New requirement to show air ticket at land border

now, I really don't understand how arrogants are some farangs who have their proper visas on this forum.

now, for those farangs that thinks perpetuals pretending-to-be tourists shouldn't be allowed to stay here and deserve what happen to them, please give me a solution, or say frankly I'm scum that would be fair to expell out of the country, and I would be glad to pursue the argument in PM. :o

makrook,

i am one of the farangs who holds a "proper" visa as i meet the financial requirements. i have (i think) read most of the relevant postings and did not detect any hint of malice towards those who are (like you) unfortunate and no not qualify.

however, i have read dozens of postings directed against us "old farts" and that WE should be kicked out and make place for the younger "virile studs" or young bragging professionals who make millions of Baht with a snap of their fingers.

for your personal situation i wish you sincerely best of luck.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Giving problems to visa runners should not affect true residents who would or should have proper visas.

got angry when I saw that, and I remember som other comments on other threads as well, though won't bother to go and check.

BTW as long as you're not spending your days drinking beer speaking about girls with your mates from 10 am with you're teen girlfriend bored to death waiting next to you, I don't wish you out of the country, you old lucky rich proper visa owner :o

Giving problems to visa runners should not affect true residents who would or should have proper visas.

got angry when I saw that, and I remember som other comments on other threads as well, though won't bother to go and check.

BTW as long as you're not spending your days drinking beer speaking about girls with your mates from 10 am with you're teen girlfriend bored to death waiting next to you, I don't wish you out of the country, you old lucky rich proper visa owner :o

You shouldn't get angry. The point is this requirement is for those without a visa. If you don't have a visa, then the Thai government doesn't consider you a resident so it shouldn't be surprising that they have such rules.

I was responding to someone saying that this is just another way to give problems to residents, but it's not. You can't be considered a resident if you're making visa runs every month. I'm knocking you if you do it, but it's certainly not the best way to do it.

now, I really don't understand how arrogants are some farangs who have their proper visas on this forum.

now, for those farangs that thinks perpetuals pretending-to-be tourists shouldn't be allowed to stay here and deserve what happen to them, please give me a solution, or say frankly I'm scum that would be fair to expell out of the country, and I would be glad to pursue the argument in PM. :o

makrook,

i am one of the farangs who holds a "proper" visa as i meet the financial requirements. i have (i think) read most of the relevant postings and did not detect any hint of malice towards those who are (like you) unfortunate and no not qualify.

however, i have read dozens of postings directed against us "old farts" and that WE should be kicked out and make place for the younger "virile studs" or young bragging professionals who make millions of Baht with a snap of their fingers.

for your personal situation i wish you sincerely best of luck.

This is just a disgruntled minority , characterised as the "I haven't had an orgasm since 1999 and

the latest mobile phone is NOT a gadget , it's a NECESSITY" lobby. This is not an anti-farang thing

as many Thai gentlemen have the same problem with their mia nois.

:D

BTW as long as you're not spending your days drinking beer speaking about girls with your mates from 10 am with you're teen girlfriend bored to death waiting next to you, I don't wish you out of the country, you old lucky rich proper visa owner :D

You shouldn't get angry. The point is this requirement is for those without a visa. If you don't have a visa, then the Thai government doesn't consider you a resident so it shouldn't be surprising that they have such rules.

I was responding to someone saying that this is just another way to give problems to residents, but it's not. You can't be considered a resident if you're making visa runs every month. I'm knocking you if you do it, but it's certainly not the best way to do it.

I believe this is what is referred to as a "Freudian slip."

:o

Let's see, to whom do we give stamps for entry without a visa? To real tourists. Okay, real tourists should have a flight out of Thailand...voila, no counting of days, no counting of visa-free stamps.

This is totally incorrect. There's a huge number of REAL TOURISTS who enter and exit countries such as Thailand on land trips....in particular backpackers.

For REAL TOURISTS such as these, having to show an air ticket out of Thailand is a problem that makes travel in and out of Thailand unnecessarily complicated.

The note clearly states travel documents or airline ticket so E-Ticket printouts should not be a problem.

I say this because we know that many rules/laws are flexible here in Thailand but you should be aware that the criminal penalties for false documents

are much more severe than most might suspect (as recent crackdown on teaching documents have shown) and it is taken very seriously by police officials. Please don't take unnecessary risks. Any document can be checked if there is suspicion.

This leaves a "perpetual" tourist with a number of different options if they wish to continue border run/tourist visa run combinations:

1. The cheapest stictly legal way of purchasing an AirAsia (or other airline) e-ticket for exit 30 days from entry and do one border run followed by a tourist visa run followed by a border run.

2. If the tourist wished to do 3 border runs before doing a tourist visa run legally, then the tourist will have to pay around 1000 baht to have the ticket departure date changed to a date 30 days on, twice. The exact ticket change fees will depend on the exact dates as ticket prices vary from day to day on the budget airlines.

3. The cheapest way is to buy an e-ticket with a date 3 months ahead and edit the dates twice for the first 2 border runs and fly out on the original date after the 3rd border run. No ticket change fees required.

It may just happen that the Thai Immigration will start to check the validity of AirAsia tickets, and other budget airlines commonly used by tourists to travel to Malaysia on tourist visa runs.

Second-time-rounders

Could anyone tell me what happens to a second-time-rounder who has already been through Poipet with an air ticket within 30 days, then shows up again a month later with another air ticket, again within 30 days?

My situation is that I went to Aranya/Poipet but had to change the date on my air ticket. I printed out the change confirmation email and showed them it together with the ticket to get through.

BUT, I didn't exchange the ticket for a new one, in fact I didn't use it. The (now invalid) date on the ticket is within 30 days.

I have also done 3 x 30 days tourist TVOA + (60 + 30 + 7) days Tourist Visa before this current 30 days tourist visa on arrival.

They didn't check the ticket was valid last time. So I guess it should work.

But, won't they think it strange that I came back without using the ticket? Do they care about this or are they just enforcing the rules they are told to?

I think its worth a try to save the time and cost of going to Laos. If they turn me away I'll still have time to go there. Plus I get another chance to meet the ever cheerful Aranyaprathet immigration staff. Jeez I love those guys.

Any information or amusing excuses for not having used a ticket gratefully received. ;-)

Hi all

Just an update to let those interested know that i did the 2nd 30day stamp of my new 6month block at Ranong yesterday.

Apart from the rain :o it was the same as my last one.

No signs about that i could see,no questions about cash or onward tickets were asked and staff were nice and friendly.

As i left i asked to make sure and was told i could get one more 30day stamp there.

good luck all.

Lippy

"Proof of Onward Travel".

No mention of needing a flight ticket, flight itinerary or otherwise. Simply have a paid-up, valid train ticket to Penang, or perhaps a bus ticket from Nong Khai to Vientianne, or any other cheap ticket which crosses at a land border.

You may even be able to re-fund the train ticket (maybe someone can confirm?) and then, let's say you get 50% back, it will have only added a couple of hundred Baht onto your visa run cost.

Yes, that is possible dantilley. FWIW I did a 'Visa On Arrival' run with Jack Total Golf today (May 13th) using their 5:00am bus to Aranyaprathet and my single rail ticket from Bangkok to Butterworth (cost 1,210 baht) was refunded, less 20% (in other words 968 baht was refunded).

Did you actually need the rail ticket out of thailand ?

If you did then why not buy one from padang besar to kuala perlis - be alot cheaper than bkk to penang !

HTH

KB

"Proof of Onward Travel".

No mention of needing a flight ticket, flight itinerary or otherwise. Simply have a paid-up, valid train ticket to Penang, or perhaps a bus ticket from Nong Khai to Vientianne, or any other cheap ticket which crosses at a land border.

You may even be able to re-fund the train ticket (maybe someone can confirm?) and then, let's say you get 50% back, it will have only added a couple of hundred Baht onto your visa run cost.

Yes, that is possible dantilley. FWIW I did a 'Visa On Arrival' run with Jack Total Golf today (May 13th) using their 5:00am bus to Aranyaprathet and my single rail ticket from Bangkok to Butterworth (cost 1,210 baht) was refunded, less 20% (in other words 968 baht was refunded).

Did you actually need the rail ticket out of thailand ?

If you did then why not buy one from padang besar to kuala perlis - be alot cheaper than bkk to penang !

HTH

KB

Good point Khun Bob, that did cross my mind but as I was absolutely, positively told (by Jack Total Golf) that anything other than an "air ticket" would not be accepted at Aranyaprathet, I didn't want to tempt fate any further than I thought I was already doing - by purchasing a rail ticket originating slap-bang on the border.

To be honest I went down to Aranyaprathet yesterday anticipating a confrontation and I was quite prepared to go toe-to-toe if necessary in order to stand-up for my right to chose whatever mode of transport I wanted to "exit the Kingdom". As it happens both exit and entrance Immigrations Officers politely examined my rail ticket, said a few words and then allowed me to exit and re-enter the LOS without hindrance; FWIW it was very smooth.

No point in quoting me. I conceded early yesterday that this is a genuine issue.

An example of the best a long term "tourist" can hope for is:

Day 1 enter Thailand with tourist visa issued in Penang. Extend permission to stay from 60 to 90 days.

Day 90 border run to Poipet with confirmed ticket to Penang. Get 30 days visa free

Day 119 fly to Penang and get new visa

Day 120 re-enter Thailand with a new tourist and start process again.

At least the issue of 90 days in 6 months becomes academic and they can make half the immigration officers at Poi-pet redundant.

Previous suggestions about re-dating airline tickets to get 3 consecutive 30 day permits is only really practical if you initally pay for a full fare ticket (or know a good travel agent). Most cheapo fares are no change, no refund

Thinking ahead, Poi-Pet could tighten the ratchet a further notch and refuse re-admittance to those doing a border run and not holding a visa because they did not exit Thailand using the ticket they presented to gain admittance 30days previously.

I see on TV air-asia have ordered an Airbus A380 to use exclusively on the Bangkok-Penang route.

I really appreciate your “Thinking ahead” advice ChokChaiChas and it got me thinking...what if you re-entered LOS by train after you'd been issued your tourist visa? That could (would) circumvent any further 'ratcheting' at Aranyaprathet/Poi-Pet; no? :o

This is how I think it could work, using current scheduling and prices from AirAsia, State Railway of Thailand (SRT), Malaysian Railway (KTM) and Tune Hotels AND giving yourself plenty of notice; at least 30-days! Firstly you buy a one-way air ticket from Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur using AirAsia and then three rail tickets (*2 of which can be amended (BT50 per ticket) or cancelled (BT268 per ticket) as and when you choose for later use):

Rail ticket #1. Kuala Lumpar to Bangkok (actually this leg would consist of 2 tickets - KTM & SRT)

Rail ticket #2. Bangkok to Butterworth - Dated approx 30-days after ticket #1

Rail ticket #3. Butterworth to Bangkok - Dated approx 5-days after ticket #2

Your visa run itinerary and cost then should go something like this:

Day 1

1745 Depart Bangkok using AirAsia (1,972 baht)

2050 Arrive Kuala Lumpur

2100 Bus to Hotel, an AirAsia add-on (90 baht)

2215 Arrive Hotel 3-nights accommodation (1,200 baht)

Day 2

0900 Go to Royal Thai Embassy and apply for 2-entry tourist visa (2,000 baht). Show all 3 rail tickets (*2,420 baht)

Day 3

1100 Go to Royal Thai Embassy and collect Passport

2045 Depart Kuala Lumpur Rail Station (400 baht)

Day 4

0540 Arrive Butterworth Rail Station

1315 Depart Butterworth Rail Station (1,210 baht)

Day 5

0830 Arrive Bangkok Rail Station

Estimated time taken 3 days, 14 hours and 45 minutes

Now I'm assuming a big thing here, that is by providing the Royal Thai Embassy proof that you will be leaving and returning say within a 30-day period of arriving using your tourist visa, they will actually issue a double visa based on your rail itinerary. Does anyone know otherwise please?

So, although the cost here is close to 10,000 baht, the repeat of this journey some 9-months later - would only cost about 7,000 baht AND (by postponing and rebooking those rail tickets) you'd always have valid proof, when your last visa and extension expires, that you could fulfil Immigration's current additional 'Visa On Arrival' (VOA) requirement.

This then is my take on what ChokchaiChas kindly provided earlier:

Day 1 - Enter Thailand with double tourist visa issued in Kuala Lumpur. Extend permission to stay from 60 to 90 days.

Day 90 - Border run to Poipet, use 2nd tourist visa. Extend permission to stay from 60 to 90 days.

Day 180 - Border run to Poipet with confirmed rail ticket to Butterworth. Get 30 days visa free (VOA).

Day 210 - Border run to Poipet with confirmed rail ticket to Butterworth. Get 30 days visa free (VOA).

Day 240 - Border run to Poipet with confirmed rail ticket to Butterworth. Get 30 days visa free (VOA).

Day 270 - Fly to Kuala Lumpur and get a new double visa.

Day 275 - Re-enter LOS by train with a new double tourist visa and start process again.

One final thing...during the planning of your trip, always take into account National and Public Holidays in LOS and Malaysia as failure to do so could give you one nasty surprise (like closed Embassy).

Isnt that always the way ?? When boarding aircraft I often get asked for a proof of ticket in the old days when I was on visa free arrival.. I dont get asked if I have a non O..

So they enforce it at land borders also now ?? Is that the point ??

Just tell them you have an e-ticket on a ticketless airline.. That'll flommox em :o !!

they demand a printed confirmation (from your email) of your e-ticket confirmation!!! there is even an internet cafe near to the boarder where you can print it off.. so, if you dont show the e-ticket email confirmation (printed out) you cant get through the boarder!!!!!

(this is from direct experience - at poipet)

Just an update....

I was with Jack Golf today at the border that ISN'T Poipet (can't remember the name?) and YES, you definitely need an airline ticket out of Thailand within 30 days. Jack Golf said you didn't but, when we got there, you did. There were notices posted all over the place about it, and every single person on my bus was grilled about it (several had problems as they didn't have tickets with them).

Looks like there are going to be quite a few people stranded OUTSIDE Thailand as this continues.

Ah well, for me - time to go back to the US. Thailand has been great but just too many hassles. I've worked here before, and don't want to work here again but, as Thailand won't let me live here and live off savings from the US, I'll just go back to the US and work there.

Thailand's loss - not mine :-)

Just an update....

I was with Jack Golf today at the border that ISN'T Poipet (can't remember the name?) and YES, you definitely need an airline ticket out of Thailand within 30 days. Jack Golf said you didn't but, when we got there, you did. There were notices posted all over the place about it, and every single person on my bus was grilled about it (several had problems as they didn't have tickets with them).

Looks like there are going to be quite a few people stranded OUTSIDE Thailand as this continues.

Ah well, for me - time to go back to the US. Thailand has been great but just too many hassles. I've worked here before, and don't want to work here again but, as Thailand won't let me live here and live off savings from the US, I'll just go back to the US and work there.

Thailand's loss - not mine :-)

Thanks for joining thaivisa today just in order to say good-bye to us... post-9005-1179932396.gif

and... just for future reference on the next forum you join... if you can't remember the name of the city you visit on a visa run.... open your passport, thumb to the page that they stamped that day, and read the name of the city that's printed on every stamp.

:o

Enjoy your travels... post-9005-1179932411.gif

Edited by sriracha john

As near as I can figure, there are (4) land crossings into Cambodia. The stamp that you get has the name of the amphur or district on it. Or is it the province? Here they are from North to South. Aranyaprathet and Pong Nam Ron definitely require onward ticket, I'm not sure about the other two.

Kapcheung Checkpoint

Amphoe Kap Choeng

Changwat Surin 32210

------------------------------

Aranyaprathet Checkpoint

Amphoe Aranyaprathet

Changwat Sa Kaeo 27120

Pong Nam Rong Checkpoint

Amphoe Pong Nam Ron

Changwat Chanthaburi 22140

Klong Yai Checkpoint

Amphoe Khlong Yai

Changwat Trat 23110

I think an eticket will do cause nowadays they almost only work with etickets.I assume the imm check it on their computers......If not they make it very complicated and surely shows how much they are not evolving with new technology.By the way I still think they will compramise in one way with visa exempt rules.It will not surprise me when they dicover that their workload will decease when they will give a 60 or 90 day visa exempt like malaysia.

Much easier with all those expats and tourists coming in and out of Thailand.More convenience and capital spending in thailand I would say.Oke maybe they will say once 90 days out of 180 after that a tourist visa......

then it is very clear to everybody and everybody will know and have time to cope and think how they will manage.

but if imm will see the light anytime soon is the the big question......

Visa regs' bend my mind. Then the push and shove of opinions are all smoke and mirrors to me.

In short CAN I or CAN'T I do a visa run on a Multi-Non-O visa without an onward bound air ticket?

yes you can with the nonO ,it is not a visarun exempt.You have a visa and nothing will be asked.....

I stay with the multiple and no any problems.the airtickets thing is only for the 30 day exempt.means people entering without a visa.(but you have,so no problems)

Visa regs' bend my mind. Then the push and shove of opinions are all smoke and mirrors to me.

In short CAN I or CAN'T I do a visa run on a Multi-Non-O visa without an onward bound air ticket?

Yes you can

has anyone used a printout of an eticket? will that work?

YES!!! I have done this twice now. (last month and today!!) both times I printed my BA flight confirmation. (its a full pricede flexible ticket) so I can keep in changing it every month and never loose a penny.. eventauly I will get a full refund and buy a cheaper flight back home.

they dont scrutanise the printed ticket,, they just check that its a confirmation and the DATE, (that its within 30 days)

I did this at Aranyaprateth, (poipet) cambodia/thai border

Interesting thread. My situation is a bit different as I live in Cambodia most of the year and like to hop over to Thailand every month or so to do some shopping or pass through there on my way home.. The last time i crossed the border was April 2. I had no problem at Hat Lek. The funny thing is when I book my air tickets I go to Trat to do so.

I wonder if the local immigration people will have enough sense to see by my passport that I am really a resident of Cambodia and not bother with the rules. My guess is they will.

oyster

Yep, everybody on my bus had an e ticket. They don't check them on any computer at all - just the date and that it's paid. I just change my ticket every month, costs me a 300 baht fee.

Only one more visa run though and then back to the US and civilization for good. And already have a job offer paying me 5 times what I was making here. :-)

Thailand's on its way down fast, and I'm not planning on sticking around to see it happen. Sad as it was a nice country, but now even the Thais who didn't like Thaksin want him back!!