Thailand welcomes 39th million tourist

snoop1130

The trouble with a lot of people on the forum bashing the Thais over the tourism numbers is that they also get their numbers and their information all wrong. There is also a lack of objectivity from all sides.

These threads have become tedious in the extreme.

Rooster

• Like 1

i entered thailand 3 times this year, so i count as 3 tourists

i have a german friend who has like 6 arrivals and some filipinos get around 6 arrivals (by paying 200 baht so they look away on the 2 entry limit per year) 

thats how 3 people equal 15 tourists 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

The trouble with a lot of people on the forum bashing the Thais over the tourism numbers is that they also get their numbers and their information all wrong. There is also a lack of objectivity from all sides.

These threads have become tedious in the extreme.

Rooster

Folks here are just responding. We're not generating the news releases that seem so doubtful to many. There wouldn't be so many threads to become so tedious for you were there not the issuance of all dubious "milestones." 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, captainhornblower said:

Even if it is from Oct 31st to now it still means a tourist arrival figure of around 114.035 people per day or 4,750 people per hour (24 hours per day) - that seems a tad high to me ????

Not all coming through Swampy though. Don’t forget that there are what, 4 other international airports? Chiang Mai, Phuket, Hat Yai etc as well as many land crossings. There are thousands crossing everyday in Sadat alone. 

5 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

. In my opinion, TAT (and immigration) count pretty much every foreign person crossing the border as a tourist: grocery shoppers from Laos; Malaysian blokes coming to Betong for a quick <deleted>; illegally working expats returning from their regular "visa hops" every 30 days; and even me (having been on 12 business trips abroad this year, I am quite sure I was registered as "12 new arrivals"). The sheer fact that they proudly announced the 38.26 millionth arrival (which is a really odd number) tells me that something isn't kosher.   

Oh, absolutely. The count is number of arrivals, not number of unique individuals. Malaysian blokes coming across Betong, Dannok are correctly classified as tourists as they are only coming over for a short holiday and depositing some baht (among other things) into the country. 
There are also a lot of Malaysian families going to Hat Yai for quick shopping trips and Thai food. I was surprised at the numbers when I was down there not so long ago. 

This tourism / visitor nonsense is a canary in a coalmine. 

Unless you're impacted by TAT's policies, you're likely to think of "visitor" and "tourist" as synonymous. They have the same connotation. 

The Thai economy is contracting HARD because of how Thailand is treating tourists and foreigners in general, and the dual-pricing schemes don't help matters much. 

Just wait for the crash and snatch up land or a house at a cheap price. 

35 minutes ago, P100 said:

These BS actions show how desperate they are to prove that every thing is ok while tourism is collapsing due to their own failures.

Almost every week we hear official tourism numbers. As if they want to calm down the people to avoid an uprising.

Do you think that most Thais know or even bother about tourism numbers?

What I can tell you is that most people who live in touristic places hates tourism unless they are personally benefitting in some way from it. 

5 hours ago, johnmcc6 said:

Baloney! If 39 million tourists mixed with a total Thai population of just under 69 million people it would hard get around because of the crowds.

You do realise that they don’t all arrive at the same time? Oh, you didn’t know that? Sorry, my bad

6 minutes ago, JesseHumphry said:

This tourism / visitor nonsense is a canary in a coalmine. 

Unless you're impacted by TAT's policies, you're likely to think of "visitor" and "tourist" as synonymous. They have the same connotation. 

The Thai economy is contracting HARD because of how Thailand is treating tourists and foreigners in general, and the dual-pricing schemes don't help matters much. 

Just wait for the crash and snatch up land or a house at a cheap price. 

Strange post. On the one hand, Thai bashing. On the other, recommending others to invest (even though they can’t actually). 

I notice the changing demographics of tourist shifting from Westerns to tourists from China and India.  My hypothesis is that this particular subset of tourist who are now making up the majority of the visitors simply don't notice any difference in the air quality when they step off the plane.  If fact, the AQI might actually be a slight improvement over where their flight originated from.  ????

• Like 1