British man killed by ‘faulty’ firework in Pattaya

webfact

Just now, SOTIRIOS said:

....fraud....???

..manufacturing without a license....???

...murder...???

...this isn't a 30-baht cap....someone is dead...

...anybody going to be ...'thrown in jail'.....???

....maybe the victim...???

...!@#$%^&*(...

Maybe the seller perhaps.

Should be easy enough to find...... Thai male about 5'6" weighs about 60kg and has short black hair and brown eyes.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a rotten, brat, daredevil kid, I did every stupid "young and dumb" thing imaginable with firecrackers. Somehow, I still have all body parts, eyesight and hearing.

Perhaps in my twenties when I started a family, I seemed to oppose personal use. Let the experts put on the show. Today, I see all forms of pyrotechnics as nothing but a waste of money.

And too many nights on too many occasions, I can't even take my dog out to empty her bladder as she is scared skinny of the big bang.

Rant over!

10 minutes ago, moonseeker said:

Lots of tasteless comments. A human being died. Dumb, drunk or whatever...None of us where there. Ever think about his family? They have to read and hear this kind of stuff. TV Pattaya at its best. RIP.  MS>

The topic was posted for discussion....

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Police said they suspect the firework, the sale of which is illegal in Thailand, was faulty and this was the reason it did not go off as intended,

So I hope police will be following up the sale of such an illegal firework, and a prosecution of a shop owner will soon follow?

34 minutes ago, Aussiepeter said:

You have my sympathy for your loss NanLaew and I sympathise too with Cornish Carlos, as my Thai missus is totally deaf in one ear and has 30% loss in the other after some dumb 'Somchai' let off a cherry-bomb next to her in CM when she was 17. Burst both her eardrums. I was an explosives safety officer and UXO technician in the army for nearly 30 years. There are many safety rules with gunpowder-based explosives, including light it at arms length, but the main one that another poster hit on is simple - if you have lit or tried to lite it once, there is a 2 hour wait (in the bunker) before one silly sod (the safety Officer, i.e. me) goes down to take a closer look. I would then destroy it - not try to relight it.

I enjoyed playing with fireworks in C Mai for many years, but always in a vacant cleared paddock, with both adults and kids kept at least 100m away to watch. They have been banned in Oz since about 1970, with good cause. The Chinese stuff they sell downstairs in Kad Luang (Worowat Market) often has over 200+ grams of compressed gunpowder and often with old dodgy fuzes. Gunpowder breaks down with time, so the burning time of a fuze can suffer delay if old.

Sad way to go for a chap who from all reports was a very nice bloke. 

Thanks for the technical advice. I put ours on a shelf last night as it was way too windy to set them off. I was going to keep them for the next celebration, but I think not now.

I must confess I felt extremely uncomfortable riding home with them under my bike seat, next to the petrol tank in the hot sun, no telling how we'll made they are out here. Decided to cut short my bike ride instead of my manhood.... ????

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

. Smart

yeah sounds like it not only a potential threat of danger to anyone near, goes back to an un -exploded firework with more gunpowder than a hand grenade. sorry for your loss. but smart i don't think so.

2 hours ago, mike787 said:

...and that is why I watch the experts do it and far away.  Compacted pressurized and sealed gun powder....not a good outcome.

Yes , in England many years ag it was firework displays to go to.  Thousands of pounds spent on rockets etc , displays went on for an hour , then the bonfire.  Ok we don't want Guy Fawks night here.  Must be only Thais that send off rockets on NYE. oh and what sounded like landmines last night for gosh sakes.

3 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

An autopsy is due to be carried out to determine the man’s official cause of death.

A sad way to go. Why trying that in the middle of a busy road?

RIP, you'll never make the same mistake again. My sincere condolences. 

Since when has 13/2 been a busy road ?

5 hours ago, Ventenio said:

10000-years ago i remember blowing things up and almost taking off my hand.  then i read about people getting really burned by those sparklers and my brain said, "NO MORE."  ...not a chance playing with those things. 

My parents gave me some money if I would not touch those stupid things and not buy it. I was 7 yo then. And up to now I never bought any fireworks. So did my children. 

In many cities It's forbidden already out of good reasons. 

But if you buy it you have to know about the risks when use it. 

That man paid with his life. 

RIP

3 hours ago, atyclb said:

a needlessly tragic death. quite a big risk trying to light an explosive device that size and at that renge

not too long ago a lost a brilliant young attorney friend to a motorcycle accident. he too remained smart and articulate when inebriated though thought he was invincible.

that's one of the main troubles with that drug, the complete cerebral removal of any braking system..

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

So I hope police will be following up the sale of such an illegal firework, and a prosecution of a shop owner will soon follow?

Then you'd need space for thousands of shopkeepers who sell all that <deleted> to little kids.

Most of these crackers and rockets were already available many weeks ago and little kids lit up huge crackers that could kill, or seperate body parts. 

We've done the same things when we were young. But as an adult, he should have known it better not to try it again after two times of malfunctioning. 

And please remember, it was an accident, the family members will read all posts. My condolences. RIP. 

6 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

The fireworks are sold everywhere in Thailand, almost like they are legal.  Who would have guessed?

Fireworks are illegal in Boston, Mass my hometown but have always been able to get some usually in Chinatown.

Archived