Government hospitals - cover for non-Thai.

Saltire

On 12/27/2019 at 12:49 AM, WayWokeWhiteGuy said:

I am surprised more expats do not keep uo their Thai Social Security heath plan after they quit working, it is pretty affordable at B432/month.

True, I'm not sure now but some years back this was not publicized. 

I retired and went to the SS office at Din Daeng to get the refund of contributions, nothing mentioned about continuing the cover (and plenty of staff there speaking English to me).

Later same day the admin. manager at the company learned it was possible to contnue cover, she went with me early next morning to SS to ask if I could continue membership.

Instant answer 'NO, too late, must be continued during the process of refund of contributions, no exceptions'.

22 hours ago, WayWokeWhiteGuy said:

I think the idea that Thailand would make "good money" treating old westerners for 10-20k a year ridiculous. 

Old westerner here,

I use the government hospital to treat my various medical problems, they charge me around 1,200bht/year for 4 scheduled checkups and daily medication. At the start of my problems, I incurred another 3,500bht in fees for four emergency treatments.

They would have made a decent profit if I had been paying 10k or 20k/year.

Medical supplies, drugs and treatment are dirt cheap in Thailand, when they aren't gouging you as a foreigner.

Which is essentially why they can afford to charge the Cambodians/Burmese 2,000bht/year for cover.

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

True, I'm not sure now but some years back this was not publicized. 

I retired and went to the SS office at Din Daeng to get the refund of contributions, nothing mentioned about continuing the cover (and plenty of staff there speaking English to me).

Later same day the admin. manager at the company learned it was possible to contnue cover, she went with me early next morning to SS to ask if I could continue membership.

Instant answer 'NO, too late, must be continued during the process of refund of contributions, no exceptions'.

Absolutely untrue. Continuing the health cover has nothing to do with the pension aspect.

And you have 6 months to do it.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Old westerner here,

I use the government hospital to treat my various medical problems, they charge me around 1,200bht/year for 4 scheduled checkups and daily medication. At the start of my problems, I incurred another 3,500bht in fees for four emergency treatments.

They would have made a decent profit if I had been paying 10k or 20k/year.

Medical supplies, drugs and treatment are dirt cheap in Thailand, when they aren't gouging you as a foreigner.

Which is essentially why they can afford to charge the Cambodians/Burmese 2,000bht/year for cover.

They can afford to charge migrant workers only 2,000 baht because these are young people healthy enough to do manual labor. They also, as a group, have trouble taking time off and for that and other reasons (language, cultural barrier) are unlikley to overuse health services.

Many retirees here require more than 10-20k in medication alone each year and that is nto taking into account the stents, bypasses, hip replacements etc. Older people use health services more. That you have not yet had a major hospitalization expense does nto mean you never will.

A system of paid for cover under either the 30 baht or SS scheme could be paid to work but would require premiums higher than many seem to think and would almost certainly have to increase premiums with age. It would also have to mandatory fir all as otherwise it would attract only those unable to get private insurance who are by definition older or sicker or both.

If it also included tourists - a younger, fitter cohort - that would help reduce costs.

But this is all pointless to discuss as thus far govt is unwilling to do it.

On 12/26/2019 at 8:49 PM, WayWokeWhiteGuy said:

I am surprised more expats do not keep uo their Thai Social Security heath plan after they quit working, it is pretty affordable at B432/month.

I didn't come and live in Thailand to work. after my first visit, i knew it was a bad idea so i grafted for 20 yrs  coming back many times until i had achieved what i needed. 

On 12/26/2019 at 8:49 PM, WayWokeWhiteGuy said:

?? expats from where? what health plan are you referring to?

1 hour ago, cmrichsw said:

?? expats from where? what health plan are you referring to?

It is not a private health plan. He is referring to the Thai Social Security scheme which anyone employed in the formal sector (other than private schools) , including foreigners, is covered under through payroll deductions. It is possible  to keep this cover for life by making your own payments after retiring/leaving work.

This is only an option for people who legal worked here and were covered under Social Security through work for at least 1 year.

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I including foreigners, is covered under through payroll deductions. It is possible  to keep this cover for life by making your own payments after retiring/leaving work.

Out of curiosity, when a (foreigner) finishes work how does one keep paying into the SS ?..

9 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Out of curiosity, when a (foreigner) finishes work how does one keep paying into the SS ?..

There will be forms to fill out and you arrange monthly payment, most people do it as direct deposit. You have to go in person to SS office.

Some SS offices will say it cannot be done, or that foreigners cannot do it, both completely untrue. They do not have much experience with it as few Thais take this option, once no longer working they can get free cover under the u nversa;l scheme so see little point in paying for continued SS cover. Totally different for foreigners of ocurse.

If any issues arise contact SS HQ office in Nonthaburi.

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

There will be forms to fill out and you arrange monthly payment, most people do it as direct deposit. You have to go in person to SS office.

Some SS offices will say it cannot be done, or that foreigners cannot do it, both completely untrue. They do not have much experience with it as few Thais take this option, once no longer working they can get free cover under the u nversa;l scheme so see little point in paying for continued SS cover. Totally different for foreigners of ocurse.

If any issues arise contact SS HQ office in Nonthaburi.

Awesome, thanks.

Last job I had I did not do this and obviously my compnay sponsored private health insurance ended when employment did..

Next time round I'll not forget.

Archived