Blast from the Past - 60's, 70's, 80's Music (2020)

CharlieH

6 hours ago, bannork said:

Thank you Tippers for an interesting array of music as always. I appreciate how you as an American know so much about British rock, a true encyclopedia.

As usual you're too kind, bannork.  Except for the 'American' slur, LOL.  I'm German.  Just kidding about the slur.  Grew up Stateside and love the country.  I owe a lot to Americans.  Not so much these days, though, LOL.  But that's an inappropriate topic here.

It's just the simple love of music.  Used to listen to the BBC while living in Germany back in '66~'67.  I remember watching a special report back in '66 on the burgeoning music scene in the UK.  Bands forming everywhere, some with members as young as 10.  Our boarding school of high schoolers in Germany even formed their own band.  I've always debated with myself as to which side of the pond put out the best rock and I think it's ultimately an unanswerable question.  While rock 'n' roll started as an American phenomenon the Brits worked absolute magic with it.  Their innovation was simply spectacular.

I was fortunate to have been in Chicago which had a true progressive rock station, WXRT.  No constant replays of top 100 tunes.  And their playlists always included excellent music that was obscure and not to be found on any other station.  So it is that I try to post music that is of excellent quality while mostly forgotten by time.  While I enjoy the most well known tunes and never tire of them I also want to hear quality music that I'd never heard before, or album tracks which never charted and are now mostly forgotten.  YouTube is a never ending source for material.  And I must return the thanks, bannork, for you've turned me on to excellent music and bands from your side of the pond which never, as far as I am aware, received air time in the U.S.

Anyway, just spreading the love of music with the idea of presenting long forgotten and newly unearthed material from what is truly the renaissance of music which we were blessed to be a part of.  Rock on.

Here's something new.  Psychedelic jazz-rock band Sweet Smoke with Silly Sally off of their '70 Just A Poke LP.