To Cambodia by motorbike

Paolo Genova

Hello to everybody, I'm in Thailand now and my visa expire this month, so I want to go to Cambodia to ask for a new one. I'd like to go by motorbike, it's mine and it have thai license plate. Do you know if it's possible by Pailin Border and what I need? I have thai driving license. 

i don't know your visa situation but unless you were 100% sure you were going to be let back into Thailand I would not go by motorbike.

If I were to do this I would park my bike on the Thailand side like in a hotel parking lot and take other transportation over. 

I believe you need a "visa" for your motorcycle, sort of like a temporary import license good for a short period of time. also check into insurance.

ask this same question in the motorcycle forum for info on taking a bike into Cambodia.    

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i don't know your visa situation but unless you were 100% sure you were going to be let back into Thailand I would not go by motorbike.

If I were to do this I would park my bike on the Thailand side like in a hotel parking lot and take other transportation over. 

I believe you need a "visa" for your motorcycle, sort of like a temporary import license good for a short period of time. also check into insurance.

ask this same question in the motorcycle forum for info on taking a bike into Cambodia.    

You only need green book in your name, i don't think possible to get insurance tho, not sure.

Post in motorbike section, i'm sure some fellows there should know.

• Like 1

You can cross into cambodia by mbike if in your name with greenbook.  Make sure to tell thai side you going in.  Sometimes need to get papers from cambodia sometime not.  Many just make sure thai papers in order cause that is where they exit and don't even inform cambodia lol.  However, if you are simply doing a visa why cross by mbike just ride there park and walk across.  Where are you going?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

ok i stand corrected. sorry everybody. i thought for sure i read you need customs clearance and other paperwork.  maybe some other country i was thinking of, like Zimbabwe. :clap2:

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chrissables said:

My experience at the Koh Kong Border, Trat.

If the green book is in your name, present that and your passport to to Thai immigration, tell them you are leaving the country on the the bike. They will guide you through the procedure.

There are various documents to be signed, but no issues at all. Once they have cleared both you and the bike they let you pass through no mans land and the Cambodian immigration will guide you too.

It may pay to apply for an e-visa for yourself as the the Cambodian visa takes a whole page.

It really is nothing to worry about. I understand some borders are more tricky than others.

GT Rider.com has lots of information.

I did this a few months back, everything went smoothly until I was approached my the Cambodians asking for money to bring the bike in. They said I must pay 1000 baht per day to use my bike, I negotiated down to 1000 baht for the week.

Is this law or a scam?

3 hours ago, george pickford said:

you  will have to change the signal light wires around as they drive on right side i just bought a cambodian turn signal switch  left is now right  

If I want to turn left while driving my bike, I flip the switch to the left and visa versa. Why is that different when driving in Cambodia? 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I did this a few months back, everything went smoothly until I was approached my the Cambodians asking for money to bring the bike in. They said I must pay 1000 baht per day to use my bike, I negotiated down to 1000 baht for the week.

Is this law or a scam?

What border?

It's a scam for sure.

I had a switch put on my bike so i am able to turn the headlight off in day hours as i understand the law is.

Police were not an issue at all, most roadblocks they waved through with a smile ????

My trip if anyone is interested.....

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1086835-cambodia-motorbike-road-trip-2019-the-good-the-bad-and-the-painful/

8 hours ago, george pickford said:

you  will have to change the signal light wires around as they drive on right side i just bought a cambodian turn signal switch  left is now right  

W.T.F. ???????? erm... I mean really... W.F.T. !!!!   this is quite a special comment... by special I mean ‘thpethial’ !

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Had you already paid for you Cambodian visa when they asked for money? If so you were stuck!

I had an eVisa.

The guy's got me at Cambodian immigration and took me to these officials in a small office opposite immigration,they spoke amongst themselves and demanded the money.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, chrissables said:

Not good, i intend to go again. I wonder what would happen if you refused payment!

Next time I will ignore the guys that approach you. 

Do everything yourself. 

It's quite a maze if you have a motorbike as you have to go to many different areas, if you've been before just do it all yourself. 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 4:34 PM, tlandtday said:

You can cross into cambodia by mbike if in your name with greenbook.  Make sure to tell thai side you going in.  Sometimes need to get papers from cambodia sometime not.  Many just make sure thai papers in order cause that is where they exit and don't even inform cambodia lol.  However, if you are simply doing a visa why cross by mbike just ride there park and walk across.  Where are you going?