How is UOB bank?

It all depends on staff/branch. We found them so far rigid in their rules, unhelpful. They take 50,000 Thb to open account, others take 500 Thb. 

We don't use the account since we opened one with Bangkok Bank. 

Edited by Letseng
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Letseng said:

It all depends on staff/branch. We found them so far rigid in their rules, unhelpful. They take 50,000 Thb to open account, others take 500 Thb. 

We don't use the account since we opened one with Bangkok Bank. 

As you say..depends on the staff/branch, no fee to open my account, should not be at any bank.

18 hours ago, LennyW said:

As you say..depends on the staff/branch, no fee to open my account, should not be at any bank.

There's no fee to open an account,but normally you have to deposit a sum, 500 baht and more,depending on the bank. Earlier at Kasikorn Bank a foreigner had to deposit 10000 baht when opening an account. I think UOB requires the highest deposit. 

16 minutes ago, saengd said:

UOB minimum is 50k Baht, an outstanding bank in every respect.

Internet banking is very good, it meets all my needs, for overseas activity they will give you a PIN generator.

I just checked every UOB account. According to the official requirements (maybe new),no foreigner is allowed to open an account,only thai nationals from 15 years of age. Minimum deposit 1000 baht. Earlier this year Kasikorn Bank changed the official requirements for opening an account. No foreigners are now allowed. In February the old requirements were passport + wp or passport + retirement visa. 

Only Bangkok Bank has exactly same requirements today as they've had for years. Officially, today that's the only bank where a foreigner without a wp are allowed to open any account. If there's another bank,then I've missed it. 

4 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I just checked every UOB account. According to the official requirements (maybe new),no foreigner is allowed to open an account,only thai nationals from 15 years of age. Minimum deposit 1000 baht. Earlier this year Kasikorn Bank changed the official requirements for opening an account. No foreigners are now allowed. In February the old requirements were passport + wp or passport + retirement visa. 

Only Bangkok Bank has exactly same requirements today as they've had for years. Officially, today that's the only bank where a foreigner without a wp are allowed to open any account. If there's another bank,then I've missed it. 

I've banked with UOB for the past eight years or more and am often in the branch when foreigners have been opening accounts, I can't relate to what you've written.

EDIT TO ADD: I just remembered, an American neighbour of mine wanted to open an account at UOB three months ago and we went to my branch together so he could find out details. He came away saying he would open an account there but I've no idea if he did or not.

Edited by saengd

I have looked at the UOB site and do not see that account opening is restricted solely to Thai's, I have also looked their T&C's and that doesn't either. Since I have seen foreigners opening accounts at UOB quite recently the OP may wish to visit a branch to confirm.

https://www.uob.co.th/personal-en/deposits/saving/deposit-normal-saving.page#tab4

16 hours ago, saengd said:

I have looked at the UOB site and do not see that account opening is restricted solely to Thai's, I have also looked their T&C's and that doesn't either. Since I have seen foreigners opening accounts at UOB quite recently the OP may wish to visit a branch to confirm.

https://www.uob.co.th/personal-en/deposits/saving/deposit-normal-saving.page#tab4

Yeah, no restrictions on foreigners...it's a foreign bank, one of the best!! (Singapore)

2 hours ago, LennyW said:

Yeah, no restrictions on foreigners...it's a foreign bank, one of the best!! (Singapore)

No, it's a Thai bank, UOB Thai Ltd., the only connection it has with its namesake in Singapore is its name and the share ownership. Try going into UOB anywhere else in the world and trying to transact against UOB Thailand and they will tell you it's a different bank, same with CIMB, same with Citi., etc.