I just got a plastic bag in 7/11

jackdd

23 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You may be right, as I never did take to the idiocy of army discipline.

Measuring the validity of your argument by the number of likes you get? Proves nothing, except perhaps you have admirers.

you two guys need to find something else to occupy yourselves...

the childish tattle, is so pathetic...grow up. get a life..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, tom in bangkok said:

Is anyone else able to get the checkout staff to bag your stuff with the reusable bags? I've given them the bags a couple times so far and they just stack everything on the counter. Then they watch me bag everything..

Plastic bag ban does not mean your job has one less duty.

I go to the same 7-11 all the time, so I get all my shopping needs taken care of in a courteous, friendly manner. 

In fact, I cant remember the last time I DIDNT get excellent service at a 7-11.

1 hour ago, tom in bangkok said:

Is anyone else able to get the checkout staff to bag your stuff with the reusable bags? I've given them the bags a couple times so far and they just stack everything on the counter. Then they watch me bag everything..

Plastic bag ban does not mean your job has one less duty.

The checkout staff at Rim Ping and Tops in Chiang Mai will place items into our reusable bags.  Sometimes they're a little confused when I bring the freezer bags to the counter, already packed with frozen items from their store and they have to repack a certain way to get everything to fit.  Then I do the repacking.  But otherwise, they're just fine in putting the non-frozen items into the regular tote bags.  Maybe it helps that we have clean, fairly new tote bags and aren't trying to overload them.

I've used the freezer bags for a long time.  How else to get ice cream home without it melting?

Yeah, I remember the "good old days" when Mom got paper bags at the grocery store.  The paper from those bags made good book covers for our school-issued textbooks, required by our school system. Also it was good, cheap paper for art projects. 

But, dealing with kitchen waste was difficult with the brown bags.  She had to be careful not to put anything wet into them.  And the trash containers in our bedrooms/baths weren't lined.  If they got dirty, well they were cleaned by whomever was responsible for putting something wet into the trash.  Once a week, the trash and old newspapers were gathered up and burned in the back yard by my Dad in a wire bin, plastics and all.

As for the cat litter -- well my parent's technique wouldn't work in Hubby's and my high rise condo.  My parents kept a cardboard box in the basement, filled with dirt from the garden.  The cat had free access to the outside, but preferred to do his business in that basement box.  After a month or so, when the box became too rank, Dad would pick it up in a flat snowshovel and take it to the little stream that ran behind our property and toss the box in. 

How's that for being environmentally friendly?

• Haha 1

On 1/1/2020 at 10:01 AM, LennyW said:

Dont see the fuss.....our mothers all went shopping without the need for plastic bags, surely us later generations can easily adapt. It is a good step forward for Thailand but many other countries are plastic bag free already.

People will get used to it in time and make the necessary adaptions, unless they are a bit backward in seeing it for what it is.

in ye old days of old, paper bags were all there was. then the greenie loons of the day started in with the "save the trees" mantra to discourage the use of paper. Never mind that the cars everyone drove to the supermarket in got 5mpg and belched fumes. So that's why plastic bags came about. Sort of like global cooling became global warming which became global climate change.... but never mind.

"People will get used to it in time and make the necessary adaptions, unless they are a bit backward in seeing it for what it is." you said.

Yes, I'm sure they will, without thinking about why they were banned in the first place, except that it will save the planet, save the turtles, save the whales, save the water, save the air, and certainly you want all that don't you!? Why think anyways?

Lockstep comrade, and sing loud!

I was on udom suk (Bkk) yesterday and went in for water.  Not offered a bag.  So I asked, mai sai tung?

She replied no and smiled. Very good!

Ive been bringing my own bag and plastic for the veggies for well nigh 30 years.  On the other hand I also use the plastic here for trash, as little as possible.  What do folks do about trash inside the house?

1. If you don’t use the smaller plastic to line the small receptacles, then what do you do?  
2. I’ve also been reusing the plastic to put veggies in.  Are people just putting that altogether in the cloth/nylon bag as well?

On another note...

The Royal project shop near otokor has not been issuing bags of any kind for sometime now.  Mostly Thais come in with their own and only the occasional issue of someone forgetting to bring.  The produce is still plastic bagged - virtually all of it. 

3 hours ago, tom in bangkok said:

At Seven around the corner,

had my bag which is not theirs in the cart

they took the bag and bagged everything in it.

no question asked.

5 hours ago, murraynz said:

you two guys need to find something else to occupy yourselves...

the childish tattle, is so pathetic...grow up. get a life..

I have a life. Looks like yours consists of dumping on other people.

On 1/1/2020 at 9:17 AM, Pilotman said:

It will take time to trickle down to  all of the local shops and I'm sure you are right about old stock.  I'm sure that the big supermarkets will follow the law from today. I trust you refused the bag? As we have been using our own bags for sometime now it will have minimal impact on us, provided we always remember to take the things out of the car each time we shop. 

Why would I refuse the bag? I need it as a trash bag. Soon everyone using a plastic bag in the kitchen bin have to buy bags at Home Pro. Is that so much better? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Max69xl said:

Why would I refuse the bag? I need it as a trash bag. Soon everyone using a plastic bag in the kitchen bin have to buy bags at Home Pro. Is that so much better? 

How can you not understand?  There are going to be a lot less plastic bags used and a lot less waste and plastic bags blowing about making litter and killing animals. less waste OVERALL.  Do you really think they all end up as 'trash' bags?  

Shopping over a month, getting a plastic bag or more with every purchase.. even you can not use all those bags as trash bags... if you can you must be filling trash bags with trash bags....  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

have you heard of biodegradable? Normal plastic bags are not, so buy ones that are. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, fhickson said:

was asked today if i needed a bag ????

its working, wow!

Same here - I didn't catch what he said, so he did get a bag out - but I always carry a bag and only take theirs when my trash bag collection is running low. 

On 1/2/2020 at 4:36 PM, jak2002003 said:

How can you not understand?  There are going to be a lot less plastic bags used and a lot less waste and plastic bags blowing about making litter and killing animals. less waste OVERALL.  Do you really think they all end up as 'trash' bags?  

Shopping over a month, getting a plastic bag or more with every purchase.. even you can not use all those bags as trash bags... if you can you must be filling trash bags with trash bags....  

you are dead wrong about that,

my maids insert 2 plastic bags in my trash cans

every 3rd day, but on top of that,

i use up the bags i get from big c/etc,

and still have to ask for around 6 extra bags per week

from the maids to carry out all the trash,

cause 7/11 & mr donut only provide a tiny bag for my

cappuccino, they are too small for the trash cans

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, sirocco said:

Hello,

I use small plastic bags to collect rubbish from the sink.
For this, I put the small bags in the boxes against humidity (the hexagonal, brand FARCENT) which serve as support.
Nothing is wasted.

i save the environment by going out to eat,

and in the rare cases when my favorite resturants

arent open, i ask 7 for spoon & fork along with the meal,

so i wont have to do any dishes at all

13 hours ago, brokenbone said:

you are dead wrong about that,

my maids insert 2 plastic bags in my trash cans

every 3rd day, but on top of that,

i use up the bags i get from big c/etc,

and still have to ask for around 6 extra bags per week

from the maids to carry out all the trash,

cause 7/11 & mr donut only provide a tiny bag for my

cappuccino, they are too small for the trash cans

Your consumption of plastic bags and the amount of 'trash' you are producing is not normal.

Maybe you have a big hotel or homestay with all that rubbish and so many maids to be running about every day with all the trash?

My household has 4 people living in it, and a cleaning lady comes once a week.  We don't even fill up half a black bin bag.  Some weeks we don't even put the rubbish out for collection as we have so little.  Goodness knows where all your rubbish is coming from!

Are you really eating so many donuts and cappuccino's every day?  That's also can't be good for your health.