Tailor; making casual clothes

ThaiBrian

Where are the tailors that are well skilled at making casual shirts and long pants, not suits. I don't want to pay 1,500 baht for a shirt... at that rate I'll just import some of my old clothes from the states. What am I looking at for at least 75% cotton fabric shirts / pants? 500 buttoned shirt? 750 pants? Alternatively, I can just buy over sized clothing online and have them trimmed and sewn... if I can't find a decent priced tailor to make me clothes.

My experience is.. There is very little here which has any genuine value.. I now bring or order almost everything from the west.. 

TM Lewin, Samuel Windsor, etc etc etc.. All do shirts for 10 - 20 gbp on sales (make an account, put it in the cart, then close the window.. Sales 'offers' start streaming in) all far higher quality than any casual shirts made locally. I do have some nice stuff made in bangkok (tailor on ten.. great western run place.. Not in any way a bargain tho.. Or DGRIE again bangkok). I have tried, multiple times with locals, here and on Phuket, never really getting decent outcomes. 

The only exceptions really are the cheapie seconds in export 71 type places.. However I am outside of the bell curve of asian sizing so really is a <deleted> shoot. 

• Thanks 1

Op not being too realistic in my opinion. You are expecting someone to

measure you

Make a pattern

Select a readonable fabric

Hand cut approx 12 parts

Machine/sew them together

Cut align the button holes

Affix the buttons

Clean it/ Press it.

All for under a 1000 baht ?? Really ?

Mass production is what brings those costs down but a couple or one of two, not realistic given what's involved. (IMHO).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Op not being too realistic in my opinion. You are expecting someone to

measure you

Make a pattern

Select a readonable fabric

Hand cut approx 12 parts

Machine/sew them together

Cut align the button holes

Affix the buttons

Clean it/ Press it.

All for under a 1000 baht ?? Really ?

Mass production is what brings those costs down but a couple or one of two, not realistic given what's involved. (IMHO).

There used to be a time when asia was famous for cheap decent clothes.. But in the era of mass production, and rising labour costs I think its no longer reality.. 

Suits in the UK 200 - 300 quid for a 'name brand' if you look around.. far exceed the quality of a 10k suit (if you can find it) here.. Its double the price at a minimum for a decent tailor with decent imported fabrics. Hell its 10k a jacket for a well done one. On the upper end having a really decent one done at 30 - 40k does still compare favourably with saville row western tailoring costs, but only if your getting high skilled workmanship (rare) and real not counterfeit fabric. 

I guess if your an odd size / shape maybe theres an upside.. I am an odd size for asia, but perfectly normal in the west, so perhaps that all clouds my shopping experiences. 

• Like 1

I have had casual shirts made at laam thong tailors on thapae rd. before a couple of old Thai fellas been in the shop for  ages good deal the cost for short sleeve shirt was 700 for the last ones i got give them a go left hand side as you are heading towards the moat about 100 yard's after  chang klang road   

I can recommend Too Tailor, not far from Thapae Gate.

You provide the fabric and base price for a man's shirt is 500 baht. 

She speaks decent English, does excellent work, usually can get an order of two shirts done in about a week.

Here's a Google Map, she's directly across the soi from Ban Wiang.

https://goo.gl/maps/VhXinV9XP3T3xrcy9

DS

Hubby can find nice shirts at Central Dept store and by watching for their sales, you can find prices under 1000 baht for well-made shirts.  As for slacks, the import shops sometimes have Dockers for a reasonable price.  He's also had Fashion King make slacks that are styled like Dockers and of similar fabric, but of much better fabrication.

For men, I think you’ll do much better with off-the-rack clothing.
There are a number of import shops that carry western sizes.

BTW, the Free Bird Cafe runs a second-hand charity shop.  Most of the men’s clothes go overlooked and unsold.

If you’re not adverse to purchasing pre-owned clothes (hey, it’s good for the planet!), I’d give them a look.  And quite a few of the items are brand-new.

Also, they’ve been running a half-price clothing sale on Sundays (check their Facebook page for confirmation), which makes their already super-reasonable prices unbeatable. 

It would certainly leave you with leftover baht if minor alterations were needed.