What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2020)

CharlieH

10 minutes ago, sceadugenga said:

Netflix won me over with the subtitles, (I'm as deaf as a post) a lot of torrent sites downloads don't come with them and it involves searching the subtitle sites for matching subs.

I strike a happy medium, some TPB, some NF.

I'm a bit hard of hearing myself and will always look for movies or TV shows that have subs, but if they don't, there's always Subscene to find and attach the subs. Rarely they don't have the subs I want.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Netflix is, I think, 350 baht or so per month. I for one can't be arsed to download torrents for that price.

I don’t mind paying NF, I also have appleTV+ which is now free until next Feb’ .. but I’d go crazy if I relied upon it, I find a lot of content and recommendations so generic. 

I like NF for the Thai subs, it saves a lot of explaining.

I have also noticed on fb, some people sharing their Plex libraries for 1200B a year. 

Edited by recom273

Seduced: Inside the NXIVM Cult

This cult and their leader are very topical at the moment.

Enjoying this series more than the other one called The Vow.
And I liked the Vow.

Summary: Seduced follows India Oxenberg's abuse and her own culpability inside the NXIVM cult, an organization marketed as a self-help group.

On 10/27/2020 at 12:05 PM, Daffy D said:

A quite nice feel good movie "About Time" (2013)

At the age of 21, Tim discovers he can travel in time and change what happens and has happened in his own life. His decision to make his world a better place by getting a girlfriend turns out not to be as easy as you might think.

Really surprised by this one; was expecting the run of the mill rom-com, but it is so much more than that; it's about family and the smiles and cries of life. The whole film was filled with charm, wit and had its fair share of heartfelt moments. Time travel is a subject that has been visited many times in the film industry, but this had its own unique touch to it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2194499/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_9

:thumbsup:

Thanks for reminding me about that one. I came across it on Netflix and watched it again. I must have been in a different mood when I first saw it years ago but found it much funnier this time round.

:clap2:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sceadugenga said:

I don't think you'd need chess knowledge to enjoy the story, I'm two episodes into it and find it very good.

It's based on a novel by Walter Tevis who also wrote the books for The Hustler, The Color of Money and The Man Who Fell to Earth.

Despite my comment on this a few days ago, about seeing the end first and how I hate that. I am enjoying this series very much

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, tlcwaterfall said:

I subscribe to a Plex library. Thousands of movies and tv shows with subtitles if needed. Very high quality also.

Well worth it for a small once off payment. 

Tell us more, I was thinking about putting my Jellyfin library out there for fun, I built a new server, but I am scared about dealing with subscribers with stuttering playback at peak times,  it apparently I should be able to accommodate 50 subscribers. 

Edited by recom273

20 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Tell us more, I was thinking about putting my Jellyfin library out there for fun, I built a new server, but I am scared about dealing with subscribers with stuttering playback at peak times,  it apparently I should be able to accommodate 50 subscribers. 

The library I subscribe to has more than 1000 members. Works very well and rarely has any buffering. You can also subscribe to their Emby service. Both are excellent and cost effective.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

A good place UK TV program subs is:-  https://www.addic7ed.com/

Also:-  https://subscene.com/

And:-   https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/search/subs

Thanks for the info.

I normally just type subtitles in Google followed by the name of the movie or tv-series and then download the srt-file in the language of my choice (english).

But I sometimes encounter the following issue.

When streaming movies or TV-series using 123movies.org, there are often several ways of rendering the movie.  When it is available in NETU-format you can simply use the 'captions' option and select the downloaded srt-file with the subtitles of the movie you want to see (works great).  But when the movie/TV-series is only available in HLS-format you do not have such caption-option and need to use a subtitle-rendering application and have the srt-file run simultaneously on it (I use GreenFish).  As it are two separate programs, you then synchronize the running of the subtitles with the movie using the fast-forward option.

QUESTION > When using that last option, i.e. running the subtitles simultaneously on Greenfish while the movie runs in HLS-mode on 123movies, I sometimes experience the problem that the subtitles are not 100% synchronized with the movie and run faster/slower than the movie itself.  Any suggestions on how to avoid such out-of-sync running?

Edited by Peter Denis

Half way through season 2 of 4 Blocks.

It really is an excellent show.

All 3 seasons on RARBG with subs.

Summary: Based in Neukölln, Berlin Toni manages the daily business of dealing with the Arabic gangs and ends up wanting to leave his old life behind for his family, but as expected, it's never that simple.

https://www.nsfwyoutube.com/watch?v=XHGT23zaLTU

28 minutes ago, tlcwaterfall said:

The library I subscribe to has more than 1000 members. Works very well and rarely has any buffering. You can also subscribe to their Emby service. Both are excellent and cost effective.

Can you provide a link to that library.  Thanks!

58 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Thanks for the info.

I normally just type subtitles in Google followed by the name of the movie or tv-series and then download the srt-file in the language of my choice (english).

But I sometimes encounter the following issue.

When streaming movies or TV-series using 123movies.org, there are often several ways of rendering the movie.  When it is available in NETU-format you can simply use the 'captions' option and select the downloaded srt-file with the subtitles of the movie you want to see (works great).  But when the movie/TV-series is only available in HLS-format you do not have such caption-option and need to use a subtitle-rendering application and have the srt-file run simultaneously on it (I use GreenFish).  As it are two separate programs, you then synchronize the running of the subtitles with the movie using the fast-forward option.

QUESTION > When using that last option, i.e. running the subtitles simultaneously on Greenfish while the movie runs in HLS-mode on 123movies, I sometimes experience the problem that the subtitles are not 100% synchronized with the movie and run faster/slower than the movie itself.  Any suggestions on how to avoid such out-of-sync running?

Srt files are simple things - open one in a text editor - on a basic set, you will see a list of times and the subs. Each video file should have its own specific sub file, which is why in subscene you see the video file name. Maybe you are trying to pair two non paired files together.

You also say that you are playing a file from a server and then adding subs locally, there may be some irregular timing issues which cause the subs to drift out of sync.

Im not aware of a method to synchronize them on the fly. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Daffy D said:

A good place UK TV program subs is:-  https://www.addic7ed.com/

Also:-  https://subscene.com/

And:-   https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/search/subs

I've relied on Filebot for years to find subtitles automatically from opensubtitles.org and also to rename files in bulk (including the subtitle files). Does a good job, will put the subtitle file in the same folder and rename appropriately according to language chosen. Recent versions are payware (B180/yr, no expiration but no support thereafter; worth it).

https://www.filebot.net/

Runs on various platforms. There's an older free version (4.7.9) floating around that still manages to work passably but is a bit of a hassle to setup (you've been warned). Both versions require registration at opensubtitles, no biggie.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/filebot/files/filebot/FileBot_4.7.9/

Edited by BigStar
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Srt files are simple things - open one in a text editor - on a basic set, you will see a list of times and the subs. Each video file should have its own specific sub file, which is why in subscene you see the video file name. Maybe you are trying to pair two non paired files together.

You also say that you are playing a file from a server and then adding subs locally, there may be some irregular timing issues which cause the subs to drift out of sync.

Im not aware of a method to synchronize them on the fly. 

Opening a subtitle file with a text editor ain't gon' get you far.

There are times when you've got no choice but to bring out the heavy artillery:

https://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit/

Shows the video and the audio waveform. Offers various ways to sync. If you ever want to create a subtitle file from scratch, it's the go-to. Bit of a learning curve but tutorials are around.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

Watched all the seasons of Breaking Bad again, followed by El Camino, a Breaking Bad movie, now I find I just can't get into any new series because nothing else compares. Looked for high rating series on IMDB and downloaded things like Sons of Anarchy, Weeds, GOT and Homicide-Life on the Streets, tried them all, but not a patch on BB. The series that I enjoy like Ray Donovan, Billions, Get Shorty, Dexter etc aren't producing any new episodes, which makes it a wasteland for me now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Watched all the seasons of Breaking Bad again, followed by El Camino, a Breaking Bad movie, now I find I just can't get into any new series because nothing else compares. Looked for high rating series on IMDB and downloaded things like Sons of Anarchy, Weeds, GOT and Homicide-Life on the Streets, tried them all, but not a patch on BB. The series that I enjoy like Ray Donovan, Billions, Get Shorty, Dexter etc aren't producing any new episodes, which makes it a wasteland for me now. 

You should try some of the European shows out there.

There is some quality like Gomorrah, 4 Blocks, Spiral, The Bureau and heaps of others.

4 minutes ago, faraday said:

The Bureau - as Will mentions, is terrific.

The Americans is also very good.

Then of course there's Spooks from a few years ago.

All of them highly watchable, without getting daft.

@giddyup

I haven't seen Spooks so thought I'd give it a crack.

First series in 2002 and was was just too old to capture my interest.

It has got great reviews though.

Edit* Thanks faraday, nice to get back to some recommendations.

Edited by Will27