Vietnam Trip 3, 2019.

chrissables

Vietnam, three months on a motorbike of being, hot, cold, wet and dry, often on the same day!

Day 1. Friday 6th Sept.            

Arrived!

Day 2. Sat 7th Sept.

I collected bike from Tigit Motorbikes as usual, and they helped fit the harness for the tank bag and an exhaust guard to keep my saddlebags cool.  There was lots of rain about, so I stayed near my hotel with nothing to do.

Day 3. Sun 8th Sept.

Another day of rain showers.

Day 4. Monday 9th Sept. 11 hrs. 336 km

Saigon to Mui Ni.

My plan was to ride to the reservoir north Saigon. (Tri An Lake) loop around it before heading cross country to the beach resort of Mui Ni.

This was the first day of many that “google” maps had a laugh at my expense!

“Roads” marked on my phone turned out to be slippery, muddy clay tracks and after fighting them for a while, getting boots full of disgusting smelly water I back tracked onto some more major roads and rode in the rain to Mui Ni. I still arrived late on the good roads, so it was a good decision.

20190909_111215.jpg

20190909_111956.jpg

20190909_112007.jpg

20190910_153148.jpg

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 5. Tues 10th Sept. 198km 6 hrs

Mui Ne to Da Lat

I was stopped by the notoriously corrupt police leaving Mui Ni this morning. As I was totally legal with the correct licence and not speeding I stupidly showed them my licence. They took it away and demanded 1,500,000 dong or they confiscate the licence and I collect it a week later and also still pay!

I offered 1,000,000 dong and was on my way. That amount was way over the norm, but I just wanted out of there.

It’s a great ride up to Da Lat on the QQL2B and QL20.

DSCF3893.JPG

DSCF3896.JPG

Day 6. Wed 11th Sept. 138km. 7 hrs

Dalat Pine Tree Road and back.

I have ridden up this road before, this time I managed 65 km before coming to the end of the road, a little further than my last trip.

There are amazing views along this road and the construction workers at the end of the road were very friendly and kept taking selfies with me. They even asked me to join them for lunch, which after my issues with the police yesterday was a nice surprise.

On my return to Da Lat I found a film crew making a music video, I stopped to take some photos but they had a break and I ended up having a nice chat with the stunt man there.

Further along I found a sofa repair shop and had my seat modified, a whopping 5 pound!

DSCF3923.JPG

DSCF3933.JPG

DSCF3930.JPG

Day 7. Thurs 12th Sept. 12 hrs 350km

Da Lat to Nha Trang

My route was south out of Da Lat, past Elephant Waterfall before looping west on QL27, then north and turning east on DT12 which is a small and bumpy road, then riding down into Nha Trang in a huge thunderstorm.
The hotel I booked was <deleted> and asked me to remove my boots to get to the room. So I left and found another.

DSCF3971.JPG

DSCF3972.JPG

DSCF3968.JPG

Day 10. Sunday 15th Sept. Local in Nha Trang

Day 11. Monday 16th Sept. 405 km. 10 hrs

Nha Trang – M’Drak – Ayun Pa – North to QL19 and west to Quy Nhon.

Another route I have ridden before, but such a nice ride, long though! No rain today!

DSCF4002.JPG

DSCF4009.JPG

Day 13. Wed 18th Sept. 342 km 9 hrs

Quy Nhon to Quang Ngai

QL19 and up to An Khe – DT669 north to cross QL24 continue north then west on the DT630 – DT633 and down to Quang Ngai.

Again a route I have ridden before, but a wonderful ride through the mountains.

No rain and a beautiful day for riding, very remote in places and still jungle.

DSCF4061.JPG

DSCF4087.JPG

DSCF4095.JPG

DSCF4069.JPG

Day 15. Fri 20th Sept. 8 hrs 253 km

Hoi An – Prao  – Hoi An Loop.

Great riding and first time on this trip to ride the Ho Chi Minh Road.

Heavy showers, but short. There must have a lot of rain previously as there were quite a few landslides around.

DSCF4113.JPG

DSCF4124.JPG

Day 16. Sat 21st Sept. 237 km.  6 hours

Hoi An – Hue – Hoi An Loop

There is a new road, just about finished but not open to the public. But by dodging around barriers and potholes you can gain access! 70 km + of new road and empty except for the odd construction vehicle!

There is a tunnel 1.4km long which had no lighting and nearly brought on a claustrophobic attack.

I came back via the Van Hai Pass, unfortunately the small road to the very top is blocked now. A pity because it has the best views.

DSCF4128.JPG

DSCF4139.JPG

DSCF4145.JPG

Day 20. Wed 25th Sept 118km 4 hours

Tam Coc to Ha Noi

An easy ride north to Ha Noi, but I was stopped by the police!

Police.

Vietnam has a drug problem, it's becoming very serious and the addicts are easily seen as you travel through the country.

Their drug of choice is caffeine which to most people seems harmless, but the strong desire for this drug in Vietnam is really affecting the locals. They are willing to lie and make up any story just to get a fix, as most drug addicts do.

I was feeling benevolent today and when i was asked for some financial help from a couple of these addicts i decided help. 500,000 dong should buy a lot of coffee and keep them off the streets for a while!

This payment is well known in Vietnam and is called "coffee money" and is very similar to "tea money" in Thailand.

The photo below is of a caffeine addict really in need of a fix, enjoy and choke on it!

I had the bike serviced and a bit of a run around finding a hotel with secure parking.

Ha Noi is a great city, I always enjoy my time here.

Day 21. Thurs 26 Sept.

Relaxing around Ha Noi

I visited the small lake (pond) where an American B52 had crash landed, then went to one of the “Train Streets”. I’m glad I did as the police have shut all the bars now!

DSCF4230.JPG

DSCF4250.JPG

DSCF4254.JPG

Day 24. Sun 29 Sept. 6 hours 110 k

Exploring Mai Chau

I rode out of Mai Chau and I was lucky to see the sea of fog before continuing to Lo Gao waterfall north of town, and riding a road west parallel to the main Son La road. (Marked 6Cu on google maps)

A very small road off the normal tourist routes, lots of small landslide making it a slow ride, but spectacular scenery!

I reached 1271 meters on today’s   ride.

DSCF4362.JPG

DSCF4378.JPG

DSCF4399.JPG

Day 25, 30 Sept. 307km 10hrs 15m

Large Limestone Loop.  

http://vietnamcoracle.com/province-of-paddies-and-pinnacles-the-thanh-hoa-loop/

More roads I have ridden before, but as usual great riding, if a hard day.

The waterwheel from my previous trip is now partly destroyed and not working.

It was slow going from near the Laos border with quite a few landslides on the way.

DSCF4412.JPG

DSCF4426.JPG

DSCF4429.JPG

DSCF4445.JPG

Day 26. 01 Oct. 6 1/2 hr. 110km

The Goat track Loop.

Great riding weather, although hot. As with most of this area stunning views with mountains everywhere.

As it was very remote, the locals would stop and check that all was ok if you stopped too.

At the actual “goat track” I need the help of a local as the clutch needed adjusting, it was impossible to slip it, which was needed to ride slowly over the rocks.

On my way to the "goat track"

DSCF4463.JPG

20191001_151449.jpg

20191001_152213.jpg

Day 29. 04 Oct

Around Son La

Thunderstorms in the morning until 1pm.

Day 30. 05 Oct. 170 km 5 ½ hrs

Son La to Dein Bien Phu

I took a diversion down the mountains the back way to Tuan Giao, some more new roads I found and great views.

Great views, no rain!

DSCF4524.JPG

DSCF4532.JPG

DSCF4543.JPG

Day 31. 06 Oct 181 km 6 ½ hrs

Dien Bien Phu to the Laos border and back.

This was not the normal border crossing point, but a remote crossing along the border further south east. Link below.

A lovely ride through the valley before a stunning climb to the Laos border. The border control building looked abandoned with a small building to its side. Nobody was visible so I carried on and a guy in a beat up old car waved me on.

I rode past the Vietnam / Laos border point for a while and the track disappeared into the distance.

There was also a side road up to some pylons that with more time needs exploring.

Heavy rain for a short while returning

DSCF4553.JPG

DSCF4565.JPG

DSCF4568.JPG

DSCF4571.JPG

DSCF4574.JPG

DSCF4582.JPG

DSCF4584.JPG

DSCF4591.JPG

Day 32. 07 Oct 265 km. 7 ¾ hrs

Dien Bien Phu – Muong Cha – Cha Cang – Muong Tung – Dien Bien Phu.

A ride north and west towards the restricted areas. Then looping back east and south. It was a longer day than expected but with the stunning views a great day. The last leg was quite a rough road though.

DSCF4606.JPG

DSCF4613.JPG

DSCF4628.JPG

Archived