not the same place as was years ago

opalred

to me the corruption now is worse now than years ago 

my daughter sent me a Xmas present in the mail 

as in past most things never get here as stolen in mail /so she paid for tracking on this parcel

i received a note it was at airport cargo /went to pickup /it was in customs/they open it she put on box what was init

it was a box of things for me and in it she put tablets for my ostio and inbrufen tabs for my joints

they said inbrufen tablets not allowed /and as the tablets were in the box with all the rest of gifts  they took everything away

about 400$ gifts /after 15yrs here its not the same place and people i remember

if i didn't have a nice wife and house here i would be living in Vietnam for sure

thanks los for my xmas present/it sucks

Sorry to hear you had such a frustrating experience.

34 minutes ago, opalred said:

if i didn't have a nice wife and house here i would be living in Vietnam for sure

It might be worth considering living in a different part of Thailand. Air pollution is now believed to be a contributing factor to osteoarthritis. You might be surprised to find that cleaner air does more to help than pills.

Never lost a parcel myself, but sending medicine is always a risk. I have heard about them confiscating stuff if there was just one item there that was illegal. Not nice but that is the way it works. 

Sorry to hear you were affected but I heard stories about this for along time, so its nothing new. Just go through the forum and you will find similar stories.

"not the same place as was years ago"

What did you expect? That Thailand will be all the time exactly like YOU remember it?

Did nobody ever have a problem with a parcel in the past?

It seems you never had a problem until now and now you have a problem with exactly one parcel and that changes your mind about Thailand that it is not the same place like years ago. Yeah, Amazing Thailand. It changes, all the time, like the rest of the world and most people change all the time.

I get parcels delivered from many countries,and in 30 years 

have never lost one,never get them sent by couriers,as thats

a sure way to get them checked,and then have to pay taxes

on them,

I would not say corruption is any worse,it's always there,sometimes

you can even take advantage of it,

If you had been in a Middle Eastern country and imported those 

tablets you would have probably been in jail now.but here you

only lost your stuff.

Of course it's not the same place,just like the country you came

from will be the same if you returned.everything is changing, some

for the better,some not.

Happy Christmas  regards Worgeordie

the ibuprofen here have tried /found as they have no quality control over anything /you may as well buy a candy from 7/11/ it shows the different at airports another a few years ago bought the same products including tomato seeds threw Bangkok airport and the man said to her no problem and waved her through 

i hope Santa reindeer's <deleted>  on there roof  

36 minutes ago, opalred said:

a few years ago bought the same products including tomato seeds threw Bangkok airport and the man said to her no problem and waved her through 

There is a big difference between having it in your luggage and sending it by mail or courier.

Plus there has been a signifiant tightening on the mail/courrier route in recent years.  I and most would not dream of sending $400 worth of goods in one package these days.  

Corruption may be up but for sure foreigners doing ill-advised and outright foolish stuff here is sadly becoming commonplace.

work this out/my wife was talking to a pharmacy owner she knows

and has told her the local tablets are nothing /and they did same to him as he was bringing Vitim c tablets in they took them //?i know why the took everything as they could see a lot of the real chocolate from oz in there/the only ibuprofen that work that the pharmacy gets is from Germany/ but expensive

is some one living in the past as everything is sent by courier/ mail /amazon etc billions $ a day in the world

3 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

Unfortunately many people have abused the mail system -  from not paying duties to drug trafficking.

I've never had a problem with 'naughty items' being posted to me.

I think the trick is not to package it along with a $400 of stuff the customs officers would like to have themselves.

4 minutes ago, opalred said:

britman how do you get a blow up doll throw the airport?

As long as it's legal to take ON the plane, Thai customs have never looked in my baggage coming off. 

They have never required me to go through the scanners on the way out either.

This is with 4 trips a year over the last ten years.

Blow up doll ...... no problems.

Anything with batteries, take 'em out and carry separately.

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've never had a problem with 'naughty items' being posted to me.

I think the trick is not to package it along with a $400 of stuff the customs officers would like to have themselves.

I have a friend who visits once a year for 3-4 months and rents in my building. As he is a health food/nutrition guru (university ed.) he takes a few times daily a  powdered protein/greens pack that he orders in the states. He thought he would just have it mailed here and then avoid carrying it in his luggage - a three months supply. Well, it was flagged and snagged and ended up in the hands of the health authorities who deemed it way above a personal amount. Instead of travelling 3 hours and paying a lot more he decided to just let it go. After he arrived back in Canada (after 3 months) a big package arrived at his house. The Thai's mailed the boxes of protein powder back to his home address in Canada! As he had paid 400-500 dollars for this stuff he was ecstatic. Not saying there's not corruption in Thailand but to say that everyone is involved - pure <deleted>.. 

2 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

He thought he would just have it mailed here and then avoid carrying it in his luggage - a three months supply.

Should have purchased from Iherb.

They sell everything like that, free postage as well.

Very fast delivery to Thailand via HongKong.

It's not the same place it was 10-20 years ago. It's better.

Better supermarket foods available. Better health care available. Better clothing available. Better restaurants. Better roads (although there ARE more cars on them.)  Better Immigration availability than 5 years ago. Better mail service.

So many things are better than they were.  And many are worse. I just ignore those. ????

1 minute ago, FolkGuitar said:

It's not the same place it was 10-20 years ago. It's better.

Better supermarket foods available. Better health care available. Better clothing available. Better restaurants. Better roads (although there ARE more cars on them.)  Better Immigration availability than 5 years ago. Better mail service.

So many things are better than they were.  And many are worse. I just ignore those. ????

You forgot 'better internet'.

I lived in Hong Kong before coming to Chiang Mai, and I could get absolutely anything in the mail without any taxes whatsoever. However, my monthly rent alone in Hong Kong would cover more than 3 months of all of my living expenses here. I figure I'm getting what I pay for, and I'm not complaining. Besides, if it's so awful here, why not take your beautiful wife to the country you came from? It sounds like you'd be happier there—unless of course things aren't quite as rosy there either, and you'd be complaining there too.

Mind you, I should probably take my own advice and just drop out of this forum instead of complaining about all the whining and bellyaching I read here. <<big sigh>>

2 hours ago, opalred said:

the ibuprofen here have tried /found as they have no quality control over anything /you may as well buy a candy from 7/11/ it shows the different at airports another a few years ago bought the same products including tomato seeds threw Bangkok airport and the man said to her no problem and waved her through 

i hope Santa reindeer's <deleted>  on there roof  

I bought some Ibuprofen for a really painful earache in Pattaya a few years back and within an hour the earache was gone and stayed gone. I was pleasantly surprised at how effective it was and in such a short time. Probably better than the same drug we buy in the UK.

I also had sciatica and none of the usual strong meds from the UK was as effective as the Ibuprofen I'd bought, again in Pattaya. OK it did not stop the problem but it was more helpful than the other stuff.

I can't see them selling snide Ibuprofen as the genuine article is very reasonably priced. It'd cost 'em more to produce it than it would to buy the real deal from a pharmacy.

30 minutes ago, mcl2504 said:

I lived in Hong Kong before coming to Chiang Mai, and I could get absolutely anything in the mail without any taxes whatsoever. However, my monthly rent alone in Hong Kong would cover more than 3 months of all of my living expenses here. I figure I'm getting what I pay for, and I'm not complaining. Besides, if it's so awful here, why not take your beautiful wife to the country you came from? It sounds like you'd be happier there—unless of course things aren't quite as rosy there either, and you'd be complaining there too.

Mind you, I should probably take my own advice and just drop out of this forum instead of complaining about all the whining and bellyaching I read here. <<big sigh>>

Good idea.

People don't want to read about how rosy everything is. Why not try doing it.

Archived