Government hospitals - cover for non-Thai.

Saltire

Government hospitals - cover for non-Thai.

My father-in-law is from Myanmar and has lived in Thailand for 50+ years.

About 5 years ago he had treatment in a large provincial hospital for cancer of the oesophagus which cost my wife around 300k Baht whereas for Thai it would have been 30 Baht. This was about 5 years ago.

Since then he has regular checkups at the local regional hospital which have been completely free up till now. He also had a large boil on his foot cut off - no charge.

This week he was admitted for 2 nights to receive several saline drips and a blood transfusion as he was generally in poor health and very dehydrated. We received an unexpected bill for around 4,600 Baht. On asking why start charging now no one could explain this, so we just paid it.

However they did offer an annual insurance (direct with the hospital, not with a commercial insurance company) costing 2,700 Baht per annum which we were told would cover every admission and treatment (only in the one regional hospital)  for the next 12 months and each treatment would be part of the 30 Baht scheme.

Has anyone come across this ‘insurance’ for non-Thai? Is it a new initiative?

Also, if they can offer this to the million or so migrant workers from Laos, Myanmar etc why not foreigners? The area I live has a large migrant population and everyone my wife spoke to in her hospital stay to take care of her father, had the same story, a big bill and in some cases no idea how they were going to pay.

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Would be good if government hospitals offered this, they should do really, would make them money

Correct, and I for one would be more than happy to register and pay around 10 to 20k per year. You're right, they could make good money.

4 hours ago, Saltire said:

About 5 years ago he had treatment in a large provincial hospital for cancer of the oesophagus which cost my wife around 300k Baht

That sounds very expensive but perhaps this is total cost over the last 5 years?  Surgery is normally not that expensive here.  

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

Do you have any costing so you can show us how much money they would make on that?

they will have downtime for all staff, they get nothing from Thais so 20k a year from lots of falang, most of which would never need it would mean a profitable business

It's best to wait for Sheryl, but it's my understanding that the Thai gov't will permit "migrants" from neighboring countries to buy into the Thai 30 baht health insurance program for a modest annual cost.  For a time, some locales permitted all foreigners to do this, but once they saw how many were elderly and in need of expensive care, they backed down and interpreted the language of the law to mean just foreigners from neighboring countries.  

What Nancy said.Migrant workers here legally can buy into the 30 baht scheme.

It is not an insurance company. It is a government scheme.

I do this every year for my Cambodian household staff. Unfortunately only the workers are covered not any dependents.

Govt could do this for expats and many wish they would. They would have to do some research first to determine appropriate cost and given that expats tend to be older it would be much more than 2000 baht a year.

18 hours ago, Saltire said:

Correct, and I for one would be more than happy to register and pay around 10 to 20k per year. You're right, they could make good money.

I think the idea that Thailand would make "good money" treating old westerners for 10-20k a year ridiculous. 

Perhaps if they had a a no preexisting conditions clause, a B5,000 co-pay for each visit and did not cover non-life threatening issues like new knees, hips and whatnot.

12 minutes ago, WayWokeWhiteGuy said:

I think the idea that Thailand would make "good money" treating old westerners for 10-20k a year ridiculous. 

Perhaps if they had a a no preexisting conditions clause, a B5,000 co-pay for each visit and did not cover non-life threatening issues like new knees, hips and whatnot.

For retirees (by definition older people) it would certainly need to be over 20k. Unlike private insurance it would include people with serious pre-existing conditions and it does so with no limit to in or outpatient care. Quite a few people woild excees 20k worth of outpatient medication alone.

There are of course a variety of ways it could be set up that might help control costs. But however done it would require significant work by MoPH health economists and planners and they seem to have thus far been unwilling to undertake it.

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

For retirees (by definition older people) it would certainly need to be over 20k. Unlike private insurance it would include people with serious pre-existing conditions and it does so with no limit to in or outpatient care. Quite a few people woild excees 20k worth of outpatient medication alone.

There are of course a variety of ways it could be set up that might help control costs. But however done it would require significant work by MoPH health economists and planners and they seem to have thus far been unwilling to undertake it.

And while they currently enjoy a fair amount of medical tourism, that could start to begin converting to medical retirement.

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

But it would be very simple to set up as inpatient only free access and outpatient at normal government hospital cost.  That would take care of the fear factor issue at hand of non payment of hospital inpatient bills and should be viable at less cost than the private hospital options.

14 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

That sounds very expensive but perhaps this is total cost over the last 5 years?  Surgery is normally not that expensive here.  

It does yes and I wasn't around then so can't be sure. It did involve a 6 week stay in hospital though so I guess it all ads up

25 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I agree, thanks for your, as always, measured input.

Thanks to those who have answered my main query constructively.

I had not heard of this scheme and it will potentially save me and my wife a considerable sum, now having cover for a very elderly man.

Not only that but she only found out about it from the hospital admin staff as she was paying the bill. She is now spreading the word around our village via the village chief. At least here, it seems it is not widely known.

We live in a village of about 1500 people, at least 70% are non Thai so hopefully a few more will benefit.

Thanks

6 hours ago, WayWokeWhiteGuy said:

It wouldn't be difficult to work out a profitable scheme which could include an annual excess payment which will stop people attending every five minutes with a cold.

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

What Nancy said.Migrant workers here legally can buy into the 30 baht scheme.

It is not an insurance company. It is a government scheme.

I do this every year for my Cambodian household staff. Unfortunately only the workers are covered not any dependents.

Govt could do this for expats and many wish they would. They would have to do some research first to determine appropriate cost and given that expats tend to be older it would be much more than 2000 baht a year.

Fascinating info thanks. I have Cambodian citizenship. Please could you tell us what is the procedure to apply and if there are any restrictions. You mentioned no dependents.

On 12/26/2019 at 1:04 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Would be good if government hospitals offered this, they should do really, would make them money

The Thai government do not have the common sense to do something like this, then again if they did it might affect their personal income as the insurance companies that they run would get less business.

2 hours ago, NotYourBusiness said:

Fascinating info thanks. I have Cambodian citizenship. Please could you tell us what is the procedure to apply and if there are any restrictions. You mentioned no dependents.

You need to have an LA visa or similiar and work permit.

You go to the government hospital which covers the location  listed in your work permit. They may ask that Employer come as well, mine does and wants copy of Employers ID card or passport.

.You get a physical check up first that costs about 600-800 baht and mainly screens for infectious diseases. Then you pay around 2000 baht and they issue you a pink card valid for a year  showing you are covered under the 30 baht scheme. Anytime you use the hospital have to show rhat card.

Archived