the police to be targeting farang, only that they are more noticeable when stopped at police checks. I drive through two police checks almost every day and rarely get stopped. These roadside checks go on all year around, even during low season when there are few farang visitors on the roads, yet the roadblocks are filled with Thai motorbike riders. Sure, during High Season there are a lot more foreign visitors renting motorbikes, so a lot more visible at the roadblocks. Understandably so. They don't wear helmets, they don't both to get International Driving Permits, etc., and the police know this.

On 12/25/2019 at 12:16 AM, donnacha said:

Sorry to hear you had such a frustrating experience.

It might be worth considering living in a different part of Thailand. Air pollution is now believed to be a contributing factor to osteoarthritis. You might be surprised to find that cleaner air does more to help than pills.

My first trip back in 6 years I was appalled at the air quality

Interesting as we just came back to the USA this week

My wife had a whole bag of different colored medicine pills she brought back with no issues

She also had 2 full suitcases of packaged Thai foods, sauces, you name

I thought for sure we would get busted

However when we arrived home in the USA and opened the suitcases, each one had a form from the TSA that the suitcases had been opened and inspected and passed.

Shipping medicine can cause a customs problem in most any country. I have never had a problem with customs upon entering or in receiving many, many packages from abroad. Otherwise, regarding the Thai postal service I have nothing but praise.

On 12/25/2019 at 12:09 PM, mauGR1 said:

Sad to hear the story of your Christmas parcel, but you are not the first nor the last.

Many years ago, when asked from a friend what she could send me by mail, i just told her to send nothing.

did it  arrive though?

Archived