Candy seller pickpockets tourist

Rimmer

9 hours ago, Leaver said:

Are you blaming the victims?

Should they have expected dodgy street vendors coming into the restaurant? 

No... although I do expect dodgy street vendors, they have been around forever.... the cute little kids who nicked your fags and lighter in 2004 might be selling lottery tickets now. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Haha 1

If, an hour before this happened, someone would have cautioned this woman about leaving her purse like that, good chance the response would have been a form of a condescending "no problem."

I had a gf who had her purse rifled through several times, in the US and while traveling abroad.  She had been a doctrinaire communist in her younger days, and I accused her that having money made her feel guilty; she would disagree mildly, which for her and her big mouth was akin to an admission.

On the subject of sidewalk tables, in Brazil it would not be unusual for someone passing by to ask for some of what you're eating, and of course people scoping out snatching opportunities like this one.  No sidewalk seating for me.  If I have a day pack and I'm eating in a food court I'll put the bag on the chair next to me and use the straps to attach it to the chair.  Never had anyone making a grab for it, so never got to see what the ruckus a snatch and run would cause.

12 hours ago, jacko45k said:

No... although I do expect dodgy street vendors, they have been around forever.... the cute little kids who nicked your fags and lighter in 2004 might be selling lottery tickets now. 

They must be getting desperate, because they know how easily they will be caught.   

They probably just don't care about getting caught anymore. 

13 hours ago, Leaver said:

They must be getting desperate, because they know how easily they will be caught.   

They probably just don't care about getting caught anymore. 

As we frequently see, they are released without charge or the police can't even be bothered. Hardly a deterrent is it?

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

As we frequently see, they are released without charge or the police can't even be bothered. Hardly a deterrent is it?

That's because the police know they can't get blood out of a stone, nor can the prison guards. 

Tag and release and repeat. 

Makes you wonder how many thefts they get away with. 

The candy is just for show.  Their real occupation is thieving.