I just got a plastic bag in 7/11

jackdd

I went to buy some stuff in 7/11, and to my surprise i was still offered a plastic bag (they asked if i want one), even though in the news it said no more plastic bags starting today.

Maybe that's just the old stock, but i would of course hope that they continue doing so.

What is your experience in the shops today?

I think we will see some strange behaviour over the next few weeks and months.

We went shopping over the last 2 days - In Levis in Central they asked us if we needed a paper bag - I thought pretty obviously we wouldn't be carrying a pair of jeans around, I don't think that would have aroused much suspicion with security, and we are talking about paper bags, not plastic, still a drain on energy but quite essential.

Then in TOPS I asked the wife to buy an overpriced reusable bag and the checkout girl said, "It's OK, theres one more day left, you can have a plastic bag today!" kind of misses the point. I gave up, and we ended up with 2 more trash bags.

Glad to see in Big C they are now selling quite nice but not really very strong nylon bags for 15B which fold into their own tiny pouch. People were buying and looking, but they were still using the plastic bags presumably "because the 'ban' wasn't in force just yet".

Im sure, this is Thailand, plastic bags will be available under the counter at 7-11 for a while yet.

4 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

well it got a couple of 'likes', so maybe not just me. Ever thought that it may be you that is out of step? 

You may be right, as I never did take to the idiocy of army discipline.

Measuring the validity of your argument by the number of likes you get? Proves nothing, except perhaps you have admirers.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 4

the $2 shops will snap them up, and simply Sell them; as Stock like everything else on the shelves

simple re-interpretation of the Laws, that are now in place to stop shops giving them away for free 

see it now... shop gets done for trying to 'sell' plastic bags, alongside e-cigs...

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Maybe that's just the old stock, but i would of course hope that they continue doing so.

What is your experience in the shops today?

Please for the love of all the fish in the sea....give the bag back and save our planet!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm kidding, I"m burning 10 million bags as we speak

• Haha 1

just reading; that over in Kenya, you can be arrested for Possession?  - even stopping people in their cars, and searching for... 

sounds like a worthy scam (set-up) practice for local coppas, to make a quick Buck!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

BS is not any kind of argument to me, unless it is backed up with facts. Perhaps you are easily satisfied.

Dont need any second hand facts... i look, listen and learn, and thankfully i am blessed with common sense which seems so badly lacking in many these days.

8 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

me too, and they will lose me as a customer if they stop providing

the plastic bag i need to carry the cappuccino on my bike back to home

Even Thai people can afford these.  I see them every day.  Wake up to the 21st century my friend 555

51gNAoAL94L._AC_SX425_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It's an easy win for supermarkets to say "ooh look, we don't provide plastic bags any more, we're doing our bit to tackle climate change" while at the same time wrapping everything in single-use plastic (nothing like seeing 'organic' imported fruit in supermarkets here wrapped in plastic, in a foam wrap, in a hard plastic punnet ...

I use supermarket bags as pedal bin rubbish bags instead of buying pedal bin rubbish bags.

Personally I would prefer that retail outlets charged say THB 1 for each single-use bag, to go to a government fund for environmental protection (yes, I know, I know, dream on etc) - something analagous to the State Oil Fund into which each litre of petrol/diesel sold makes a contribution - instead of not offering them at all, and trying to get you to buy their over-priced 'bags for life'. 

As with so much in life, not clear cut.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-50579077

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LennyW said:

Dont need any second hand facts... i look, listen and learn, and thankfully i am blessed with common sense which seems so badly lacking in many these days.

A Dilbert aphorism is beckoning me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tifino said:

just reading; that over in Kenya, you can be arrested for Possession?  - even stopping people in their cars, and searching for... 

sounds like a worthy scam (set-up) practice for local coppas, to make a quick Buck!

That's Rwanda. Single use plastic bags are illegal. There's a thriving black market trade in them, of course, because they are very convenient. I spent half an hour at the DRC-Rwanda border coming from Goma while Rwandan customs went through my bag and others looking for illegal plastic. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lacessit said:
37 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

It made the point and didn't take too many keyboard clicks.

43 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Maybe in your mind. Permit me to doubt it did for anyone else.

I don't need anyone else to presume doubt on my behalf! @Pilotman's answer was succinct and absolutely to the point. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Of course i took it. I use them as trash bags, as probably most people do.

If i don't get the free plastic bags when shopping it means i have to buy trash bags.

This isn't better for the environment, only better for the profit of the companies. Which is the reason why they are trying to push it.

I would say that you're in the minority so not really the usage-profile they were trying to impact. 

First off, given the way places like 7-11 and Big C would double and triple and quadruple bag everything, it would be fairly difficult to use as many plastic bags for trash as one was getting.

If everything you buy fits into one bag and they double-bag it, the trash caused by consuming that item is unlikely to be more than one bag, which means you have one bag extra.  Multiply that by the 1 - 2 times a day people buy from 7-11 or whatever and it generates way more bags being given out than people use.  

I have a few month's of trash bag supply under my sink right now. 

Also, explain to me how banning plastic bags, especially in Thailand where they double-bag everything, results in the bag companies selling more bags? 

How many bags of trash to you generate per day/week?  Your need for trash bags should remain a constant number (on average) but the amount of bags being sold and given away will decline sharply. 

As an example, let's say that I normally take out my trash twice a week.  I used to go shopping three times a week resulting in six bags a week (minimum). 

Now I have to buy my bags but my trash usage is constant so I still use two bags per week.  The company that makes plastic bags, is selling 4 less bags per week. 

If anything, it would seem that the party benefiting is the retailer who not only reduces their cost of business operations by eliminating bags and sells you more trash bags. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

It made the point and didn't take too many keyboard clicks. 

So they make no profit out of selling you the plastic trash bags? or the bags to carry your shopping ,how good of them . my you are so knowledgable ,especially your witty replies .

• Like 2
  • Confused 1