British man killed by ‘faulty’ firework in Pattaya

webfact

27 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Unlike yourself, Gary was not of the mindset to be a TV member as his life was too chock-full of real-life excitement to waste time pontificating to anonymous people on the internet about how stupid and irresponsible our fellow man can be. Even the best and brightest ones.

Oh he was a friend of yours ?

Just read the thread .

Fair enough, he had a fun excitement filled night playing with fireworks and living life to the full .,

I spent a dull night in avoiding fireworks " wasting my time pontificating with anonymous people on the internet ".

I am now at home, and hes in a morgue .

He would probably want to swap places with me, given the opportunity

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Just pointing out that living recklessly isnt always the best way to be . 

I get where you are coming from.

There is a lot of, "it will never happen to me" attitude here.

I'm sure if he was drunk and got onto his motorbike and crashed and died, there would be zero sympathy. 

The fact he has died in unusual circumstances is tragic.  All the living can do is learn from this tragedy, and not touch this fireworks in the future.

The guy is dead, and while we can discuss his actions, I don't think I would put his culpability up there with riding a motorbike while drunk.

Now is the time to celebrate the guy's life, not criticize it. 

New years in Pattya about 10 years ago. This drunk put a huge firework in the street and tried to light it. The second time he tried it fell over and went off. The projectile took off at a slight upward angle, hit a pole and ricocheted straight up into the air where it exploded. There was more than a few shocked looks. It could easily have killed more than one person. Crazy stuff.

5 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Unless things have changed in Isaan the shop in our city was a large shop with crazy large fireworks. Is it recently the fireworks have been banned?? 

That particular model (singular) is illegal -"the firework, the sale of which is illegal in Thailand".

Other articles about the incident say that in Pattaya a license is required in order to light fireworks.

2 hours ago, gerritkaew said:

We buy also at a local shop, we didn't know its illegal?

But wow, how unlucky this guy to lose his life at newyears night In Pattaya's walking street in thailand..

Fireworks are legal in most of Thailand.  The particular model that killed the Brit is illegal.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I would assume that the UK would be the same as most other countries and fireworks that big are just not available to the public so any 'firework code' would have been mostly irrelevant.

No, the firework code being referred to would be entirely relevant. One of its main tenets was: "Never return to a firework once it has been lit." Which is relevant and true no matter the size of the device.

The British press are suggesting it was a tube of several fireworks. The video makes it appear the firework flared up and he may have had time to get away. 

Sad to see his fiance draped over him in one of the photos ????

RIP, and condolences to his family + fiance

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7842273/British-man-50-killed-trying-light-firework-Thailand-New-Years-Eve.html

3 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

The British press are suggesting it was a tube of several fireworks. The video makes it appear the firework flared up and he may have had time to get away. 

Sad to see his fiance draped over him in one of the photos ????

RIP, and condolences to his family + fiance

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7842273/British-man-50-killed-trying-light-firework-Thailand-New-Years-Eve.html

It was one of those large, tube type pyrotechnics. It only takes one I guess.

They were not in the gogo bar but at the regular bar next door.

14 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

There are certain times of the year/holidays when nothing good happens here.

Stay in room, have a beer, watch TV and sleep.

Amen!  The only people who think fireworks are great are the ones who have never been shot at.  I am a veteran and don't respond well to fireworks of any kind so on holidays in Pattaya I have to be a hermit.  Sucks but better than ending up in jail for beating the hell out of some idiot for throwing firecrackers at me on the street.  

3 minutes ago, philosphrstone said:

Amen!  The only people who think fireworks are great are the ones who have never been shot at.  I am a veteran and don't respond well to fireworks of any kind so on holidays in Pattaya I have to be a hermit.  Sucks but better than ending up in jail for beating the hell out of some idiot for throwing firecrackers at me on the street.  

Some of them don't get it.  I have become such an early nighter when in town I find my life much more peaceful.  usually in my room by 9 PM.  Wake early and get in a walk.  Oddly enough no fireworks or the like.  Only time of year this doesn't work is Songkran.  There is no safe time then but at least it's just water.

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I would assume that the UK would be the same as most other countries and fireworks that big are just not available to the public so any 'firework code' would have been mostly irrelevant. My wife advises me that these sort of bombs are to be set up well away from buildings and people and cannot be freestanding and must be supported in case they fall over under detonation. She also advises that the fuses can burn as long as two minutes before firing and it is still burning inside the case so to the novice, it would appear to have gone out. I am not sure if there are any warnings on the colorful packaging to this effect but despite being freely available around the time of holiday celebrations, they are illegal.

The UK firework code is relevant to any firework and had this gentleman followed it he would not have been killed.

Large fireworks of the type involved here used to be available on the retail market in the UK. There were a number of accidents and now they are only available to professional users.

Years ago I set up some small displays and received training in handling fireworks. One thing you DON'T do is light it with a match or a cigarette. Use something like a portfire at arms length and don't return to a lit firework for several hours.

8 hours ago, Bugsy777 said:

New years in Pattya about 10 years ago.

Yes I had something similar in soi 7 about then. Another year a big scrap started in WS near Bali Hai.... I don't go into town for NYE any more. 

Love the comments about the “illegal” fireworks. They’re illegal here in the States too, but due to some loophole regarding their use as a deterrent for animals — it is perfectly fine to set them off, willy-nilly. 

https://www.tampabay.com/features/consumer/Yes-most-fireworks-are-illegal-in-Florida-No-that-doesn-t-stop-anyone-Here-s-why-_169531650/

5 minutes ago, theanimaster said:

Love the comments about the “illegal” fireworks. They’re illegal here in the States too, but due to some loophole regarding their use as a deterrent for animals — it is perfectly fine to set them off, willy-nilly. 

https://www.tampabay.com/features/consumer/Yes-most-fireworks-are-illegal-in-Florida-No-that-doesn-t-stop-anyone-Here-s-why-_169531650/

Thanks , I was just this minute wondering, I wonder whether fireworks are legal in Florida, so, thanks for that info

39 minutes ago, Xaos said:

There is no logic as to why the guy lights it then continues to hold his head directly over it, the fuse is clearly lit , its not like it went out and he went to check. Defies explanation.

It doesnt appear to be a faulty firework as the OP title says.

Very sad, RIP. He sounds like he was a good guy and whilst this was undoubtedly an extremely irresponsible thing to do, he didn't deserve to pay with his life. 

It looks like it was lit from the first attempt and blew up exactly as he leaned over and tried to light it 'again'.

Fortunately nobody else was injured/killed, that was quite an explosion.

the video says it all.

most comments on this thread now become null and void.

glad i am not as 'smart' as this guy.

happy not to be living life to the full as this guy.

RIP mate, but........ jeeeeeez.

how close to others walking past. how close to other vehicles. how close to this being a lot worse than it was. 

the sellers will be out in songkran. the buyers will be there. more idiots will be there with a lighter.

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The upper video shows an explosion at ground level.... not the way a firework works.

upside down? head in its path?

firework probably ok. instructions not followed? 

plenty of Chinese around to translate those instructions.

7 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

There is no logic as to why the guy lights it then continues to hold his head directly over it, the fuse is clearly lit , its not like it went out and he went to check. Defies explanation.

It doesnt appear to be a faulty firework as the OP title says.

Thanks to everybody having a camera. But he was intoxicated, and he thought it was not going to work for a third time, he expected it to not going to light up even though it glowed.

Archived