What banks issue JCB or UnionPay debit cards?

29 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

"Most (if not all) of the major shopping merchants accept UnionPay."

Lazada and Tesco Lotus don't accept UnionPay. Those are imo "major shopping merchants". There are more online thai stores/supermarkets which don't accept it. 

I only do cash on delivery with Lazada...and my nearby Lotus started accepting UnionPay about a year ago.

Edit: just confirmed with the wife she used her Bangkok Bank UnionPay debit card to pay for a Lotus purchase last month.

Edited by Pib

50 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Bangkok Bank hasn't got a clue what TPN is and how it works

TPN was created by both Bangkok Bank and UnionPay, so they know how it works. Whether or not understanding of the product trickles down into the customer service and sales teams is something different though.

The requirements for processing are weird. TPN credit is okay but not debit, servers can't be "cloud based" even if the server farm is in Thailand. I'm fairly certain the servers have to be plugged into some BBL office to get approval.

57 minutes ago, tom in bangkok said:

TPN was created by both Bangkok Bank and UnionPay, so they know how it works. Whether or not understanding of the product trickles down into the customer service and sales teams is something different though.

The requirements for processing are weird. TPN credit is okay but not debit, servers can't be "cloud based" even if the server farm is in Thailand. I'm fairly certain the servers have to be plugged into some BBL office to get approval.

I was one of the first in Jomtien branch to receive the TPN MasterCard November 12 2018. It took me less than a week to understand that the card was just a piece of junk compared to the VISA I had earlier. I talked to customer service and the manager at my branch. They had no clue about the difference between a card connected to TPN and a regular debit card. I contacted the head office on Silom Road in BKK. They didn't have a clue,and told me they would pass it over to another department and come back to me. After 3-4 email they couldn't give me an explanation. This was the head office in BKK. SO, I still say they don't have a clue. I have also seen several complaints on internet about the TPN MasterCard. Every Bangkok Bank VISA debit card expired December 31 2019, so every customer with a VISA have to replace it (for free) at a local branch. It's only January 7 so far. Think about what will happen when every Bangkok Bank customer has the new TPN debit card and starts using it the same way they did with the old VISA. I am lucky to have my K-Bank VISA which works everywhere. 

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

Every Bangkok Bank VISA debit card expired December 31 2019, so every customer with a VISA have to replace it (for free) at a local branch. 

The wife and I have a Bangkok Bank Visa debit cards....both still working just...used mine to get some cash 2 days ago....both cards good till Dec 2021.  And the wife has a Bangkok Bank UnionPay debit card also.

If you have a Bangkok Bank Visa "chipped" card it will continue to work until its expiration date.   And where Bangkok Bank use to say the Visa cards would stop working 31 Dec 2019 that was realing dealing with the "non-chipped" cards.  And I guess they have since revised that date to 15 Jan 2020 along with other Thai bank due to Bank of Thailand guidance.

The only cards to stop working after 15 Jan 2020 is those Thai bank cards that do not have a chip...have a magnetic stripe only.

5 minutes ago, Pib said:

The wife and I have a Bangkok Bank Visa debit cards....both still working just...used mine to get some cash 2 days ago....both cards good till Dec 2021.  And the wife has a Bangkok Bank UnionPay debit card also.

If you have a Bangkok Bank Visa "chipped" card it will continue to work until its expiration date.   And where Bangkok Bank use to say the Visa cards would stop working 31 Dec 2019 that was realing dealing with the "non-chipped" cards.  And I guess they have since revised that date to 15 Jan 2020 along with other Thai bank due to Bank of Thailand guidance.

The only cards to stop working after 15 Jan 2020 is those Thai bank cards that do not have a chip...have a magnetic stripe only.

Well, then they basically tricked me into canceling my visa card. Lovely 

6 minutes ago, Pib said:

The wording at Bangkok Banks website about expiring VISA debit cards 2019 had NOTHING to do with the magnetic stripe. I even had a link posted here twice at TV from Bangkok Bank so you're dead wrong. The expiration date on the cards has nothing to do with the date Bangkok Bank announced last year. Bangkok Bank wanted the MasterCard instead of VISA because of 2 reasons, they thought VISA's fees was to high, and Bank of Thailand prefers the TPN connected cards. If Bangkok Bank have changed the expiration date for all VISA debit cards, then the reason is just one: The TPN connected cards are a total <deleted> up, and I have explained why.

14 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

Well, then they basically tricked me into canceling my visa card. Lovely 

They didn't trick you. It was an official decision and you could read about it on Bangkok Banks website every day 2019. If they have changed their mind about the expiration date,then they have realized that the TPN connected MasterCard is c**p. 

17 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

They didn't trick you. It was an official decision and you could read about it on Bangkok Banks website every day 2019. If they have changed their mind about the expiration date,then they have realized that the TPN connected MasterCard is c**p. 

Nevertheless, they insisted my visa would expire, canceled it, issued me a union pay equivalent for free  then charged me for a mastercard that people here tell me doesn't work out of the country

In the meantime my visa card had over another year validity. 

23 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Hopefully you know that BB's Be1st Smart MasterCard is connected to TPN, Thai Payment Network. That makes it useless online if the company/store doesn't have their servers in Thailand. 

Thanks, but I never make payments on-line other than e-visas or Air Asia tickets.