Pattaya: Man caught removing parking restrictions with thinner!

webfact

3 hours ago, impulse said:

It's only going to get worse as more people buy cars in a country that was developed without concern for parking.

Cars are expensive in Thailand, the government takes quite a chunk. There is no reason why the rise in number of cars should not be accompanied by an increase in the parking infrastructure provided in all areas.

Instead, they are spending half a billion dollars on a Chinese submarine.

13 hours ago, donnacha said:

If, even after accepting that you would save the infant from the truck, you still want to claim that you would never break a law, well, you would be operating on a different logical plane, and we would just have to agree to disagree.

We can all pull silly circumstances to justify bypassing the law from our back ends. What I object to is people out of selfishness writing their own, or ignoring existing ones. As is the example in the original post. The 'no-parking' restriction here was made for a reason, either road safety or to keep traffic moving. Your child crossing or popping out from between parked cars is just as likely to get injured, and the ignorant people parking freely can contribute to that. 

On 12/27/2019 at 10:44 PM, donnacha said:

I think the moment when I finally truly understood Thainess was when I moved into a shophouse in a quiet cul-de-sac but close to a market, so, packed with cars during the day.

Each property had two parking spaces outside, so, early one morning when I knew I had a delivery truck coming, I put up a sign and roped off my two spaces. One of my neighbors, an older Chinese Thai lady who owned a pawn shop further down the street, went ballistic, because she was used to using those spaces for her cars.

I said sorry, no, those are my spaces, and I have a delivery truck coming.

"Well", she says, "Let me use the spaces now and, when the truck comes, just come to my shop and I will have my cars moved"

She was somewhat offended by my uproarious laughter. I essentially told her to get fracked and, after a couple of weeks of stopping anyone removing my barriers and using the spaces, they came to accept it. "Don't park there or the crazy farang will run out!".

It was later explained to me that she was also a money lender and, at any given time, had possession of 8 or 10 cars being held as loan security. So, she felt entitled to park them in front of everyone else's shops, making the whole street less accessible to customers. Despite the obvious cost to them, everyone else was too polite to tell her to stop.

And therein lies most of Thailand's problems everyone is too polite or afraid to say something that may offend. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, a977 said:

And therein lies most of Thailand's problems everyone is too polite or afraid to say something that may offend. 

Apart from the older Chinese-Thai neighbour lady, who seemed to have no problem saying something. 

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Apart from the older Chinese-Thai neighbour lady, who seemed to have no problem saying something. 

Ah so but apparently honourable Chinese lady have ulterior motive so no plublem

• Like 1

On 12/27/2019 at 3:12 PM, Dionigi said:

The police can act whether there is paint there or not.

But only if the money is right.  Scores of businesses claim parking spots on public roads belongs to them if in front of their businesses.  The hotel next to Pattaya Immigration have an enforcer to deter parking in the six spots there. 

Parking in these forbidden spots can result in nails in the tires or scratched paintwork. 

• Like 1